▒▒▒▒▒memories▒▒▒▒▒ (1 Viewer)

wow. it does seem like years ago when we had that first meeting. i had no time then either.

billy. when you get to the end of your years and you ask yourself, "i had so many plans... where did all my time go?" ... will your 'systems analyst' tag give you the same comfort?

eh?

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

i am also having trouble determining how much of what i saw is serious these days. i used to have more of a handle on it.

hag said:
wow. it does seem like years ago when we had that first meeting. i had no time then either.

billy. when you get to the end of your years and you ask yourself, "i had so many plans... where did all my time go?" ... will your 'systems analyst' tag give you the same comfort?

eh?

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Plans are timeless.

Thumped is missing the earnestness of those days. It's all about fucking up shit these days.

Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so close to me
Now it looks as though they're gone for good
Oh, I don't miss yesterday.

Suddenly, I'm twice the man I used to be,
There's no shadow hanging over me.
Oh, yesterday was almost today.

Why she came I don't know she woldn't say.
I said something, so did she. now I long for today.

Yesterday, love was such a messy game to play.
Now I need a hilltop to sing from.
Oh, I believe in today.

Mm mm mm mm mm mm mm.

thankyou very much ladies and gentelmen.

MacFlecknoe said:
Plans are timeless.

Thumped is missing the earnestness of those days. It's all about fucking up shit these days.
well... you know who's to blame for that, right? yankicised wankers, that's who. still, neither of us could ever have put it as good as this...

Strange memories on this nervous night in Dublin. Five years later? Six? It seems like a lifetime, or at least a main era - -the kind of peak that never comes again. Dublin in the late nineties was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run, but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant. There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Liffey, then up the Grafton St. or down the M50 to Kilbarrack or Clondalkin. You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - -that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - -on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Howth head and look South, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark - -the place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

so what actually happened with TYM?

was it that no matter how much people think they want to be independent, they're really just waiting to get signed so someone else will do the work?

or was it too hard to get distribution or find people to man the stalls? you up for a bit of post-mortum billy g?

the equipment library was/is still a cool idea.

and then i want to talk about whether the conception of the civil rights movement in northern ireland was an ill-thought out idea or not.

and after that, stone and snow washed jeans. did they really come from the european denim blankie? yes, believe it or not folks... your intervention beef, your wine lake, your butter mountain or whatever it was called. these jeans actually came from the denim blankie. it want to talk about this as well at some point during today.

and then the changing face of sutton over the past 5 years. maybe not though, just typing that bored me a little.

MacFlecknoe said:
We just weren't French enough.
touche compadre. touche. i would have said italian. but yeah... i know what you're saying. but, it is a bit of a cop out at the same time. tell me what the french would have done?

Fraternized?

Worn stone-washed denim and reached their hands in the air and screamed for justice?

Maybe I'm thinking of Croatians? Or maybe Froations - the French Croatian.

But the irony of the picture of Robert Emmet that hung over the meetings in the Lord Edward always stuck in my head.

I don't regret a minute of any of that. It's a pity the distribution thing didn't work out, but no-one really had the time or money to make that realistic.
But it got people working together and supporting eachother - maybe not forever, but for some time at least.

And it got me out of the house. Kept me off the streets - and away from Street Teams.

bill - yes, anything that keep billy off the streets is good. and people working together. but the fear is that people have tried it now and it didn't work. this is why you need the post-mortum. lessons learned etc. what kind of SA are you? KPMG or something??? sheeeeesh.

in your opinion, if it was to happen all over again, what would you do differently? or did my initial comment right true? people just waiting to get signed and for other people to do the work etc... like the jimmy cake? i'm not saying that.

hag said:
bill - yes, anything that keep billy off the streets is good. and people working together. but the fear is that people have tried it now and it didn't work. this is why you need the post-mortum. lessons learned etc. what kind of SA are you? KPMG or something??? sheeeeesh.

in your opinion, if it was to happen all over again, what would you do differently? or did my initial comment right true? people just waiting to get signed and for other people to do the work etc... like the jimmy cake? i'm not saying that.

That Systems Analyst tag comes from the Onion - check the Vox Pops page on it. Every week there's a Systems Analyst.

If you think about it, the only thing that didn't really work was the distribution. And for that to work, I think you need someone who is pretty much going to give up their job and be prepared to travel around and make contacts with shops in other cities.

But a lot people involved moved on in their own ways - simply didn't have the time or their priorities changed.

It would have been to good to set up something like Post Everything.

MacFlecknoe said:
That Systems Analyst tag comes from the Onion - check the Vox Pops page on it. Every week there's a Systems Analyst.

If you think about it, the only thing that didn't really work was the distribution. And for that to work, I think you need someone who is pretty much going to give up their job and be prepared to travel around and make contacts with shops in other cities.

But a lot people involved moved on in their own ways - simply didn't have the time or their priorities changed.

It would have been to good to set up something like Post Everything.
wasn't that aprt of the original idea? that the 'subscriptions' would go towards creating some sort of small salary for someone to do that? i might be completely bonkers but i thought that idea came up... the distribution thing is perennial (sp?). it always needed a dedicated individual.

hag said:
wasn't that aprt of the original idea? that the 'subscriptions' would go towards creating some sort of small salary for someone to do that? i might be completely bonkers but i thought that idea came up... the distribution thing is perennial (sp?). it always needed a dedicated individual.

I think it was. Whoever that person would be would probably have been in charge. And I think it needed that - someone who'd actually call the shots.

MacFlecknoe said:
I think it was. Whoever that person would be would probably have been in charge. And I think it needed that - someone who'd actually call the shots.
yeah, but then people would start to resent them for the usual mundane reasons. which leads me to my next question. are politics and hierarchical structures (esp. where men are involved) not just unavoidable but actually necessary to get the job done?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back