Amp on standby (1 Viewer)

damien

Since 2000
So everyone knows that it's extremely bad to have your amp turned on when it's not connected to the speaker.

But is it 100% ok to be unconnected and on standby?

Eg - You're next up on the bill, but there's only a 10 minute changeover and you want your amp to warm up a bit before you hit the stage.

First thing I do is plug in the amp. By the time guitar is tuned,and all leads and pedals from guitar to amp are sorted I've always considered enough time for an amp to warm up.

hmmm sounds dodgy,
this'd be much safer!

http://www.tonebone.com/tb-headbone-vt.htm

I would pretend me arse was a vagina and let dudes ride me for this set up
headbone-vt-3d-setup-w-logo.jpg

I am defo doin' the lotto today.

Mmmmm gazz, what you do with your arse is your own business, but there's need to have a willy up there just so you can disconnect a speaker while your amp's on stand-by.!! :)
In most valve amps the stand-by disconnects the high voltage in the amp. The means there's no power source to drive current through the valves and output transformer, so having no speaker is no problem.

Damien three things though 1. I wouldn't be happy with it in a bar because who's to say some drunken idiot wont flip the switch on you, 2. your amp only needs about 60 secs to warm up so why is it a problem in the first place? and 3. be careful as some amps don't fully disconnect the high voltage when stand-by is engaged, what amp do you have?

Well if it only needs 60 seconds to warm up, its not really a problem. I always figured it was supposed to be a lot longer than that. My amp's a Soldano Avenger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back