Cancelled (3 Viewers)

When i was reading up about it this was one of the most balanced, realistic reads i found on the topic. NYT paywall applies and all that. Ye's might have read if before anyways but just in case:

I briefly met Pauw last month and she seemed really nice

considering what a lot of us went through at school, this is (provided it is true) minor stuff.
bullying is often considered normal in sports coaching.

only the allegation of grabbing someone's collar bone or neck (they are not sure) is serious.

telling a player to lose weight - what were the circumstances?

none of this would put Pauw's position at risk. this doesn't warrant banning her as a coach.
again she denies all this.

what happened to the man who threatened to shoot Pauw in Houston?

anyway this is not the person we have seen in Ireland.
the Ireland team since Colin Bell's time have massively overachieved with a small base of players and a tiny budget.

There's nothing in that that doesn't happen throughout a soccer game is there? Like it's not the GAA in terms of contact but also little tugs and pushes are bread and butter in the heat of a game.

Rare for a coach to do that. Power structures etc.

I would tend not to believe it though. If you're a coach getting physical with a squad full of people half your age, you'll get battered. Better to prove your more intelligent, more driven, more powerful in other ways. That's pretty basic stuff.

She would argue that she has in fact encouraged players to eat more.

She has a personal take, perhaps born out by sports science, that her players shouldn't gain too much weight in terms of muscle and says that it's a cause of ACL injuries in women's football.

There has been a huge spate of ACL injuries among women footballers this season following the euros. Arsenal missed Beth Mead and Vivianne Miedema for the last half season due to them so maybe she's on to something.

There were some accusations that she was very strict that the players follow her training regmine, well no shit, she's the fucking coach.

I know you’re being sarcastic but she does genuinely seem to be. My kids football team were doing a mini World Cup recently. Vera happened to be going for a jog in the park at the same time. One of the parents stopped her and asked if she’d come over and say hi to the player. She went home, got changed in to her kit and came back, presented the medals and posed for photos with the kids. Which I thought was dead sound of her.

Without getting into the ins and outs of Tavistock which is its own thing, if you are prescribed *any* medicine off label, you are in the realm of not well understood. No drug gets to market unless it is safe - and this safety level is fairly high in terms of a bar - but equally medicine moves faster than the underlying research. Once a drug is safe, clinicians will use the drugs for other things based on their understanding of the drug, understanding of the disorder they are treating, understanding of the individual they are treating, and the potential dangers which they will monitor and cease treatment immediately for.

And likely you are taking some medication either off label or that was off label for the use you are taking it for, and is now approved officially for. This is how medicine progresses.

Well, they went and did it.
They are very likely gonna kick her out.
A fucking world class coach and we can't handle it. Bonkers.

In cynical soccer terms - there did seem to be some conflict between players and managers towards the end. The players will be about for years so keeping the bad blood either means ousting a good squad or throwing the manager under the bus, either way soccer likes to roll heads

In cynical soccer terms - there did seem to be some conflict between players and managers towards the end. The players will be about for years so keeping the bad blood either means ousting a good squad or throwing the manager under the bus, either way soccer likes to roll heads

Mouthy players need to be shut the fuck up occasionally

This just in from the internet - the number of opinions changed today by people on the world wide web arguing and crosstalking each other is zero

We can add that to the total number of opinions changed (which is also zero)

I'll be back when I figure out the total

Busy night ahead for you, hyped for the results

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back