An Post Overcharging (1 Viewer)

Charlie Bucket

just compared two receipts from posting stuff: on tuesday i paid .75 to send a parcel to the uk. grand. on examing todays receipt for a parcel to the uk (which weighed 3 grams less!) i was charged 2.50:eek: WTF:mad: i shall be payin them a visit on monday with both receipts and looking for blood - i mean answers....

anyone else been gipped there? i know they bumped up their prices recently but.....:confused:

I sent an lp to america two weeks ago,cost me 10 euro,last week I sent one to New Zealand and it cost 4.50. They both arrived after about a week,Ican't figure it out at all. I thought it would cost more to NZ.

I'm from Germany and find many things here in Ireland exceptionally dear. But An Post here in Gort is thight-fisted and I have the feeling they are even OVERCHARGING! My sister sells a lot of stuff on ebay so they know her very well at the post office. They do NOT check the size of the envelope anymore even if it appears to be slightly over the limit (not a small envelope anymore but a large one). It has been like this from day one not just because she's such a good customer. She recently sent a large envelope that was 10 or 15 gram over the limit but they STILL sent it just mentioning that it might not get through if they weigh it again at another point. She risked that and it was just fine. Here in Gort it is a different story! After falsely being charged for a large envelope I made sure they do not do that again next time. They seem to be bothered if you ask them what makes it a large envelope rather than a small one. She took the envelope and went to a gauge or whatever and came back telling me (looking a little bit annoyed again) that it is at the limit.
FIRST: AT the limit is still WITHIN tolerance so DO NOT give me that look!
SECOND: If you already charge SO MUCH than it wouldn't hurt being more customer friendly!
But what REALLY freaks me out is this: I am pretty sure now that their scale is not correct! First I thought that our kitchen scale is probably not so accurate. But when a package weighed 255 gram instead of 230 gram (with our scale) I left and went to the post office in Ardrahan (on my way to work anyway). They don't have a fancy digital scale but that doesn't mean it's less accurate. And the pointer was clearly under 250 gram (probably in the 230 gram area). It cost me 3.35 € instead of 4.70 € which is 40% difference!

Here thew difference in postal rates:
Germany (to Ireland):
Packet up to 2 kg: 8.60 €
Parcel up to 5 kg: 17 €
Parcel up to 10 kg: 22 €
Parcel up to 20 kg: 32 €

Now Ireland (to Germany):
Packet up to 2 kg: 10.40 € (+ 20%)
Parcel up to 5 kg: 53 € (+ 211%) :eek:
Above 5 kg: Each Additional kg (max 20kg) 3 €
Parcel up to 10 kg: 53+(5*3) = 68 € (+209%)
Parcel up to 20 kg: 53+(15*3) = 98 € (+206%)

Rip Of Republic

best first post ever there by madonno!

Anyone on thumped a postman?

Sent a box of about 20 records to the UK there a few weeks ago, cost me €55. For that price i could have got a ryanair flight over and hand delivered the fuckers.

i think the thing is to find a post office (preferably local) that charge the correct amount and then stick with them! its pretty fuckin shockin tho the "discrepancies" between different post offices! when the banks pulled that shit they had to pay it back.....

RSJ - did you send that box of vinyl from the GPO? they are "legendary" for overcharging (thats where i had the experience that started this thread a year ago!). Newcastle PO across from the Uni is bang on the nose - maybe thats cause its run by a labour councillor tho;)

i think the thing is to find a post office (preferably local) that charge the correct amount and then stick with them! its pretty fuckin shockin tho the "discrepancies" between different post offices! when the banks pulled that shit they had to pay it back.....

RSJ - did you send that box of vinyl from the GPO? they are "legendary" for overcharging (thats where i had the experience that started this thread a year ago!). Newcastle PO across from the Uni is bang on the nose - maybe thats cause its run by a labour councillor tho;)
so i'm dying to find out... how did it work out in the end?

Nah, it was the one on father griffin road, next to the stupid value. Yer wan in there's a crank.

I send a good amount of packages away everyweek, mostly cds.

In my local post office in clontarf they are really cool in regards prices and from what I can tell are spot on aswell as being sound with letting something go out at the cheaper price is something is on the edge of going over to the next price section weight wise.

The last few months I have been working in Drumcondra so I my post their everyday. Mostly there is a man who works there and while he seems like a nice guy he charges way more than my local post office and way more than his female colleague who works their some days. So whenever its a case of both of them working there I always hope to get the women instead. I definetely think Im being charged too much but I tend not to make an issue of it since I include postage costs in the price I sell my cds. Still though it all adds up in the end.

the amount of money it costs to post records out of ireland is unbelievable, compared to say sending the same amount into the country, in some cases, its about half the price.

for example, 41 euro for 25 LPs to the UK, 56 euro for 25 LPs to Germany, etc...

its ridiculous...

in some cases it's better to drive up north an post from there!
or wait for a bulk of records and ryainair yourself and the records!!!

crazy...

the amount of money it costs to post records out of ireland is unbelievable, compared to say sending the same amount into the country, in some cases, its about half the price.

for example, 41 euro for 25 LPs to the UK, 56 euro for 25 LPs to Germany, etc...

its ridiculous...

in some cases it's better to drive up north an post from there!
or wait for a bulk of records and ryainair yourself and the records!!!

crazy...

Yeah it is insane alright but would you not add postage costs into your sales price with whatever customer/distributor you are dealing with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back