know your rights (1 Viewer)

subbuteo !

Website
Visit site
Know Your Rights Publication

After a nine year wait The Irish Council for Civil Liberties (ICCL) has published the 2nd edition of Know Your Rights.

The Know Your Rights information pack is intended to offer guidelines to members of the public, who find themselves in trouble with the Garda, in relation to their legal and constitutional rights.

The areas covered include
- Arrest
- Detention
- The Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994
- Searches
- Search of the Person
- Property Searches

Copies of Know Your Rights are available from the Irish Council for Civil Liberies office at a cost of Eur5.00.
Tel: 01 - 8783136
Email: mailto:[email protected]

You can download the publication in pdf format at
http://www.iccl.ie/about/knowyourrights2003.pdf
related link: http://www.iccl.ie/about/knowyourrights2003.pdf

egg_ said:
Jaykers
Our right are pretty limited, aren't they?

maybe they are limited maybe not it depends on how ya look at it

im just infroming people about the book its up to you what use it is to you

Nice one Byrneo, If you read it is amazing how wide the powers of the Gardai are, they can pretty much do what they want. All they have to do is use one of the hysterical acts which were blasted through the Dail when everyone was panicking, over drug use or rioting or whatever. They always use those powers out of context and rarely in the capacity they were meant for.

For instance squatters have to watch out because laws that were passed against traveller sites and drug dealers can equally be applied to them. Any time they wanted to hassle me it was under the misuse of drugs act, when they had absolutely no grounds to suspect I had drugs on me, except that I wasn't wearing a GAA top maybe.

And the potential sentances! They rarely hand down maximum terms because the prison system couldn't handle it and they might create an uproar. 635 yo fine and six months in jail for failure to comply with the order of a garda! What if he asked you to stand on one leg and sing the Dutch national anthem? A year in prison if you trespass on a building in such a way as might cause fear in another person! If you are in a group of 12 people and some copper thinks you are acting in such a way as might make someone fear for their own safety then the sentance and the fine are unlimited!

What I don't get is why the booklet is couched in language so sympathetic to the Gardai. If they have made almost everything a potential offence then how can the ICCL advise us that familiarity with the law can stop us getting in trouble in the first place. I suppose they are doing the best they can. It just highlights the lack of decent basic rights in this country.

Do ya have the right to shit in a gardaís hat in there's no public toilets around? Thats the type of important stuff I need to know..... *shows self out*

Didn't know that the gardaí could use "reasonable force" to get into yer home if you refuse, is that if they have a warrant only? Or in any case?

Didn't know that the gardaí could use "reasonable force" to get into yer home if you refuse, is that if they have a warrant only? Or in any case?

Warrant only, the only group who are allowed break into a house without any permission/warrant/etc are the firemen.

Key changes to criminal law get the silent treatment - Crime & Law News from Ireland & Abroad | The Irish Times - Mon, May 19, 2014

Without any public announcement, the most significant change in criminal justice procedure in the past 30 years took place on May 7th. It took the form of a directive from the Director of Public Prosecutions to An Garda Síochána to the effect that, from now on, suspects detained at a Garda station would be entitled to have solicitors present during their questioning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back