2020-21 Football thread (1 Viewer)

I love the Basque Williams Bros. Inaki (Ghana) and little bro' Nico.
Bilbao winning the Cup after losing their previous 6 Copa del Rey finals and coming up the waterfront with Cup on a barge with a flotilla around them was a huge highlight.

The cantera policy of Bilbao picking only Basque players was strictly enforced even Bilbao's first French Basque Bixente Lizzarrzu (sic) in the 90's caused a big debate.
Miguel Jones (1938 - 2020) born in Equitorial Guinea grew up dreaming of playing for Bilbao but he won Liga titles with Atletico Madrid instead.
Andalusian born Roberto Lopez Ufarte ended up Real Sociedad.

The Sociedad and Bilbao hombres got the glory tonight with less of a Barca and Madrid influence than before.

The Williams' Ghanian parents walked through the Sahara and got over the fence in Melilla to get into Spain. A lawyer advised them to say they were from Liberia to get asylum. What a story...

When I was a kid a read a book about 1950's Jackie Robinson the baseball player after the desegregation of the sport.

Before Nico came along I had an idea for a kids book with some similar ideas - Lorenzo (cross between Vieira and Pirlo) and big bro' Michelangelo (skilful striker) were two black kids from Florence whose parents are their agents. Through the lads brilliance Fiorentina bit by bit rise up to win Serie A and they stay loyal to the Viola. They both play regularly for the Azzurri and Lorenzo (name good for a few Magnifico headlines) captains them to the World Cup - no shit! Throughout the guys are gents and become national heroes... Roy of the Rovers and Kafka ain't got nothing on me!

Back in the real world Nico hopefully stays with Bilbao but they'll probably get a 100 million for him shortly.

Entertaining game to be fair. Any finals I watch (champions league mainly) seem to be pretty turgid.
Second half was excellent, the first not too memorable. Spain's wingers were really dangerous. Apart from the double save / clearance from Rice / Saka, Cole Palmer's goal was one of very few chances England had. Only Watkins miscontrolling the ball when he was almost through on goal comes to mind.
Spain were really dangerous on the attack and Pickford saved England a few times. Spain should've got a second at 1-0.
Spain's defence could be better at times though.

Spain were the only big nation who showed up and did themselves justice.
Other that it was the likes of Georgia, Austria, Slovakia, Slovenia who made the tournament. Austria should have gone further.
Not a good tournament overall.
The season is finally over.... for about 10 days

I missed the whole thing because work.
I wished the England team no specific harm*. It's not like Spain have some kind of plucky underdog story I could get into. Also, Spain is the only European international team I've seen live. Their fans were described by my colleagues as "posh weirdos" and "like Fulham fans". No umph to them at all.

*The fans on the other hand, I'll spare you the details, but yeah, loads of pricks being pricks around here all day. Shit haircuts. Coke dealers did well no doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back