A question about sampling and samplers. (1 Viewer)

coast to coast

I went to see Andrew Bird and Animal Collective at the weekend. Both of them use samples and sampling fairly extensively in their music, either live or on record.

Andrew Bird and Dosh do most of it live it seems recording about 4 bars say and then looping that, recording more material over it, and so on and so forth.

Would I be right in saying that this is all then fed into a mixer on stage (I think Dosh had on in his set up) or how else are these samples controlled? How do they record them and manipulate them or is it a case of starting them and letting them run 'til you no longer need them to play?

And what sort of equipment would they use? I know Dosh said "there isn't a hidden computer up here!" and there's no computers in AC's set up also.

I know the Animal Collective use their own samples that they usually create themselves (whilst Panda Bear uses ones from records on Person Pitch). And I'm pretty sure Panda's set up uses two of these (or something similar).

Is that what Andrew Bird and Dosh use for creating live-sampling with a foot-switch maybe?

Or are the live sampling / pre-recorded sampling shit done in completely different ways with different equipment?

Anyone know.... they were both really really impressive. And completely different. I'm innaresting in how they do it. Does anyone else have any experience with using any of the equipment I'm talking about here, or something similar? In a live setting particularly I think its interesting.

I've got a roland sp808 that im thinking of selling...one of these

808.gif

I've got one and it's the single hip-hoppingest deadliness that I've added to the studio in years (outside of mics and preamps zzzzzzzzz).

I believe Keiron Hebdon (Fourtet) uses six in his live set-up but I haven't seen any of the other bands you mentioned live.
I can see why you'd need more than one if your gonna use them live tho. You can only play six samples at any one time and you can only use one effect in TOTAL at any one time which is a bit limiting. Obviously in the studio you can get around these limits but live you would just need another machine...or six.

Live loop pedals commonly used are the LINE 6 - green yolk and the AKAI Headrush. Headrush is a lot cheaper. Oh and Boss have a loopstation aswell I believe but i don't know anything about it. nice thing about the LINE 6 is that the loop function has delay aswell.

Sampler is the next thing im going to get gear wise.
Looking for some recommendations if anybody has some. Thanks.

Dosh was using samplers, I asked him about it afterwards but he's got 2 of them in his set up, I forget what ones he uses.

Andrew Bird doesn't sample so much as do live looping. He uses a pair of Line 6 DL4s (at least he did in Crawdaddy when I got a chance to look at his gear, I presume it was the same in Tripod) which are more of a delay pedal but they've got loop functionality built into them. I've got the Boss RC-20XL and I loves it, Final Fantasy uses it live too and I've never seen a better loop based live performer (as does Charles Bissell).

Yeah I went to see dosh in the roisin in galway there the last time they were here..After picking my jaw up off the floor, I was having a chat with him after...He's mainly using two looping pedals...Id say he's everything going through the mixer, with the two loopers and the dd-5 routed as sends..then you just send whatever you want to the loop pedal and record..Send the drums to a pedal, record..send the rhodes, record..and so on..He's using the RC-20 and another one..Its an amazing gig..Id strongly recommend checking him out..

Yeah I went to see dosh in the roisin in galway there the last time they were here..After picking my jaw up off the floor, I was having a chat with him after...He's mainly using two looping pedals...Id say he's everything going through the mixer, with the two loopers and the dd-5 routed as sends..then you just send whatever you want to the loop pedal and record..Send the drums to a pedal, record..send the rhodes, record..and so on..He's using the RC-20 and another one..Its an amazing gig..Id strongly recommend checking him out..

He's hoping to get back over for his own tour next summer when he's got his new record done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back