Anyone ever had to pay import duty/VAT on stuff ordered online? (1 Viewer)

DHL do it all for you, then charge you an "administrative fee" for the privilege.

This i learned the hard way.

nlgbbbblth said:
but if the stuff is normally delivered by An Post?

Very rarely. Only if they take the time to check the package. It's usually only the courier services that do it. Sometimes they let you think that you got away with it, only to send you a bill throught the post a few weeks later.

someone sent my flatmate an mp3 player in the post as a gift a few months back. an post delivered it, not the regular postman but the one who delivers slightly bigger parcels, and i answered the door and he said he couldnt let me have it unless i paid the duty of €30 or €40 to him. i didnt have it on me so he left one of those notes they usually leave when nobody is in to accept a package saying you have to go to such a place to collect it but he wrote on it that the duty had to be paid.

if its that small they'll hardly bother checking it? most cds and records ive had delivered the sellers have always marked down the value too, (americans have to state it i think), sometimes by a ridiculus amount.

Miss Piggy said:
if its that small they'll hardly bother checking it? most cds and records ive had delivered the sellers have always marked down the value too, (americans have to state it i think), sometimes by a ridiculus amount.

been ok so far (small items) but there's some TV on DVD stuff that I need to buy and don't fancy waiting til I go back there to buy (which looks like at least another year away)

As far as I know, if the weight is less than 4lb. and the declared value lower than $40, it should come in through the normal An Post channel. Otherwise a private company, the (something, not United) Parcel Service are apparently obliged to levy customs fees, excise duty and an unspecified 'administrative fee' which seems to involve locking your parcel in a cage in rural Germany until they decide it's ready for you.

Most decent retailers will happily mark down the value on the package, so long as you don't want it insured.

J.

Justin Toner said:
Otherwise a private company, the (something, not United) Parcel Service are apparently obliged to levy customs fees, excise duty and an unspecified 'administrative fee' which seems to involve locking your parcel in a cage in rural Germany until they decide it's ready for you.

Most decent retailers will happily mark down the value on the package, so long as you don't want it insured.

J.

Hehehe, that happened to me with a fancy pants record I ordered from Beta Lactam Ring in Oregon. I could track it online and it ended up spending a week in some place in Germany, via Belgium before it made it's way to me.
It's a catch 22 when it comes to paying duty on stuff like that. Normally you simply lie about the value to prevent paying duty and to prevent greedy postal workers thinking it might be worth their while getting their mits on it, but if you need it insured, then you obviously have to give the real value.
My experience was that the delivery guy (it was a courier) demanded 25 squids from me before he would hand over the record. Bit of a pain in the arse considering the amount I had already spent on it.....

I bought a drum machine off ebay a few weeks back and when it arrived An Post made me pay 45 euros for it. Fuckers. :mad:

i order region 1 dvds all the time (mostly off amazon.com) and i've never been charged any customs

however, my copy of August UNderground's Mordum was held for a few weeks because it was apparently banned here!!! i got it eventually though

I order online from the States all the time and not once have I been charged VAT don't know whether I have been lucky or not and my orders are normally a couple of hundred dollars. Most places I've ordered from have put less than the amount spent on the form attaching to the outside of the package. So maybe that's the reason why who knows

Alan Remorse said:
i order region 1 dvds all the time (mostly off amazon.com) and i've never been charged any customs

however, my copy of August UNderground's Mordum was held for a few weeks because it was apparently banned here!!! i got it eventually though
amazon.com ship from europe though, don't they? Wonder does that make any difference.

if you order from amazon.co.uk (they do region 1) you don't get charged VAT at all and they're really quick at sending stuff out.

I think it's just the luck of the draw. I've bought all sortsa stuff ranging from computer components to a new jacket. Never paid a penny!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back