Anti-War Events (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter ant
  • Start date
  • Replies 35
  • Views 4K
  • Watchers 4
Peoples should try their best to get down to shannon on Saturday for the protest. Converging at 2pm at the entrance to the airport. The more the merrier. The louder the better. Sick of the shower in power?

Critical Mass Event Feb 15th

Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 08:19:28 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Stop the Drive to War – Cycle for Peace
To: [email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last month we asked if critical mass should take part
in the March against War on 15 February. The response
was unanimously positive.

Many people made the point that cycling reduces
dependence on oil and can make resource wars like the
one planned by Bush and Blair less likely.

WHAT YOU CAN DO…
BRING YOURSELF, your friends, and your bikes to the
Garden of Remembrance at 2pm on Saturday 15 February
and cycle along with the Critical Mass contingent.

PRINT AND DISTRIBUTE leaflets – content up to you, but
it might be a good idea to include a couple of basic
Critical Mass regular Last-Friday-of-the-Month cycles
will resume on 28 March
To be notified about Critical Mass cycles, send a
blank email to [email protected]
(no spam, one email per month)

HELP PUBLICISE the resumption of Critical Mass – get
in touch with ideas, or if you are willing to help.

=====

To get ONE email per month, with a reminder of when the critical mass cycle is on, send a blank email to [email protected], and reply to the confirmation email. Encourage all your friends to subscribe.

Feb 15

Pete

Any chance this can be moved to the general forum. More people may read it. Maybe we should have a thumped/things/eirecore segment to the march. Bring your percussive instruments and make a noise

I feel like the luckiest american in the world, I'm here in Ireland and not in the stifiling atmosphere of the states, though I live in seattle when I'm there which is a VERY progressive and anti-bush town, but the rest of washington state is quite conservative and historically has supported every military action that the us have been involved in . But now there are elderly grannies and retired military people galore involved in protesting us military adventurism against Iraq... it probably comes as no suprise that the 'mainstream' media didn't/doesn't talk about the thousands of anti-war protesters on the streets of seattle and many many other us cities every day for the last couple months. Because of the huge military presence and integration into the economy of washington state (Boeing's military divisions, the nuclear sub bases at bangor and bremerton, the navy shipyards in tacoma, the ft. lewis army base close to olympia etc), it somehow makes the protests of SO MANY 'regular' people(ie, not tattooed pierced freaks like me) seem more hopeful. I'd venture that many more americans than ever see the threat of war against Iraq as what it really is--an absurd attempt by a kleptocratic ruling class to boost their wealth and power over the world's resources. It bears remembering that gw bush signed execution death warrants for well over 100 people during his tenure as govenor of texas, and yet couldn't be bothered/felt no moral obligation to witness a single execution. I'd argue that it should be the law of the land that if a govenor has the moral certainty that a given person should die for their crime, then the person signing that death warrant should be the one to flip the switch/start the flow of chemicals. Probably preaching to the converted, but it feels good to vent...

Anti-war protest planned for Saturday

March 27, 2003

(20:21) The Anti-War movement has appealed to everyone who opposes the war to take to the streets of the Dublin this Saturday for a second national demonstration.

Representatives from the Conference of Religious in Ireland, non-government organisations and the main Muslim groups here joined forces in Dublin this afternoon to announce details of the march.

SIPTU's Vice President Jack O'Connor said the union was backing Saturday's march in protest at Ireland's role in an illegal and unnecessary conflict.

Richard Boyd Barrett of the Anti-War Movement said they were calling on people to join the protest to demand that the Government end the use of Shannon Airport by US troops.

He said the Anti-War movement would make life 'unbearable' for the Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern and his Government until this was achieved.

CORI, the group representing Catholic religious orders, has called on the Government to immediately halt the usage of Shannon for the purpose of aiding the war effort.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2003/0327/6news/6news56_1i.ram

Protest on Wednesday

There will be an evening session in the dail tomorrow night and there are plans to encircle the dail and prevent any TDs from leaving ......... at least not without running the gauntlet of a few hundred angry people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back