animal rights and punk ? (1 Viewer)

Plus, meat is yummy! I know quite a few vegan punks who literally drooled at the mention of a nice juicy steak :)

Meat is only yummy because from the age of about 6 months almost every infant is encouraged to "eat up your meat, it'll make you big and strong". So CONDITIONING is a major hindrance to people accepting that a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle is even possible, let alone preferable.

Meat is only yummy because from the age of about 6 months almost every infant is encouraged to "eat up your meat, it'll make you big and strong". So CONDITIONING is a major hindrance to people accepting that a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle is even possible, let alone preferable.

I can't agree with you on that. And a vegetarian lifestyle that requires consumption of imported, processed and genetically modified food products for sufficient nutrition is certainly not something superior to a diet of locally grown and produced foods.

Strip my punk points but I'm not a veggie and I never was. When I was a lil younger and I did think about switching, it was only to complete the package and be p.u.n.x. In my mind it was just the thing to do, but I'd hate to do something like that for the wrong reasons, and give a bad reputation to people who are dead serious about their animal rights/vegetarianism/veganism. In a way I'm glad I didn't...

Was the same boat for me. I was also involved in sport (shock horror) and i was underweight as it was so i just thought i'd never keep the weight on if i gave it up

I can't agree with you on that. And a vegetarian lifestyle that requires consumption of imported, processed and genetically modified food products for sufficient nutrition is certainly not something superior to a diet of locally grown and produced foods.

i agree with you (squiggle).... but lets not pretend that most meat eaters diets are free from these problems as well.
if we are looking at it from sustainability,environmental and nutritional terms etc.

but as ya said in another post the economic factors play a huge part in general for people.for example ive no kids,steady job etc so i can afford to buy say organic veg,more expensive local products etc but some one else might be struggling to feed a family and cheap supermarket meat products and israeli apples might be the only option.

then again i didn't make them have kids :) so many issues inter twinted.

so many issues inter twinted.

This is it... when I was a vegetarian (for 4 years) I was aware of the issues with soy, so I avoided it. It made things tough, but if you are vegetarian for ecological reasons (and not just animal welfare) then eating something that is reguarly sprayed with pesticides and weedkiller (genetically modified soy is modified to be resistent to Roundup, absorbing it rather than dying) and imported from other countries (the only soy grown here was used for animal fodder, not suitable for human consumption) was not justifiable for me.

And, if you truly do want to protect animal life then supporting soy production is a big no-no. Its production results in the death of so much wildlife. I know farmers who were involved in the initial experiments with soy production in Ireland and have heard from them first hand about the negative impact on indigenous flora and fauna.

Even Organic food has its issues, Organic Chicken, for example, can still be battery farmed.

In my ideal world we'd all grow our own food, or obtain it from someone we know who has produced it. I think Board Bia are doing a good job of encouraging traceability of food in Ireland. We should all make sure we read the lables, buy Irish when we can (for economic and ecological reasons) and make conscious choices about what we eat... but sometimes that's a lot of hard work.

Squiggle you're like most failed Veggies on here, you twist your failings into a some warped spin on why it's better to be a meat eater, I have more time for meat eaters then failed Veggies.

Squiggle you're like most failed Veggies on here, you twist your failings into a some warped spin on why it's better to be a meat eater, I have more time for meat eaters then failed Veggies.

I'm not a failed veggie. I'm genetically incompatible with a vegetarian lifestyle. But that is beside the point.

haha..did you just go and take a picture of your dog's scar? if so have a few hundred rep points

Squiggle I apologise for calling you a failed Veggie, these debates never bring out the best in me.
and yes Johnny I did!!!

I actually don't get the taunt from Nooly :(

Yes, people need to ensure that they're educated about what they're eating... and that includes you :) While what you've said about the meat industry might be relevant in the US and other parts of the world it is not relevant here in Ireland. Use of steroids in meat production is illegal here. Battery farming does not exist here in the way that it does in other countries (except maybe chicken, but free range chicken is easily and readily available). Irish produced food is among some of the best and highest quality in the world. And there are more chemicals allowed on the fruit and veg you buy in the supermarket than there are in the meat.

Regarding animal welfare... if we're not going to eat them then what do we do with them? Kill all male calves at birth and cremate them? Kill all cattle and stop consuming dairy too? They don't make good pets and feral cattle would pose a serious risk to motorists, walkers, cyclists and other members of the general public.
fair point that irish meat is less contaminated with steroids,but just because its illegal dosent mean it dosent happen.more people can be fed if crops are grown for human consumption rather than being grown to feed animals to fatten them for meat.most of the veg me and my family eat is home grown not from supermarkets,and i couldnt imagine a scenario where everyone was to become veggie all of a sudden,leaving (feral!!!)cows running round.

I wanted to be veggie way before I was into diy punk. In my home town when I was seventeen veganism was heavily promoted amongst the punks but in a way I think a lot of the self-righteousness of people who are so hardline about stuff is what eventually causes people to rebel, like a lot of aspects of life.

Here in Leeds most of the older punks have stayed veggie/vegan but amongst the younger crowd there are few. The younger punx value far more frugality and consequently feel that skipped meat should be consumed, hence they do. I really love the time and energy put into skipping here and have never witnessed this when I've been in Ireland.. not sure why? There are of course more influential members of the community who openly deride vegetarianism and also meat-eating can be observed as somewhat of a competitive sport.. who can eat the most and/or worst is lauded. There is a thoroughly nihilistic element to it (what happens when punx take black metal and themselves too seriously?). I do agree with Byrneos that things go in cycles and so hope this crazy behaviour will change for the better soon.

Personally I currently describe myself as 'vagun' (vaguely vegan) having never had a solid answer to whether, for example, Guinness draft is veggie..??? Also I never say never and won't deny myself a treat if I'm really down in the dumps/stuck for food abroad, so yeah, 99% vegan. Above all else I feel like I'm just letting myself down when I slip and always feel that being vegan and being truly my happiest, healthiest, most 'on it' self goes hand in hand.

Jenny you should post a link to your blog!

I've never considered being a veggie, to me it never had anything to do with being a punk or whatever. Just each to their own

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back