What movie did you watch last night? (7 Viewers)

rush-hour-original.jpg

Logan: I fucking hate those Marvel films. This was brilliant.

Troll Hunter: Good fun. Had hyped this up in my head too much.

Last edited:
John McNaughton triple bill over the weekend

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. Brilliant debut. Has aged very well. Still incredibly disturbing. Michael Rooker gives one of the scariest performances in cinema history. I'll take his Henry over Hopkins' Lector any day of the week.

Wild Things. Trashy thriller with loads of actors who were big in the 90s. Very of its time. Entertaining enough, full of increasingly silly twists.

The Harvest. Minor horror thriller. Starts out very boring and slow but gradually picks up pace. The big reveal is a bit daft and you can see it coming a mile away. Not totally awful but I wouldn't go out of my way to seek it out.

In short, like so many directors before and after, McNaughton hasn't lived up to the early promise of his debut.

New Alien film was better than I was expecting.

I thought the first hour in particular was very good.

Been thinking about this a bit, and I know there's another Alien prequel in the works but after seeing this ...

I'm more interested in the idea of getting Weaver back and putting her up against Fassbender for Alien 5

Also, I forget a lot about Prometheus, is the planet in Alien the planet from one of these 2 prequels?

V for vendetta. This movie annoys me because it seems like a great movie trying to break free of a shit one. Some aspects of the glossy production I like, some I hate. There are some powerful scenes and some that just don't work.

Inspector Finch's revelation about everything being connected means nothing and comes out of nowhere without his acid trip at the former prison camp.

I'd like someone to create a new score and change the colour palette. It might be brilliant in black and white with some suitably Orwellian dystopic music.

And that dialogue at the end ; "I will never forget the man, and what he meant to me". Yuck.

And the rose was a a Violet Carson, not a Scarlet Carson.

A Violet Carson
420c069ee8cbb707f4efab42aed6a1d8.jpg

V for vendetta. This movie annoys me because it seems like a great movie trying to break free of a shit one. Some aspects of the glossy production I like, some I hate. There are some powerful scenes and some that just don't work.

Inspector Finch's revelation about everything being connected means nothing and comes out of nowhere without his acid trip at the former prison camp.

I'd like someone to create a new score and change the colour palette. It might be brilliant in black and white with some suitably Orwellian dystopic music.

And that dialogue at the end ; "I will never forget the man, and what he meant to me". Yuck.

And the rose was a a Violet Carson, not a Scarlet Carson.

A Violet Carson
420c069ee8cbb707f4efab42aed6a1d8.jpg
I know that this film is one of the main reasons Alan Moore doesn't engage with Hollywood anymore. I haven't read the comic but apparently the whole thing was neutered for the movie, that V should be more chaotic than just anarchic.

I thought Watchmen was decent, there was no way to do the comic as it was and make a decent film.

I find it really difficult to watch as the scenes match the comic so closely I'm constantly taken out of the story in admiration at the technical achievement. No matter how much I try I can't "unknow" the comic in order to enjoy it properly as a film. The subtlety of the comic didn't translate well to the big screen in my opinion and some of the dialogue seems corny. It's ok, and as you say they did a decent job of compressing all that source material into a commercial movie. I have it on DVD but every time I watch it I get distracted and end up doing something else instead.

I heard there was an animated version of The Black Freighter comic story that was included with the original deluxe DVD but I've never seen it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back