the john fahey appreciation thread (1 Viewer)

yeah it's not total ridicule, but at the same time he's doing it in response to her patronising tone which makes it pretty hilarious, i thought. she reminded me a lot of this old music teacher from school.

Lefty Frizzell said:
does he tour much these days?

if you mean fahey, he's dead. quintuple heart bypass that he never woke up from. see red cross liner notes for the story of his funeral. he did play live here in c.1999/2000 in whelans but it was closer to the sound of the altanta struts album than any of the takoma stuff - serpentine, improvised, electric guitar.

Unknown Convict said:
if you mean fahey, he's dead. quintuple heart bypass that he never woke up from. see red cross liner notes for the story of his funeral. he did play live here in c.1999/2000 in whelans but it was closer to the sound of the altanta struts album than any of the takoma stuff - serpentine, improvised, electric guitar.

ah fuck, i was talkin about him with someone a while back and i was told he was still alive.

nEiLo said:
You should put your prejudice aside and check him out. Your ears will thank you.

you might be right there. although, he's a bit of a folkie, isn't he? Just not my scene atall atall. But sure i'll give it a go anyway.

Miss Piggy said:
can we praise robbie basho in here too?

took me a long time to warm to basho - the vocals seemed more than a little affected. now i can't live without them. had song of the snowy ranges on just last night. pity his albums are so hard to find. there's a great one from c.1981 - art of the acoustic steel string guitar, 6 & 12 - on some german label where he revisits lots of tunes from throughout his career, including a blistering version of pasha.

http://www.bluemomentarts.de/bma/rbasho/en/disco.html

he also has some of the greatest cover art ever:

basho_venus.jpg
812332.jpg

Unknown Convict said:
yeh, i have it. don't think it's fair to say he makes a 'total idiot' of her - it's not exactly pistols/grundy territory. he spins her a couple of yarns which she falls for, alright, but this is the same guy who put copies of his first lp in the used bins of record shops, trying to pass them off as old bluesman albums (blind joe death). any cursory reading of his vast liner notes shows what a prankster he was, nothing more. in fact, his entire career seemed designed to confound and amuse.

aye, spot on, fahey had a tremendous sense of humour...

Saw him in the Elmwood Hall in Beal Feirste a couple of years ago and it was qwality. He zapped people with his guitar until there was only a few people left at the end. Don't think he opened his mouth. According to the promoter, he was a bit of a nightmare.
He did a guitar instruction video which you can borrow from the fabulous music library in the main library just passed The Belfast Telegraph offices.
I loved that library.

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
Poor guy. He's blind and his son (Merle) got killed (aged 36) in a tractor accident.

doc watson was a legend alright, but so what if he was blind, he never complained about it.:cool:

sign me up..

Charlie Bucket said:
yeah just check out his and jim o rourkes shorts:rolleyes:
faheyorourke.jpg

was just gona ask about that..
where might i find it?
for some reason i always thought him & towns van sant would make some grreat songs..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back