Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (9 Viewers)

I know he's Jeremy Clarkson but God it's really depressing how much people worship the army for "getting things done" as if they don't accidentally drop bombs on hospitals all the time.

An entire culture crying out to be oppressed.

source.gif

I know he's Jeremy Clarkson but God it's really depressing how much people worship the army for "getting things done" as if they don't accidentally drop bombs on hospitals all the time.

An entire culture crying out to be oppressed.

source.gif

The thing is they do. For a bit.
I don't think it's a culture crying out to be oppressed. More a country that wants to believe their own hype, but don't want to put in any effort except buying a "Help for Heroes" hoodie and shouting about immigrants.

There's another thing about army men generally. A lot of them spend a lot of time doing feck all so when they get a chance they jump at it. The the ones that have to (or want to) do the nasty stuff tend not to talk about it. That's not just a British army thing.

There's another thing about army men generally. A lot of them spend a lot of time doing feck all so when they get a chance they jump at it. The the ones that have to (or want to) do the nasty stuff tend not to talk about it. That's not just a British army thing.
that's the funny thing about armies. a bunch of highly trained people who do nothing most of the time except train

The thing is they do. For a bit.
I don't think it's a culture crying out to be oppressed. More a country that wants to believe their own hype, but don't want to put in any effort except buying a "Help for Heroes" hoodie and shouting about immigrants.
Last time I checked the best responses to Covid have been when it was responded to locally taking local concerns into consideration. I take your point that when the army turn up and tell everyone we're doing it this way it'll get things moving in that way, but no I don't think that's a good thing unless you do actually want a society that's run by the military

I know this is going to turn into "I know X and he's in the army and he's sound" and I can say the same thing about a few people, but tell me why this actually needs to be run by the military? Is it just we have defunded everything else to the point where the military is the only body with any capacity?

They are the defence forces, I don't know that this is a bad time to mobilize a large group of people to help defend us against this virus if they are currently busy doing nothing else. They have trucks and tents etc, they don't need to bring guns. Although I accept the creeping militarization thing in general

why was an armed response unit needed? is this normal?
a benign explanation might have been that they simply needed numbers of gardai to attend, and the fact that some were armed was moot; that it's simply because they were available. just spitballing there though.
would be curious to know if the armed gardai carry their arms at all times? i am vaguely aware that they're not allowed leave them unattended in a car, even if locked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back