What movie did you watch last night? (18 Viewers)

she was very good as the wealthy relation in this. I'd say she was pretty 10 years earlier alright.what's Grange Hill actually like, i have vague memories from my childhood.

Grange Hill was pretty realistic and unsanitised. Although it's an English school, you can still relate to lots of what's going on.

The first ten years or so were great. After that it's only sporadically got my attention.

The spin-off Tucker's Luck was really good too. Would love to see it again.

was minding the baby so took in three fine features including, Stranger then fiction, Battlestar Galactica Razor and Aguirre: Wrath of God.

Fantastic Planet.

Nutzoid French cartoon from the late Seventies. Excellent score-like a krautrocky Gainsbourg-and stunning visuals. As though Yellow Submarine crashed on the Planet Of The Apes.

I'm gonna buy this now, in fact.

Fantastic Planet.

Nutzoid French cartoon from the late Seventies. Excellent score-like a krautrocky Gainsbourg-and stunning visuals. As though Yellow Submarine crashed on the Planet Of The Apes.

I'm gonna buy this now, in fact.

Good film.
The soundtrack is one of the best ever.

half_nelson.jpg

Enjoyed it. Well paced. Not preachy. Gosling's a good actor, as is Shareeka Epps.
Broken Social Scene did the music.

Thought I am Legend was pretty unimpressive, it's nothing that d'english did'nt do twice as well with a third of the budget.

There's a mighty wind blowing on TG4 right now. And Sleeping With the Enemy's on!!!

Paddy Bergin's less terrifying on screen.

I ' m N o t T h e r e .

I really enjoyed it. Had been very wary of it for a while because I hadn't heard anything about it except Dylan biopic, which frankly would have every reason to be crap in most directors hands and also I don't think I've ever seen any of Todd Hayne's films.

Then I read an interview with him and I realized he wasn't going to have a real serious approach to Dylan's life and more a funny film about the myths and imagery of his life and music and all that kind of thing. Its really really good. Plus its always nice to hear great music played that loudly.

I went to see All About Eve at the IFI last night. I've seen it before, but never on the big screen. What an amazing film. Possibly my favourite ever. Bette Davis is fantastic and the script is like lightning. Everyone go see it. Pscychotic No.2, you in particular.

Plus its always nice to hear great music played that loudly.

isn't it? musically i think my favourite bit was the kid on the porch with the two oul lads, although the deafening electric moment was super, like a total assault on everyone's ears whether they hated it or liked it. and the monkees' steppin' stone as one of the non-dylan intrusions was beautiful and cruel.

i loved this film. the whole thing was really playful and fun and fitting to the story - devoting that much time to pat garrett and billy the kid?! - and the only thing i'd change would be to cut the heath ledger bits a lot shorter because they just weren't that interesting. dylan and ginsberg heckling jesus made me cry laughing. and having watched no direction home again over christmas, a lot of the visual references to real recordings (the joan baez interviews, for one) jumped out clearly. i think i liked woody (franklin) best, but jude (blanchett), arthur (whishaw) and billy (gere) were amazing too - jack was a bit of a direct reference and robbie, like i said, went on too long.

(kind of wished i made film, after watching this, because i loved what he did with narrative and how much was show-don't-tell. i loved far from heaven as both film and homage and am even rather partial to velvet goldmine, and they all seem to have the same unapologetic sense of being a fan and having fun with it and making something exquisite.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back