Anyone at Babyshambles? (1 Viewer)

from hotpress.com

16 May 2005

Hot Press' Babyshambles correspondent Steve Cummins reports from the Trinity Ball and the Ambassador Theatre

Pete Doherty Watchers had a field day at the weekend with the ever-shambolic Babyshambles singer appearing at the Trinity Ball and Dublin's Ambassador Theatre on consecutive nights.

Although parents of Trinity students had ample cause for concern, it was Doherty's Saturday night headliner at the Ambassador that proved the most hazardous experience, with reports of skirmishes between security personnel and members of the audience.

According to Hot Press' Steve Cummins, a seasoned Doherty Watcher who was in attendance for both Babyshambles appearances, the ruckus erupted during the song 'Wolf Man', when Doherty attempted to bring people onto the stage:

"Pete got very angry when he saw a skirmish down below between security and his fans. He threw his mic down at one of the bouncers and then he jumped down and reportedly started hitting one of the bouncers. His manager and one of the roadies had to pull him back onto the stage," says Cummins.

Earlier in the night there were doubts as to whether the Babyshambles singer would even be joining his band. Cummins recounts:

"Doherty had kept the crowd waiting long enough and the general feeling, about an hour after the support band came off stage, was that he wasn't going to show. When he did the place went mad. The gig itself was amazing, and certainly a vast improvement on the previous night at Trinity

I really couldn't believe how s**t The Libertines were after all I'd heard about them. I've just seen clips of his new band live and they sound even worse.
I was expecting even moderately engaging indie rock.

pete doherty= spa

there I've said it.

I'll probably get someone giving me a dissaproving message now as I did when I was ranting about the Thrills. Apparently I'm just not intelligent enough to get them. Biggest compliment ever!

With you all the way. ;)
cpr said:
pete doherty= spa

there I've said it.

I'll probably get someone giving me a dissaproving message now as I did when I was ranting about the Thrills. Apparently I'm just not intelligent enough to get them. Biggest compliment ever!

aoboa said:
I really couldn't believe how s**t The Libertines were after all I'd heard about them. I've just seen clips of his new band live and they sound even worse.
All those new bands that have names beginning with "The" are all clones of each other, and are all bad.

These include:

The Arcade Fire, The Babyshambles, The Block Parties, The Detroit Cobras, The Franz Ferdinands, The Interpols, The Kaiser Chiefs, The Killers, The Kills, The Kings of Leon, The LCD Soundsystems, The Libertines, The Maximo Parks, The Rapture, The Strokes, The Tom Veks, The Von Bondies, The White Stripes and The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, amongst others.

Thayl said:
All those new bands that have names beginning with "The" are all clones of each other, and are all bad.

These include:

The Arcade Fire, The Babyshambles, The Block Parties, The Detroit Cobras, The Franz Ferdinands, The Interpols, The Kaiser Chiefs, The Killers, The Kills, The Kings of Leon, The LCD Soundsystems, The Libertines, The Maximo Parks, The Rapture, The Strokes, The Tom Veks, The Von Bondies, The White Stripes and The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, amongst others.

Don't forget those pricks The Beatles....oh wait I forgot I wasn't back in 1966! curse that jet lagging time machine...i get so damned confused on a Monday having spent the weekend back in time.

Ed said:
He's him.

Was in the Libertines and is in Babyshambles.
Famous for being a smackhead, less famous for penning tunes.
I though the first libertines album was a practical joke when i first heard it.
Certainly has one or two decent tunes in him.
Potential to die and become some shit folk hero is high.

This is so funny. Popstar stake s drugs, how original. I wonder how long I can go without ever hearing any of his/their music? I guessing my whole life.

Thayl said:

These include:

The Pink Floyds, the Joy Divisions, the REO Speedwagons, the Elvis Presleys, the Ludwig Van Beethovens.

The security firm at the ambasador are fucking vile. They spent the entire night assaulting and turfing out kids who were just a little over excited. I've seen them pull similar shit before. I bet they wont be doing the same thing at Slayer though.

don't remember very much of the trinity ball thing. maybe farrell can refresh my memory?
supposidly the guitarist just decided he was going to bed half way through the set though

MONDOBRUTALE said:
don't remember very much of the trinity ball thing. maybe farrell can refresh my memory?
supposidly the guitarist just decided he was going to bed half way through the set though

don't see what all the fuss is with people slagging them, can't remember much, but from what i can remember, they don't sound any worse than a lot of the bands that post here...

saw yer man doherty on channel 4 one night being interviewed. the guy just dribbled out nonsense. couldnt understand half the shit he was saying. poor junkhead no talent bum.

avernus said:
saw yer man doherty on channel 4 one night being interviewed. the guy just dribbled out nonsense. couldnt understand half the shit he was saying. poor junkhead no talent bum.

Was it this interview that was shown on BBC Four? It was a Newsnight special (Newsnight!!!! For fucks sake!) .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/4250857.stm

He was dribbling utter nonsense on this. And his attitude regarding his bust up with the Libertines seemed really childish. I think he is a tosser.

According to Popbitch Doherty and Kate Moss are djing in the VIP tent at Homelands.

I was at said gig and really enjoyed it a lot more then some of the beard stroking shit thats been peddled on these boards.
That said I've always had a lot of time for The Libs, they're one of my favourite bands of the last five years and although they get credit from most music mags and fans the 'muso' section seem to hate them???
Its more then likely due to Mick Jones "fuck it that will do" style of production that he uses to try and keep the original garage sound. Also being a Clash fan I enjoy Micks (lack of) production style (although Big Audio Dynamite we're shite !!) I think the song Up the Bracket could easily have sat on The Clash, Radio America on Sadinista, Dont look back into the sun on Give em enough rope to give a few examples.

I couldn't give a fuck about his junkie actions or celebrity stick bird its the music I'm about and as for slagging junkies why don't you lump that in when describing The Pistols, The Sones, The Clash, Depeche Mode, Stone Temple Pilots, Janes Adiction and countless other bands I've no time to mention..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back