AGAINST ME! arrest (1 Viewer)

xiknowitsoverx

Altercation leads to arrest of Against Me! singer on charge of battery
By Nic Corbett
DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

The lead singer of the punk band Against Me! was arrested Tuesday morning following the band's show at the Beta Bar.

Tallahassee police filed a battery charge against Tom Gabel following an altercation before the show at a nearby coffee shop where a customer alleged that Gabel shoved the man's head against the counter.

The four-member band from Gainesville released its first album on a major label in July. It was listed as one of the top 25 greatest live bands last year by Spin magazine.

Onstage, Gabel told fans he was upset about having to go to jail afterward and that the whole thing was about people accusing him of "selling out" now that the band signed to a major label, said Spike Mott, 30, a bouncer at the Beta Bar.

Before the show, Gabel walked into the All Saints Cafe, 903 Railroad Ave., with his girlfriend.

Gabel ordered a lemon-ginger tea and headed to the bathroom, said Cody Cook, a barista at the cafe. On the way, he saw a flier with words denouncing the band with a caricature of him scrawled on it.

Gabel, 26, told police the obscenity made him mad. He grabbed the flier, crumpled it up and threw it in the trash.

Michael Hurley, 22, who was at the cafe with friends, said his friend Jared Smith, 22, asked Gabel why he tore down the article.

"(Jared) wasn't trying to provoke him or fight him at all," Hurley said.

Gabel started yelling at Smith.

"Jared said, 'This conversation is over.' Tom said 'I don't think it is,' ” said Cook, 21, a friend of Smith.

Smith told police Gabel knocked a cup out of his hand, grabbed his neck and forced his head into the wooden counter.

Gabel admitted to police he knocked over Smith's cup, but denied hitting him.

"Jared had no idea who this guy was," Cook said. "Tom just assumed everyone knew who he was."

Gabel was released on $500 bail.

On one hand, you push someone far enough, I can sort of understand them eventually snapping.

Same time, you jump ship to a major label after being DIY for a few years, thus breaking the hearts of a large chunk of the people who felt you actually meant something, you better get used to being accused of selling out.

moral dillemas, eh?

listened to the new album once yesterday. alot of pop on it.

think the new albums great, playing here oct. 24th, only €16 which is pretty good- saw them at roskilde this year and they were fucking amazing.

Fair play to him, yer man was probably a fuckin idiot. I heard somewhere he was taunted a lot more than the story suggests.

heard the new single on the radio the other day and i almost got sick.biggest pile of shit ive heard from anyband let alone one that used to be so amazing.the moron dj was going "i think this is going to be a very important album this year".yeh fuckin right.

heard the new single on the radio the other day and i almost got sick.biggest pile of shit ive heard from anyband let alone one that used to be so amazing.the moron dj was going "i think this is going to be a very important album this year".yeh fuckin right.

what radio station?

I'm not a huge fan of the music they've made the last few years (liked some of the older stuff) but i think it's pretty shit that Gabel's basically taking shit because he's a different person and holds different views now at 26 than at 20 when everyone was way into them. As someone on punknews said, "plan-it-x kids treat Against Me like an ex-girlfriend they don't care about but as soon as they fuck up, they go gloading all over the place about it".

And the thing on the notice board was a clipping from a local newspaper about the show they were playing that night across the road that someone had tacked McDonalds and Shell logos all over and wrote stuff about Gabel doing cocaine. The guy who got smacked's friend posted all about it the same night on some message board, i'll see if i can find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back