Any one know about GPS systems for cars? (1 Viewer)

Ferox13

My mum is interested in getting one and I know feck all about them..

What features should i be looking for?

What is the price range and the differences between the cheaper and more expensive models?

Are they easy to fit?

Re: Any one know about GSP systems for cars?

I too would welcome this information

you can get ones now for as little as 50 squid i think, no real "installation" as such, just plonk in anywhere you like, like a mobile phone in a holder.

GSP system: a GPS system voiced by George St. Peirre

georges-st-pierre-thumb-332x500-9280.jpg

Attachments

• georges-st-pierre-thumb-332x500-9280.jpg
    georges-st-pierre-thumb-332x500-9280.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 15

Yeah I posted a similar question on the off topic section of an MMA site i go to....Damn i got a lot of Canadian jokes. Took me a while to cop on my typo..

There is no setup required.
You attach the suction pad to the windscreen & the charger to the cigarette lighter & away you go.
You can even charge it up with the plug charger & carry it round with you if you want.

I'd recommend getting a GPS with bluetooth.
That way, you can use it as a hands free kit for your car.
For this you have to sync your phone & the GPS (which is easy & only has to be done once).
The GPS then has access to your phone contacts so you can make & receive calls by using the GPS touch screen.

Features like "traffic updates" & the one that tells you where the speed cameras are, are only for the UK so don't worry about those.

I've only used Garmin. The reviews seemed to suggest that they had better maps for the UK & Ireland than TomTom.
I've found them pretty good but have nothing to compare them to.

What is the price range and the differences between the cheaper and more expensive models?
from having bought one as a present a year ago - i paid €100 for an old model (older maps, so new roads wouldn't be on it), but that would have been at least €150 for the equivalent 'new' model.
one of the big differences in price would be the maps bundled - UK and ireland is baseline, and if you add western europe, it adds significantly. the one i got had the european maps, and if you try halfords, you might get lucky, because it was in december i got it, so they may be doing a similar clearance this year.
beware that updating maps costs typically nearly as much as a new unit, if you buy a cheap one. i.e. buying new is considerably cheaper than buying an older model and updating the maps.

You can download torrents of new maps, I don't think the software (at least for the Tomtom) even has to be cracked nor nuffin

I'm thinking seriously about getting this one for my Mum:

GARMIN nüvi 265WT GPS for Europe

g_03056512.jpg

€140 online - huge amount of bundled maps..

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3118900/art/garmin/nuvi-265wt-gps-for-europe.html#tech-specs

That looks grand.
I certainly don't think you'd need anything more than that.

Just tell her not to leave the GPS (or even the holder) stuck to the windscreen when the car is unattended.
My van was broken into & the GPS was taken from the glove box cos they saw holder on the windscreen.

Bastards.

That looks grand.
I certainly don't think you'd need anything more than that.

Just tell her not to leave the GPS (or even the holder) stuck to the windscreen when the car is unattended.
My van was broken into & the GPS was taken from the glove box cos they saw holder on the windscreen.

Bastards.

Actually a guy posted this very info on an MMA board with regard to having cars broken into..

I think i might splash out and buy it for her....

Do, they are a great yoke to have and in having done about 50,000 miles in the last couple of years with a Garmin it only fecked up once...

Yeah going to order it today for her...- she'd love a patrick Steward :)

Can you download celebrity voices for it

Bastards.

Better still, make sure she wipes the screen clean where the suction cup was in place, as they can sometimes leave a tell tale ring on the screen anyway.

Or even better, try buying one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LRMS66/?tag=thumpedcom-20

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back