american english - it's funny (2 Viewers)

Ex-User (250)

Since 2000
they pronounce measurements as "meeesurements". also, i was asked yesterday if irish people hate americans because the french do. i said it would take a lot more than a "silly conflict" to sour relationships between the irish and the americans and that the french were notoriously arrogant. did i do bad?

hag said:
they pronounce measurements as "meeesurements". also, i was asked yesterday if irish people hate americans because the french do. i said it would take a lot more than a "silly conflict" to sour relationships between the irish and the americans and that the french were notoriously arrogant. did i do bad?
Do the French hate Americans? Or do the Americans you're talking to just think like teenagers? As in, "We talked so much shit about them that we'll just assume they hated us first." ?

I don't pronounce things like that. I pronounce 'measurements', "Nine inches?! Me arse!"

i'm on training over here. these are nice, educated americans. dad and moms and stuff. the american press has told everyone the french hate the americans and they all believe it. and everyone here says meeeeeeeeasurements. so nerrrr.

Oh, and, since you asked, the appropriate answer would have been, "As a matter of fact, 'Europe' -- because it is such a small little cabal of folks -- all meets up down the pub every week to talk shit about Americans. And France is totally smart."

and also, i made excusese because it's very strange to talk to people who are so paranoid... these are the people, the average americans, who are going to elect the next president. if i said the french were nice guys, i bet i'd just spend the entire week trying to dodge funny looks...

hag said:
i'm on training over here. these are nice, educated americans. dad and moms and stuff. the american press has told everyone the french hate the americans and they all believe it. and everyone here says meeeeeeeeasurements. so nerrrr.
I know, Moms and Dads and all. I told you about my experience with 'educated' racists over Christmas, didn't I? Amazing. Amazing. Genuinely saw absolutely no validity in anyone else's culture, except for that of 'Americans', like 'real ones'. The irony of the fact that the conversation was conducted over a platter of cannoli was delicious. So were the cannoli. Which is why I put up with the conversation for so long (thought process: 'Cannoli? Dignity? Cannoli? Dignity? Mmmmmm, cannoli.')

Anyway, yes, there's a lot of talk about 'The French' over there. And 'The Such and such.' It's a way of making people think that all other countries present a unified stance, so that Americans will feel obligated to do the same.

jane said:
I know, Moms and Dads and all. I told you about my experience with 'educated' racists over Christmas, didn't I? Amazing. Amazing. Genuinely saw absolutely no validity in anyone else's culture, except for that of 'Americans', like 'real ones'. The irony of the fact that the conversation was conducted over a platter of cannoli was delicious. So were the cannoli. Which is why I put up with the conversation for so long (thought process: 'Cannoli? Dignity? Cannoli? Dignity? Mmmmmm, cannoli.')

Anyway, yes, there's a lot of talk about 'The French' over there. And 'The Such and such.' It's a way of making people think that all other countries present a unified stance, so that Americans will feel obligated to do the same.
it's kinda unnerving. ok people, we have to abolish the right to wage war for person gain. any ideas? wars to preserve honour etc. are ok.

heh heh heh, when there's good food on the table, my advice would be "just shut up and eat."

hag said:
it's kinda unnerving. ok people, we have to abolish the right to wage war for person gain. any ideas? wars to preserve honour etc. are ok.

heh heh heh, when there's good food on the table, my advice would be "just shut up and eat."
It's not about good food, but about cannoli, which transcend food itself. Food is nothing in comparison. Mmmmm.....cannoli....

Yeah, I forget about the whole effects of the media on Americans thing, until I'm there, when I'm reminded of it. Painfully.

I think this war should be settled by the means Liadain often suggests (of which I am becoming a strong advocate): foxy boxing.

While watching the anti-Bush marches recently in NY, I noticed some pro-Bush types on the pavement (or should I say 'sidewalk'?) waving placards at the protesters - the placards read 'Islam backs Kerry'. Is every single Muslim seen as a threat?

Catwoman said:
While watching the anti-Bush marches recently in NY, I noticed some pro-Bush types on the pavement (or should I say 'sidewalk'?) waving placards at the protesters - the placards read 'Islam backs Kerry'. Is every single Muslim seen as a threat?
Sigh. That'd be this lot: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/browse

(I hope that link works).

The only thing they love more than guns is Bush. And maybe Jesus.

jane said:
It's not about good food, but about cannoli, which transcend food itself. Food is nothing in comparison. Mmmmm.....cannoli....

Yeah, I forget about the whole effects of the media on Americans thing, until I'm there, when I'm reminded of it. Painfully.

I think this war should be settled by the means Liadain often suggests (of which I am becoming a strong advocate): foxy boxing.
yes, that is the ideal to strive for really. i would giggle with glee at seeing you and liadain engaged in such. please?

Catwoman said:
yeah... but, to be honest, i think most americans would feel better if all muslims were relocated to the moon. it's a whole lot of ignorance compounded by an inability to think outside my box.

jane said:
Sorry, um, we're the judges. Duh.

Edit: On second thought, how much would you pay?
*BORING*

edit: how much would i pay? to see the pair of you boxing in skimpy underwear? oh, around €100 i guess. it would have to be REALLY skimpy though. normal clothes... 50 cents.

jane said:
But Irish people say 'orientated', when 'oriented' is clearly the correct word.
touché

(please forgive the Fr*ench-ism)

Do you say " I could of.." instead of " I could have.."?

hag said:
yeah... but, to be honest, i think most americans would feel better if all muslims were relocated to the moon. it's a whole lot of ignorance compounded by an inability to think outside my box.
Uh, I don't think so. NASA's got plans for the moon, and it's 100% reserved for white American Christians.

No Mohammedans Allowed. It's what it says on the flag they're gonna stomp into the moon next time they're there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back