animal rights and punk ? (1 Viewer)

Really good thread Byrne, for me i got into vegetarianism and eventually veganism, directly through brainwashing on Conflict/ Riot/clone / Liberty/ rest of the peace punk records from the age of about 15/16. Depite being a Vegan for about 12/13 years, I really couldnt give a fuck about animal rights anymore, dispite being well fuckin into it when I was a young fella. I cant ever see meself eating meat again, am more concened by animal welfare than rights these days.

Just on what Ray said about sports, I have being boxing/ Kickboxing/ mma and other martial arts for about 6 years now, and never find myself lacking in energy or strenght...it certainly hasnt affected my rather robust stature!

well suprising how many veggie skinheads ya meet though!

Just on what Ray said about sports, I have being boxing/ Kickboxing/ mma and other martial arts for about 6 years now, and never find myself lacking in energy or strenght...it certainly hasnt affected my rather robust stature!

well suprising how many veggie skinheads ya meet though!

someone lent clodagh a book about vegan nutrition etc specially for sports.
wrote by some lad that does triathlons and those mad 24hours desert races etc as far as i know.
will try root out the name for ya's

I remember Pitchshifter in The Mean Fiddler shirtlessy showing off how fit they were and telling everyone they should become vegans.
I've been a veggie for years and I'm a fat bastard. I blame cheese.

ANYONE LOOKING 4 A CHEAP TURKEY BY ANY CHANCE?!
DIED HUMAINLY! IE-OLD AGE!
ALSO CHEAP HAMS AVAILABLE FROM UR LOCAL GARDA STATION!
DONT DELAY! EAT A PIG TODAY!

hello all,
I'm new to this forum and haven't posted before.
I was intersted in the comments about AR.
I've been a vegan for 20 years, and veggie for 5 years before that, was a very active sab and AR campaigner in my past but dont get the time nowadays, so just to let you know where I'm comming from. Though in my youth, I started thinking about animal rights long before I even discovered peace punk or any punk for that matter.
I'm dissapointed to see so much apathy regarding the issue.
To me, being a punk has never been about clothes or what bands you listen to but about what you're prepared to do to stop the wrongs you see arround you, and make the place a better place to live in, this includes standing up to those who promote hate, biggotry,war, poverty, world hunger, cruelty to sentient life and all other wrongs, and instead promote compassion . Though I appreciate not everyone sees punk as this and has their own views as what it should be. But without the direct activisim, is it not only a music scene, no different from any other? I really hope the younger generation of punks / activists continue to fight for those who can't.
I think I'm more mellower now than I was and agree you can't judge people by what they eat, I've met too many meat eaters who are much more sefless than I am to assume that.

good discussion. listening to punk rock has led me to question all aspects of life. one of them was the food i ate. Bands like Flux (and even the smiths) had a huge influence on me as a kid and helped shape my thinking. It just seemed logical to turn veggie and then vegan. It is good to constantly question your actions though as they can just become habitual

does this really need to be discussed again, people either feel strongly enough about it to not eat animal produce or they dont. i dont mean to be disrespectful to anyone who feels very strongly about it (i dont eat meat myself), but tryin to make a wrong or right out of it just seems pointless, none of us know whether it really is right or not in the grand scheme of things because none of us really understand (and i doubt we ever will) our place in this vast cosmic arena. live how you feel is right. i feel we should be as considerate as possible to everything around us, veggie and vegan are just human words at the end of the day, they just describe a sentiment, being considerate to your surroundings and taking only what you need is whats important in my eyes.

does this really need to be discussed again, people either feel strongly enough about it to not eat animal produce or they dont. i dont mean to be disrespectful to anyone who feels very strongly about it (i dont eat meat myself), but tryin to make a wrong or right out of it just seems pointless, none of us know whether it really is right or not in the grand scheme of things because none of us really understand (and i doubt we ever will) our place in this vast cosmic arena. live how you feel is right. i feel we should be as considerate as possible to everything around us, veggie and vegan are just human words at the end of the day, they just describe a sentiment, being considerate to your surroundings and taking only what you need is whats important in my eyes.

But I think it's right to wage war on my enemies, annihilate them and enslave their women. No one can tell me I'm going to eventually fuck everything up if we don't discuss it.

I think it's an interesting conversation, I was veggie for years but lapsed a while ago because I didn't care anymore, but this has got me thinking again.
I don't think I'm going to give up meat but I want to stop until I can find somewhere animals are raised slightly humanly, and buy from them.

does this really need to be discussed again, people either feel strongly enough about it to not eat animal produce or they dont. i dont mean to be disrespectful to anyone who feels very strongly about it (i dont eat meat myself), but tryin to make a wrong or right out of it just seems pointless,

don't think anyone really was taking any moral high ground. etc....well besides janer.
thought there was some interesting open discussion on it for once to be honest.

Squiggle you're like most failed Veggies on here, you twist your failings into a some warped spin on why it's better to be a meat eater, I have more time for meat eaters then failed Veggies.

are you sure its warped, are you sure they are failings and are you sure she's actually saying its better, or is it just that its not identical to your failed, warped and worse lifestyle choices that you would say that, or is it just the malnutrition?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back