Anyone got a nice Guacamole recipe? (1 Viewer)

Scientician 0.8

Supporter
Contributor
I made some chile tonight and had various Mexish stuff with it. I bought a jar of guacamole but it wasn't great. Anyone got a recipe I can steal?

Oh, I make this all the time.
Right.

One ripe avocado, chop it in half, and do the cool flying knife to the hand thing and pull out the pit.
Scoop the halves out, and put them in a little bowl.
Chop up half a clove of garlic really finely, fire it in.
Get some Cholula hot sauce or whatever, lash a bit in.
Little bit of salt, and squeeze in half a lime.
Get your fork out, and mash it up a fair bit but not so its totally slimly, just mushed up.

Plow into your Guacamole with vigor.

Thanks, Flashback, a supplimentary question, what is cholula?

Oh. Its just hot sauce.
Emm. Its not as hot as Tobasco, its more flavourful though, sort of spicey flavour.
I dunno, is there no daysunt hot sauce in Ireland yet?

Sake.
That can be your road to riches.
Cholula hot sauce importer to Ireland.
471630578_a37b9601e9.jpg

Use some finely diced green chili instead of the Chollula. Also can dice up a nice red tomato and through it in. A wee bit of cilantro is good too. And, a one avocado guac ain't gonna get you any where. Double or triple the recipe.
Then use the Cholulla too shake over the entire Mexican concoction. Chili, guac, cheese and sour cream rtc.

sour cream

oh jesus yeah. The sour cream is good stuff.
It used not so popular in Ireland.
The missus introduced me to it, and was asking for sour cream in the local Tescos or whatever, and the lads heard the accent and decided to be smart arses about it.
'I have some gone off cream for yeh out the back if you want to come with me to get it... heh heh heh'.

I strolled over, and dutifully informed them they were cunts, and they might want to get the fucking sour cream, and they might want to fucking jump to it.

Culchie fucks.

We normally don't put any chilli in the guac - it's there to cool your mouth, not to add fuel to the fire.

Mrs. egg_'s guacamole (as far as I remember):
some avocado
some crushed garlic
some roughly chopped cherry tomatoes
some sour cream
some (not hot) paprika

Mush up together

Not very precise, I know, but keep fiddling until it tastes right

edit: "Mrs. egg_'s recipe" kinda implies that she does most of the cooking, doesn't it? Since I started my current job she does, but it wasn't always this way

egg man, you need the bit of lime juice at least, no?

The Cholula is not mad spicey either, just brings up the flavour.
I'm not into the mixing in the tomatoes buzz, although I have seen that done.
Keep the tomatoes, chopped, on one side, the sour cream on the other, and the squak in the middle there for your various dipping pleasures.
If you need to mix, mix away on your own plate there.

Keeps the options open, always important in the post 9/11 era.

wee bit of cumin is nice too. not much cause there should be loads in whatever meat youre eating. Just ties it together.
Chili is a must! Sour cream is for the cooling.
Here, they've a new Mexican range in Lidl. Got a couple of the seasoning packs there last week. The taco mix is lovely with beef. Better than the Ol El Paso stuff by a mile. They also have this stuff you mix with sour cream thats a dip. Lovely! The also have guacomole mix that you just mix into 3 avocados. Didn't get any, as I'm waiting till it gets a bit warmer for Haas avocados. Not a huge fan of the smooth skined ones. Anyhow, would say its quite nice. Loads of my Mexican friends in LA, with wives that are amazing cooks, will use a powered mix for the guac. Worth a try.

2 medium avocados, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup tomato, chopped small, or salsa of your choosing
3 Tablespoons red onion, diced
1 Tablespoon lime juice, fresh squeezed
2 Tablespoons fresh coriander, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons jalapeno pepper, seeded & minced
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground to taste
1/4 teaspoon chili power
pinch cayenne pepper

da bomb

I'm with egg - no chilli
I don't like the idea of adding onion either

Personally:

Advocado
Garlic
Lime
Tomato
Corriander (who said cillantro?)

I'm trying to remember back to what they give you in mexico and from what I recall it was basically just advocado and tomato mushed up - not big on seasonings of any kind - very bland. But you dont see it as often as you'd expect. Mostly you are give a very hot loose sala type thing, but with no tomato in it. Hard to describe - like a homemade chilli relish.

Plug should row in here he has lots of Mexico experience.

Here's El Torito's guacamole recipe.(slow food mexi-chain in Cali)
They make it at your table, and its as good as any with the exception of Mijares, the best Mexican on the planet.

3 Avocado halves
1/2 lime
1 small chile pepper - diced
salt and pepper to taste.
1/2 cup pico de gallo (I used store bought but if you want to make it yourself its chopped onions, tomatoes, and cilantro - do not substitute salsa)
1 tbspn garlic powder

1) Scoop avocado out of skin.
2) add chile pepper and juice of lime
3) Mash with fork (it is very important to make sure you completely crush the little diced chile peppers or someone is going to have a very hot mouth)
4) Add remaining ingredients and fold (not mash) together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back