A new national anthemn (1 Viewer)

When I was in college they played it at the end of all the SU Disco's. A protestant friend and I were told "sit down, this isn't your anthem" by another friend of ours... needless to say we were pretty shocked.

When I was in college they played it at the end of all the SU Disco's. A protestant friend and I were told "sit down, this isn't your anthem" by another friend of ours... needless to say we were pretty shocked.

:eek:
http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=453666&postcount=12

Whoever said to you and your friend should have the pages of an Irish history book rammed down their throat and the collected works of Yeats, O'Casey, Synge and Wilde (guess what they've got in common) shoved up their other orifices.

:eek:
http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=453666&postcount=12

Whoever said to you and your friend should have the pages of an Irish history book rammed down their throat and the collected works of Yeats, O'Casey, Synge and Wilde (guess what they've got in common) shoved up their other orifices.

We had a nice quiet chat with him the following day, after we got over our shock, and explained some of the finer points of Irish history to him. But :eek: is right... that was pretty much the look on all our other friends faces when he said it.

fucking right!!! coming to our country, taking our jobs and our women, etc... etc... bollock, bollock, bollock...
where will the silly folk be without being hysterical about something?

when i was working nights in petrol station a few years back (working nights there and going to college during the day - wouldn't advise it!!!), some guy kept insisting i was a "fucking russian bastard" and that i should go back to romania because i wouldn't serve him wine

i got the last laugh simply because he's probably still a cunt and i'm quite a nice chap!!
:)
- leigh

some guy kept insisting i was a "fucking russian bastard" and that i should go back to romania because i wouldn't serve him wine

Bizarrely a Romanian thought I was Romanian today... I still haven't figured out whether that is a compliment or not... and when I was in Prague last year people thought I was French.

were you wearing a hat?
- leigh

No, neither time, would that make a difference?

But about the anthem, either they should teach everyone the words in school, or we need one that's easier to learn... it's embarrassing watching sports teams mumbling their way through it.

So Journey? Should we make it the new anthem or what?

On friday my housemate played it in the house before we headed out, to psyche himself up like William Wallace in Braveheart taking on a hen-party from Mayo with his cock instead of the English with his sword, they played it in the pub, and some lad in a stripy shirt roared to his friend, 'this is the song Joe, the wan from the Sopranos, I was tillin ya bout, she's a classhic'. They played it in the nightclub, and a circle of young ones linked arms and belted out their own version with fat-frogs spillin' all over the dancefloor. And to seal the deal, it played in the taxi, on the way home, the driver turned it up and said something about 'the old ones being the best ones'.

Babies are being conceived to it, sad sheep are being made happy by it, folk groups are playing it at sunday mass, Ray Darcy is banging Jenny Kelly on his tasteful shag-pile carpet with it playing in the background.

Come on, lets leave the past behind, MAKE IT THE ANTHEM!!

On friday my housemate played it in the house before we headed out, to psyche himself up like William Wallace in Braveheart taking on a hen-party from Mayo with his cock instead of the English with his sword, they played it in the pub, and some lad in a stripy shirt roared to his friend, 'this is the song Joe, the wan from the Sopranos, I was tillin ya bout, she's a classhic'. They played it in the nightclub, and a circle of young ones linked arms and belted out their own version with fat-frogs spillin' all over the dancefloor. And to seal the deal, it played in the taxi, on the way home, the driver turned it up and said something about 'the old ones being the best ones'.

Babies are being conceived to it, sad sheep are being made happy by it, folk groups are playing it at sunday mass, Ray Darcy is banging Jenny Kelly on his tasteful shag-pile carpet with it playing in the background.

It is the End of Days.

but what about the fields of athenry?

It's an admissable contender for a new anthem, but with a few specifications. That is, it must be sang with above 200bpm fruity loop 4/4 beatz. The singer's voice must have the pitch increased to a point somewhere between chipmunk and darby o'gill canary bird. And the line 'let free birds fly', must be barked back like an 'everybody say wooah-oh' rap mantra. Finally, the following words must also get a look in, preferably as the song's new title. SINN FEIN...IRA!!

How about this:

::clef:: Ireland, Ireland!
We’re a bunch of horrible pricks
::clef::

[FONT=&quot]Haven’t figured out the tune yet, it’ll probably just be a series of remixes.[/FONT]

It was also belted out by folks outside Whelans on Friday night at closing time. I got a terribly funny look from someone when I said I wouldn't be singing along with them as I don't know the lyrics beyond "she's just a small town girl, blah blah blah LONELY WORLD, something about a midnight train". One would expect them to be singing "Debaser" and "There is a light that never goes out." Actually surprisingly the music played there on Friday was pretty current, a good chunk of it was less than 18 months old.

cdrebeldance.jpg

Little known fact: Ireland is one of the only places where Fiddy's new album outsold Kanye's. So maybe instead of making good on his promise of quitting the music biz, after being outsold by Kanye in the States, Fiddy might instead relocate here and become a judge on a new show 'In search of a new anthem'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back