Anti-Fascist pickets of TCD in opposition to Nick Griffin (BNP) visit (2 Viewers)

subbuteo !

Website
Visit site
Friday 14 October; 1:00pm
and
Saturday 15 October; 3pm

Meet at front gates of TCD, College Green.

Nick Griffin, leader of the far right BNP, has been invited to speak at an event in Trinity College Dublin on the 20th October entitled "This House Believes Immigration Has Gone Too Far".

two pickets, in the run up, to put on pressure on the authorities to withdraw the invitation.

Is this the same idiot society who got Pete Doherty over for a speech a few years back?

Fucking TCD attention seekers.

P.s. Brits out. That's what this protest is about yeah?

Saw a few stickers around attacking tcd for inviting fash over, didn't realise it was this idiot.
Anyone see the MacIntyre investigation into the bnp few days ago? bizarre stuff to say the least.

Why shouldn't a college allow controversial figures to discuss controversial topics? I'm going to go and picket the picketers

They shouldn't 'cos it's tacky and gives a platform to a fascist, racist, buffoon who should never get the time of day from any respectable forum or media outlet.

there's a hell of a difference between denying someone their say and not inviting a racist dickwad like griffin to give him a soapbox.

Someone in the trin invited him over either because they admire him, or they think it'll be a laugh or because immigration is an interesting topic and it would be instructive to get a right-wing view, or some other reason. This is the kinda thing universities do. Trying to get trinity to cancel his appearance is basically the same thing as denying him his say. I want to be allowed go and listen to whoever i like whether antifa approves or not. Why cant they just have a normal protest outside and maybe present their own views should the opportunity arise after his talk?

Freedom of speech isn't the same thing as giving someone a platform for their bullshit. They don't invite me to talk on something, that doesn't mean they've denied my freedom of speech.
I wasn't talking about the picket by the way (which I support), I was talking about the fucking arseholes in the college that invite the guy over. It's probably for sport, but shit like that can backfire, and the fascists can unironically use the fact that Griffin talked at a prestigious Irish university in their propaganda. Bad form, whoever invited him over. They should be ashamed of themselves.

What does the house debate title even mean? Immigration has gone too far in Britain? in Ireland? Everywhere? Griffin isn't well placed to talk about the immigration situation in the Republic of Ireland and I can only think he was invited over as an edgy publicity stunt for the college debating society. It's a cheap move, will generate a bit of a stir, and he'll still be a racist, fascist cunt at the end of it.

I just had a quick google and found this journal.ie article - the philosophical society of a university are having a debate on a topical issue which raises ethical and moral questions - the stuff of philosophy. presumably there will be somebody arguing against griffin. this isnt about giving someone a platform for their bullshit, or even a stunt (although there may well be some mischievous glee at the possibilities) - its students having a debate about serious issue.

I just had a quick google and found this journal.ie article - the philosophical society of a university are having a debate on a topical issue which raises ethical and moral questions - the stuff of philosophy. presumably there will be somebody arguing against griffin. this isnt about giving someone a platform for their bullshit, or even a stunt (although there may well be some mischievous glee at the possibilities) - its students having a debate about serious issue.

“This House Believe Immigration Has Gone Too Far” - Seriously though, as I said already. What the hell does that mean and why would Griffin be well placed to comment on it? Leaving aside the issue of giving him a platform, other than being a publicity stunt why would he be a good candidate to debate presumably Irish migration policy?

But "Immigration" is a sort of amorphous concept. Are they talking about immigration into Ireland? I mean I'd hope they are since Trinity is in Ireland, and if this is the case what the fuck relevance does Nick Griffin's particular views on the matter have? I could understand if it were a debate like "Should Europe close its doors?" or if they had invited some ICP headtheball to talk. But this stinks of a crass publicity stunt, the only possible beneficiaries of it being Griffin and his troglodytic party.

But "Immigration" is a sort of amorphous concept. Are they talking about immigration into Ireland? I mean I'd hope they are since Trinity is in Ireland, and if this is the case what the fuck relevance does Nick Griffin's particular views on the matter have? I could understand if it were a debate like "Should Europe close its doors?" or if they had invited some ICP headtheball to talk. But this stinks of a crass publicity stunt, the only possible beneficiaries of it being Griffin and his troglodytic party.

I don't see what's amorphous about the concept of immigration. I don't care what kind of immigration they're debating or who's debating it, I just don't like to see some crowd galloping in on high horses attempting to dictate what kind of message that people (myself or yourself for example) should be allowed to listen to. I can make up my own mind about immigration.

I don't see what's amorphous about the concept of immigration. I don't care what kind of immigration they're debating or who's debating it, I just don't like to see some crowd galloping in on high horses attempting to dictate what kind of message that people (myself or yourself for example) should be allowed to listen to. I can make up my own mind about immigration.

Well migration happens and has always happened. If they say "Immigration has gone too far" they should be specific about where that immigration has taken place in my opinion.

Anyway beyond that, Trinity has every right to invite any arsehole they want to talk on any topic, but you or I or AFA should be allowed protest it, especially if it's a publicly advertised event in a non-private institution like a university. You might disagree with their disagreement and Trinity will probably ignore the picket but all of these are an exercising of freedom of speech I suppose. I never said they didn't have a right to have someone I disagree with on, I just think it's a bad fucking idea and wouldn't be too upset if this were cancelled. I can safely say there's nothing useful about immigration into Ireland that Nick Griffin can tell us that we don't already know.

I've no problem with protests, its harassing the authorities to withdraw the invitation that I have a problem with it. I hope the authorities tell them to fuck off with themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back