OFWGKTA (1 Viewer)

jonah

Since there is no thread about them and new music is fun/good/nice/fueling and they are pretty much all anyone is talking about [good or bad], anyone have any particular opinions on OFWGKTA? Personally I am rather obsessed and want to kill myself because I'm too poor to pay for Primavera. Might not be thumped's thing, but I think they're (at least mostly) excellent.

This is my favourite
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

+

Tyler, the Creator was on Jimmy Fallon with Hodgy Beats

My threads (I've had like 2 or something now) never go anywhere. No one wants to talk about hip-hop with me :(

We could spin it off towards being less about music and more about the bit where he jumps on Jimmy Fallon? Or the... weather? Lovely and tepid here.

Sorry, I'm obviously a bit out of touch but who is this and are they really called just a bunch of letters??

I is John, hahah sorry, OFWGTA they're usually known by, but its an acronym for 'Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All' which is the collective (Weird name no idea where it came from). There's 11 of them and two groups within the crew, but they usually release solo (and free of charge!). Scarily enough they're all between 17 and 20, with Tyler, the Creator being the impromptu leader since I think he was the first.

scutter I'm regretting my decision not to go to sleep last night and stay up writing instead. My reread tells me that what I wrote was utter tripe and not worth the lack of sleep! I can just spend my class pretending I'm asleep and you can spend work pretending you're in the mountains.

Those two tracks sound pretty good to me

What do people say is bad about them?

I've been listening to this every day for the last week.
Just brilliant stuff, I reckon.

Tyler himself is a goddamn hoot on Twitter.

That's fantastic news that they are going to Primavera.

I find these guys incredibly exciting as well. The last 18 months have been incredible for renaissance for hip hop there's been a big resurgance of new, interesting rappers.

Earl has a writing style that's really indebted to MF Doom, Tyler too to an extent. I'm so delighted about this because Doom isn't as prolific as he was and his last album I found quite dissappointing.

What else is there to say about these guys.. umm I'm not sure at this stage. Just download Earl, Bastard, Blackenwhite for starters and play that shit loud in your car. I can't wait for Goblin to leak.

Other rap that I really enjoy at the moment:

Yelawolf - Trunk Muzik 0-60
What Eminem would sound like if he wasn't shit these days and had a better ear for beats.

Curren$y - Pilot Talk 1/2
Top notch production from Ski Beats. Odd schemes that land on the track in interesting ways. Rhymes about weed on every track.

Smoke DZA - Georgia Kush Da Button
Again, mostly Ski Beats production. More straight forward rhymer than Curren$y. Rhymes about weed on every track.

Danny Brown - The Hybrid
Only just got this one but it's mint. Amazing production throughout. Has a crack fiend influenced yelp on his hype tracks, and more conventional style on the normal ones. From a really shitty part of Detroit and raps mostly about drugs but twists it in an entertaining and funny manner. He's half hipster, half gangster which shouldn't work but it does cos he's got charisma.

Also recommend Freddie Gibbs, Homeboy Sandman and Blu who probably has something new in the pipeline any day now.

Irish Hip Hop wise I recommend the following:

Noize Thievery - Beyond The Interface Pt. 1
Only came out like yesterday so I've only had a chance to give it a quick perusal. Knew he was a nice producer hadn't a clue he rhymed, which he does very well.
http://craicmusic.wordpress.com/2011/02/23/noize-thievery-beyond-the-interface-vol-1/

SertOne - The View From Above EP
Instrumental hip hop/beat music. Came out Monday. This guys at it years he's got the chops. Few tracks from it here:
http://craicmusic.wordpress.com/2011/02/21/sertone-the-view-from-above-ep/

Lethal Dialect - LD50
Great production end to end. Street sort of content but authentic stuff if you go into it without any preconceptions.
http://soundcloud.com/craicmusic/lethal-dialect-ld50-album-sampler

That's just the stuff came out in the last month. Could post a load more. :D

I find these guys incredibly exciting as well. The last 18 months have been incredible for renaissance for hip hop there's been a big resurgance of new, interesting rappers.

Earl has a writing style that's really indebted to MF Doom, Tyler too to an extent. I'm so delighted about this because Doom isn't as prolific as he was and his last album I found quite dissappointing.

What else is there to say about these guys.. umm I'm not sure at this stage. Just download Earl, Bastard, Blackenwhite for starters and play that shit loud in your car. I can't wait for Goblin to leak.

Other rap that I really enjoy at the moment:

Yelawolf - Trunk Muzik 0-60
What Eminem would sound like if he wasn't shit these days and had a better ear for beats.

Curren$y - Pilot Talk 1/2
Top notch production from Ski Beats. Odd schemes that land on the track in interesting ways. Rhymes about weed on every track.

Smoke DZA - Georgia Kush Da Button
Again, mostly Ski Beats production. More straight forward rhymer than Curren$y. Rhymes about weed on every track.

Danny Brown - The Hybrid
Only just got this one but it's mint. Amazing production throughout. Has a crack fiend influenced yelp on his hype tracks, and more conventional style on the normal ones. From a really shitty part of Detroit and raps mostly about drugs but twists it in an entertaining and funny manner. He's half hipster, half gangster which shouldn't work but it does cos he's got charisma.

Also recommend Freddie Gibbs, Homeboy Sandman and Blu who probably has something new in the pipeline any day now.

Irish Hip Hop wise I recommend the following:

Noize Thievery - Beyond The Interface Pt. 1
Only came out like yesterday so I've only had a chance to give it a quick perusal. Knew he was a nice producer hadn't a clue he rhymed, which he does very well.
http://craicmusic.wordpress.com/2011/02/23/noize-thievery-beyond-the-interface-vol-1/

SertOne - The View From Above EP
Instrumental hip hop/beat music. Came out Monday. This guys at it years he's got the chops. Few tracks from it here:
http://craicmusic.wordpress.com/2011/02/21/sertone-the-view-from-above-ep/

Lethal Dialect - LD50
Great production end to end. Street sort of content but authentic stuff if you go into it without any preconceptions.
http://soundcloud.com/craicmusic/lethal-dialect-ld50-album-sampler

That's just the stuff came out in the last month. Could post a load more. :D

Woo, SertOne! Not heard either of the other two Irish acts, but woo, SertOne! In fact, aside from OFWGKTA and the aformentioned I've not heard any of these. Now that I've finished my classes for the day that may just be my afternoon.

And I is John I haven't seen much dissing them to be honest, everyone seems to love them but they do get backlash for their lyrics which is generally on the theme of 'rape lol'. I kind of think its so hugely overblown and INYOURFACEOFFENSIVE that I don't, in fact, find it offensive at all. Plus they're so young, I think what's exciting is what they could do when they get past the stage of saying shit just to say it... maybe they won't, but the raw talent - and in many cases extremely finite talent - is definitely there and das hella exciting!

nah, not today, its too busy in this hellhole. Even my thumped/facebook browsing is down to 10 times an hour its that bad.

you enjoy though.

I feel bad now, I'm about to go to sleep!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back