What you been listening to this week? (5 Viewers)

Cheap Trick - In Color - This is one of the very few albums that I have absolutely no doubt sounds better on vinyl. Most of that kinda thing i'm sure is in my head but this is night and day. Great stuff.

The Beat - Special Beat Service - So good, pity no one seems to have bought it at the time. There's probably a thesis somewhere written about why all the multi-racial British bands addressing social issues split up just as the Smiths came along.

Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City - GREAT

Vampire Weekend - S/T - STILL GREAT.

XTC - English Settlement - I don't like this album as much as other people. Side 1 and 2 are great but Side 3 and 4 just wash by me in a haze of "ooh i'm so clever"'s. I love Snowman though.

Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha - I think it's his most consistent and balanced album. Lovely.

Michael Jackson - Off the Wall - Friday Good times Michael Jackson. I even like the Paul McCartney one on this.

Angelica - The End of Beautiful Career - Big, terrible, late 90's Zoom 505 indie production on it. It maybe sounds of its time rather than dated at this point. Great songs though.

D'Angelo & The Vanguard - Black Messiah
Pearls Before Swine - These Things Too
The Sea & Cake - Oui
Magma - Live/Hhaï
Madonna - Bedtime Stories
Depeche Mode - Violator
Depeche Mode - Songs of Faith & Devotion
Jim O'Rourke - Simple Songs
Grace Jones - Warm Leatherette
Crowded House - Together Alone
Crowded House - Temple Of Low Men
Merle Haggard - A Working Man Can't Get Nowhere Today
The Flaming Lips - Hit To The Death In The Future Head
The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin
Portal - Vexavoid
Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks
Das Synthetische Mischegewebe - Frequency Conquistadors
Evan Parker & Keith Rowe - Dark Rags
Pauline Oliveros - Accordion And Voice
Pauline Oliveros - Crone Music
Solid Eye - Blue Ninja Tar In Habitat / Live Bread Cults / Figdates Remembering / Brew Wary Paragoos
Pauline Oliveros - Ghostdance
Pauline Oliveros - The Roots of the Moment
U2 - Zooropa

Richard Youngs - Unicorns Everywhere
New album. "Recorded Glasgow, Scotland post-Referendum/pre-Election." Released on election day last week. First listen, very enjoyable.

Richard Youngs & Simon Wickham Smith - Ceaucescu
Classic R!!! & S!!!

Richard Youngs - Summer Wanderer
Beautiful acapella album.

The Sea & Cake - The Fawn
My favorite The Sea & Cake album.

Depeche Mode - Songs of Faith & Devotion
Classic Depeche Mode

Fairport Convention - Liege & Lief
Classic Fairport Convention (except for rubbish, skippable songs e.g. Come All Ye, the Medley one)

Jean Guillou - Improvisations for Christmas
Classic Jean Guillou improvising on favorite Christmas Hymns and Carols at the Great Kleuker-Steinmeyer organ of the Tonhalle, Zürich. I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of another JG lp that I recently purchased on discogs.

Loren Connors - Blues: The "Dark Paintings" Of Mark Rothko
First listen to this new reissue of a fairly obscure LC album. Beautiful.

Chris Cutler & Fred Frith - 2 Gentlemen In Verona
Improvisation. I paid £20+ for this back when it came out just to find out that it's only ok and not classic Chris Cutler & Fred Frith. Fuck those days.

Coil - Astral Disaster
CD version. One of my favorite ever albums. Astral Weeks is shite.

Richard Youngs - Three Handed Star
A half-hour song, never heard it before. It's reissued in the new Box Set. Jolly sea-shanty accordion nonsense. Very good.

Richard Youngs - Summer Through My Mind
Apparently this is supposed to be a country album but it's not. I never listened to this one much as it has an incredibly annoying 10-minute song (The Story of Jhon) on it which is one of the low points of music. This was one of a load of forgettable albums he released within the space of a few months in 2013 and it nearly put me off him altogether (South Voyager was the last album that year and it restored my faith).

Richard Youngs - Thought Plane
An hour long track from 2014 released as part of this new No Fans Compendium box set. Pretty synth-based stuff with autoharp or some sort of tinkly thing and a few other things drifiting in and out. Pretty pointless. I turned it off after about 45 minutes.

Richard Youngs - Barbed Wire Explosion in the Kingdom of Atlantis
Short, fast, punky songs with a drum machine (i think). Excellent.

Listening to the latest one again. Not a million miles from Barbed Wire Explosion but less stylized and more mixed/messed up - drum machines again, noisy electric guitars here and there, all sorts of singing. Deadly. I think this one is likely to remain a favorite.

Currently Listening to:
Bernard Haas - Xenakis, Ferneyhough, Feldman & Scelsi: Works for Organ
First listen to this one. So far so good...

This is what I was trying to post the other day:
Godspeed You! Black Emperor live in Hamburg, Germany, 7th April 2015 bootleg:
Live recording from archive.org. Really good quality and identical setlist to the Vicar St. show minus "East Hastings".

Einstuerzende Neubauten Interim
Einstuerzende Neubauten Tabula Rasa
Einstuerzende Neubauten Ende Neu
Einstuerzende Neubauten Faustmusik
Einstuerzende Neubauten Ende Neu – Remixes
Einstuerzende Neubauten The NNNAAAMMM Remixes by Darkus
Einstuerzende Neubauten Total Eclipse of the Sun
Einstuerzende Neubauten Silence Is Sexy
Einstuerzende Neubauten Berlin Babylon
Einstuerzende Neubauten Strategies Against Architecture III
Einstuerzende Neubauten 9-15-2000, Brussels
Einstuerzende Neubauten Airplane Miniatures EP
Einstuerzende Neubauten Gemini
Einstuerzende Neubauten Supporter Album #1
Einstuerzende Neubauten Perpetuum Mobile
Einstuerzende Neubauten 04-04-2004, Dublin
Continuing my journey through the Neubauten back catalogue, some great stuff here. However, those two remix releases can go fuck themselves. Awful, awful, awful. However, all the other stuff is top drawer material. It's great listening back to the Dublin recording, what a wonderful night.

Sleep Volume One:
Classic stoner/doom metal. While they haven't exactly lost their Sabbath influence, it's at its strongest here. Not my favourite album by them but fucking great nonetheless.

Talking Heads More Songs About Buildings and Food:
This is the only proper album I have by them. I have Stop Making Sense and a Best Of but I really need to fill in the gaps.

ELpH pHILM #1:
Second last Coil-related release I was missing (in terms of owning all the music, not arsed collecting different formats/pressings of the same release over and over again). Not essential but an itch that needed scratching.

Nina Simone Black Gold:
My favourite Nina Simone album. So good.

Nurse With Wound Lea Tanttaaria/Great-God-Father-Nieces:
This is a 3" CD-R of late 80s pieces based on the work of Adolf Wolfi that was recently released as a bonus with a small French book about Wolfi. You can hear how bits of this ended up on other NWW releases from the time, it's more of archaelogical value than anything.

Albert Ayler Live in Greenwich Village: The Complete Impulse! Recordings:
This was my first entry point into Ayler, it took a while for me to get past the fact that it seemed to be all out of tune but now I love it. Ayler had such power and there are times here where he rivals Coltrane for sheer power and pasion.

La Monte Young & The Forever Bad Blues Band Just Stompin’: Live at The Kitchen:
La Monte Young plays the blues. On a keyboard tuned to just intonation. With a backing band tuned to just intonation. For two hours with no breaks. It's awesome.

Labradford A Stable Reference:
First time hearing this particular album by them. I think I need a few more goes with it but from first exposure, it's not as engaging or as good as the other Labradford albums I have. I don't know where it fits in their releases (i.e. whether it's an early or late release) but it feels a bit like they were phoning it in.

And @pete, in posting that, I realised what was fucking up previously. I had included a link to archive.org which I've now removed. I'm not sure what the story there is.

Sparks - Indiscreet - found it on vinyl the other day, was delighted. Vinyl really emphasises the bizarreness of the running order. No surprise at all that this album was not a hit.

Alphabeat - This is Alphabeat - So spotify they have replaced one of the songs off this with some random dance track nothing to do with them. Shows how much people care about them that this hasn't been picked up on yet.

Shamir - Ratchet - Listened to this about 100 times over the weekend.

Downtown Boys - Full Communism - post everything music. Screamy punk with lots of spanish vocals and piles of saxophone. I think it's highly political stuff but I wasn't paying loads of attention to the lyrics at the time. A cover of Dancing in the Dark at the end. Pretty good fun for what it is. Unless it's super serious in which case i'm a bad listener.

Gichy Dan's Beechwood #9 - S/T - Incredible mutant disco album. Recommended to all.

Michael Jackson - Thriller - also found this on vinyl. I was surprisingly delighted about this considering there are probably more copies of this on vinyl in the world than any other album.

Tove Lo - Queen of the Clouds - decent scando-pop but not quite up there with Robyn or even those two Annie albums. Some of it is a bit... Hollywood Records in places.

Madonna - Madonna- Her first album holds up better overall than a lot of her second tier pop stuff imho.

Breeders - Pod - When i was a young teenager I used to be very defensive about the Last Splash because Pod was the one it's ok to like. With a bit of distance it probably is a better album. Kim Deal has such a strange way of writing songs, on so many of them the backing could be recognisably played with one string on a guitar. Really, really good stuff still.

Last edited:
Madonna - Madonna- Her first album holds up better overall than a lot of her second tier pop stuff imho.
I don't own any Madonna albums but if I did it would probably be Ray of Light, all the singles from that were great.

From the last week:
Einstuerzende Neubauten 10-29-2004, Reggio Emilia
Einstuerzende Neubauten Grundstueck
Einstuerzende Neubauten Musterhaus 1 – Anarchitektur
Einstuerzende Neubauten 03-27-2005, Berlin
Einstuerzende Neubauten 04-01-2005, Vienna
Einstuerzende Neubauten 04-08-2005, Paris
Einstuerzende Neubauten Prague Concert 2005
Einstuerzende Neubauten Musterhaus 2 – Unglaublicher Laerm
Einstuerzende Neubauten Musterhaus 3 – Solo Bassfeder
Einstuerzende Neubauten Musterhaus 4 – Redux Orchestra Versus Einstuerzende Neubauten
Einstuerzende Neubauten Alles Was Irgendwie Nuetzt
Einstuerzende Neubauten Musterhaus 5 – Kassetten
Einstuerzende Neubauten Musterhaus 6 – Klaviermusik
Einstuerzende Neubauten Musterhaus 7 – Stimmen Reste
Einstuerzende Neubauten Musterhaus 8 – Weingeister
Einstuerzende Neubauten Jewels
Einsteurzende Neubauten Weil Weil Weil
Einstuerzende Neubauten Alles Wieder Offen
Einstuerzende Neubauten Alles Wieder Offen Tour Live 2008 (London 22.05.2008):
Almost finished my Neubauten marathon. Hard to believe that these albums are all from the same 4 year period, they really cranked them out there for a while. Granted not all of them are good and they probably could have made an incredible double CD from that Musterhaus subscription series but it's been fun going back through it all. Some amazing memories of the Grundstueck week in Berlin and the 25th anniversary tour, hearing all this puts me right back there.

Yoshi Wada Lament for the Rise and Fall of the Elephantine Crocodile
Yoshi Wada The Appointed Cloud
Yoshi Wada Off the Wall
Bagpipes, bagpipes, bagpipes. Not everyone's cup of tea (i.e. no one I know seems swayed by my opinion on these) but terrific, psychedelic drone works, though drone as in a wall of sound as opposed to one note extended. The first two are softer (I got away with The Appointed Cloud in the car the other day) but Off the Wall is pretty full on. Solid wall of bagpipes periodically reinforced with a primal percussion backing. It's the best Michael Jackson tribute album I've ever heard.

Marc and the Mambas Untitled:
Trying to decide whether to get a ticket for his show at the NCH in August. I'm leaning towards yes.

Fennesz Endless Summer:
I never really rated this one, I much prefer Venice, but I enjoyed it a lot more this time. It still feels like he was finding his sound but nice background listening.

John Cale & Terry Riley Church of Anthrax:
Another one that I didn't like for years. I think I felt cheated that Cale wasn't in Theatre of Eternal Music mode but now I think it's wonderful. Sounds like VU covering Faust IV in places.

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds Murder Ballads:
Re-appraising this album and I still think it's a bit of a letdown. Some great songs on it (Henry Lee, Lovely Creature and it's impossible to ignore Where the Wild Roses Grow) but fucking O'Malley's Bar kills this album for me. Plus the vinyl sounds like ass because it's all compressed onto one LP.

Coil The Wheal/Keelhauler:
I think that's every achievable Coil released collected now. Will wait until I make my millions before I pick up the art editions and the vinyl version of Astral Disaster.

Joanna Newsom The Milk-Eyed Mender:
Dave in Road Records told me when I was buying this that he used to sell a bunch of CDs to a local restaurant every few months. The guy would come in and just ask Dave to put together a few low key/suitable for dining albums and he was always happy with the selection. Apparently he came back the same afternoon to return this as it was driving out his customers. Philistines!

Low The Invisible Way:
Good but not great. I do love Mimi's tracks on the last couple of albums though.

Jack Smith Les Evening Gowns Damnées: 56 Ludlow Street 1962-1964, Volume I:
Soundtracks for experimental films and spoken word pieces from the NY drag queen/queer underground. Like Hubert Selby Jr's Last Exit to Brooklyn set to bonkers music. It's utterly bizarre but it's easy to get lost in.

Josef Van Wissem/SQÜRL Only Lovers Left Alive [OST]:
I enjoyed this film a lot and no small part of that enjoyment was the excellent soundtrack. This is a terrific piece of work, well worth investigating regardless of whether you've seen the film or not. Van Wissem and Jim Jarmusch (SQÜRL being his band) also have a few other albums together that are almost as good.

Wire Wire on the Box: 1979:
A little bit of a rough performance (some of the backing vocals give new meaning to out of tune) but full of spirit. I don't think I've ever watched the DVD that comes with it though.

Swans Public Castration is a Good Idea:
As Q magazine put it (roughly): It's like being hit with two bricks in the face. Repeatedly.

Om Advaitic Songs:
General consensus is that old Om is best Om but I love what the new line up has been doing, especially now with Robert Lowe fleshing out the music. There's a little whiff of Americans doing world music tourism but it feels sincere enough to work.

Sunn O))) & Ulver Terrestrials:
This has grown on me big time even if it just feels like an Ulver album. That "Eternal Return" song is wonderful.

Charlemagne Palestine Continuous Sound Forms:
Harpsichord assault!

I don't own any Madonna albums but if I did it would probably be Ray of Light, all the singles from that were great.

Been actually listening to it a fair bit recently. It suffers from 90's CD era bloat but it's good alright. Gonna try her 2000's albums soon. #prayforlili

Follakzoid - III

151840.jpg

Thanks to @HMD over on Radioactive for the heads up on these dudes. Very nice record.

@scutter; put this on our collab spotify playlist because he knows me well

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

i love her sm.

Depeche Mode - Ultra
Not amazing but pretty good.

Depeche Mode - Exciter
First listen to this one. It's good, I like it.

MG - MG
Martin Gore. I only listened to about half of this. It was alright, but a bit boring.

Jandek - Twelfth Apostle
Excellent solo acoustic album. 90s Jandek was great.

Arizmenda - Stillbirth In The Temple Of Venus

Karlheinz Stockhausen - Donnerstag aus Licht
A 3.5 hour opera and I don't even like opera. I lasted about 2 hours.

The Mothers of Invention - Absolutely Free
I love this.

Peter Hammill & Gary Lucas - Other World
Unremarkable.

Robert Wyatt - Old Rottenhat

Roy Harper - Sophisticated Beggar
His debut album and the first one I got - secondhand tape in freebird. I thought it was a best-of compilation and was surprised by how little his style appeared to change from song to song. He had quite an intricate guitar style back then.

Roy Harper - Bullinamingvase
Classic Roy Harper. Perhaps his most cheery and uplifting album. Features some Paul & Linda backing vocals. I was listening to this in the car with a friend once and he commented that it had made him feel "dead inside" (or maybe that was Whatever Happened to Juggula but I think it was this one).

Vladimir Ussachevsky - Electronic and Acoustic Works 1957-1972
Electronic and acoustic works by Vladimir Ussachevsky dating from the period 1957 - 1972. Very good.

Wille Nelson - Teatro
Daniel Lanois, Emmylou Harris etc. Nice but a bit respectable.

Mohammad Reza Shajarian & Kayhan Kalhor - Night Silence Desert
I'm loving this one lately. Its quite a headphonesey album.

Charles Tournemire - L'orgue Mystique (performed by Georges Delvallée)
I listened to disc 3 and 4 of this 4lp anthologie of L'Orgue Mystique. They're the mellower of the 4. I'd love to have a vinyl boxset of the entire thing but I don't think such a thing exists. It takes 12cds.

Willie Nelson - Spirit
Dreary shite

Willie Nelson - Willie Nelson & Family
Bleh. Maybe Willie Nelson just isn't for me.

Actress - Silver Cloud
Good EP

Andrea Neumann & Burkhard Beins - Lidingo
Free improv stuff. Nothing special
Keiji Haino - Black Blues (electric)
The 'acoustic' Black Blues is currently up near the top of my favorite Haino albums list. This is good too but not a patch on the acoustic version.

Keiji Haino - Black Blues (acoustic)
That's more like it. This version of "See That My Grave Is Kept Clean" is fucking astonishing.

Einstürzende Neubauten - Stahlmusik
My first listen to Einstürzende Neubauten. I presume this isn't one of their better releases. It has it's moments I suppose but a bit scrappy, I was tired of it by the end.

Alexander von Schlippenbach, Evan Parker, John Edwards, Eddie Prévost & Christof Thewes - Three Nights at Cafe Oto
The three discs have Evan Parker, John Edwards & Eddie Prévost and the other two lads guest on a disc each. The trio disc runs out of steam pretty quick but the other two are pretty good.

Einstürzende Neubauten - Kollaps
Don't like it.

Derek Bailey - Aida
Excellent guitar playing.

Derek Bailey - String Theory
Guitar feedback. First listen to this one, not mad about it. I like it when the banshee lady starts wailing along towards the end.

Depeche Mode - Black Celebration
Classic Depeche Mode.

Cinorama - Garden, The Garden
Very nice mellow folky psych from japan. Some terrific screaming on the second last tracks

Errorsmith & Mark Fell - Protogravity
Useless

Keiji Haino - 'C'est parfait' endoctriné tu tombes la tête la première
Drum machine and screeching/yelling/crooning. Delightfully daft.

Cinorama - Three Lies And A Ding-a-Ling Five
Currently listening to this for the first time, seems nice so far.

Michael Jackson - Invincible - Far better than its reputation, this is actually a very solid album, I was surprised. It's lacking any big pop songs though, which in a way is probably unforgivable for a Michael Jackson album.

Madonna - Something to Remember - a mid 90's compilation of ballads released to 'soften' Madonna's image, something she'd probably never do now. The new tracks on it are decent and it all hangs together surprisingly well considering some of the tracks, and production, date back to the mid 80's. A couple of dodgy 'tasteful' 90's moments on the new tracks though.

The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs - have still never listened to disc 3

Funkadelic - America Eats its Young - The album is difficult listening. Verging on dull at parts. Not sure what to make of it really.

Shamir - Ratchet - SEE MY REVIEW FOR DETAILS

Sly & the Family Stone - A Whole New Thing - massively underrated debut album. Amazing stuff. Like if the funk brothers were an actual band who believed in their message as opposed to just studio musicians who'd prefer to be off playing jazz.

Mac Demarco - Rock'n'Roll Night Club - Not sure he's ever managed to beat this, the slowed down, sleazy vocals suit his guitaring really well.

Kristen Hersh - Crooked - misery. great.

D'Angelo - Black Messiah - still holding up well, but hasn't become an addictive listen, a bit of a chore in parts. I keep coming back though...

Prince - Diamonds and Pearls - bloated 90's excess. Cut off the tracks you don't like though and there's still a great album on there.

The Office of Future Plans - The Office of Future Plans - Been returning to J. Robbins music a bit recently, such a brilliant guitar player and general songwriter. This album is a bit creaky though, I find some of the phrasing and singing a little cringey.

Einstuerzende Neubauten Palast der Republik
Einstuerzende Neubauten Strategies Against Architecture IV
Einstuerzende Neubauten Lament
Einstuerzende Neubauten Lament – Live in Diksmuide
The end of my Neubauten marathon. Such a strong way to finish, I think Lament is the strongest thing they've done in about 20 years, maybe since their beginning. Every time I listen to it there is something else to catch my ear or make me think. Packs an emotional punch too.

Kate Bush Hounds of Love:
Watched the BBC4 documentary last week and it put me in the mood for this. What a perfect album.

John Coltrane Offering: Live at Temple University:
Everyone raved about this when it came out last year but I only got around to picking it up this week. I've listened to it 4 times since last Thursday (which is a lot for me, I tend to not repeat albums too close to the last time I listened to them). The recording is rough (the bass and percussion is largely background detail) but it's a stellar performance.

Marissa Nadler The Saga of Mayflower May:
I like this but not as much as I used to, her newer material definitely trumps the early stuff now.

Sun Circle Tapes:
Two hours of various drone/repetition experiments. Very earthy (not Earth-y as in the band) and creates a good headspace. These guys know what they're at. Too bad they seem to be done, could do with another dose of them.
AR024

Matmos The Ganzfeld EP:
Two banging remixes and a really bizarre/atonal piecce, all about telepathy. Fun.

Soft Cell The Art of Falling Apart:
I bought this years and years ago when Road Records used to have the second hand section downstairs. When they closed it up, they had a sale and I bought loads of stuff and never listened to most of it. I gave this a spin and it's a lot better than I was expecting, I always pegged Soft Cell as a singles band.

Zos Kia/Coil Transparent
Coil/The New Blockaders/Vortex Campaign The Melancholy Mad Tenant
Coil Scatology
Coil Horse Rotorvator
Coil Gold Is the Metal (with the Broadest Shoulders)
Coil The Wheal/Keelhauler
Coil How to Destroy Angels
Coil The Angelic Conversation
Coil vs. ELpH Born Again Pagans
ELpH pHILM #1
ELpH vs. Coil Worship the Glitch
Coil The Unreleased Themes for Hellraiser
Coil Unnatural History
Coil Love’s Secret Domain
Coil Stolen and Contaminated Songs
Coil Windowpane/The Snow
Coil Unnatural History II: Smiling in the Face of Perversity
Black Light District A Thousand Lights in a Darkened Room
Coil Unnatural History III: Joyful Participation in the Sorrows of the World:
My current marathon project now that I've plugged the last couple of gaps in my collection. The early stuff is fucking deadly, Horse Rotorvator in particular is like a mirror to Kate Bush's Hounds of Love. Both are idiosyncratic and offer a weirder take on life in the margins (either as a woman or a gay man) and both use the fuck out of the Fairlight synthesiser. Coil are obviously a lot darker but for me they are different sides of the same coin - they wear their obsessions on their sleeve but keep enough guarded to allow you to put your own spin on the music. I don't think there's as good a song as "Ostia".

The mid-90s stuff however hasn't dated very well, Love's Secret Domain is still great but the compilations/remixes are tough going.

Antony & the Johnsons Antony & the Johnsons:
I got burned out on Antony, his last couple of albums haven't done a lot for me so I was surprised at how vital this album still sounds. Fantastic lyrics, beautiful delivery and the music is lush.

Black Sabbath Sabotage:
Screamer, currently my favourite Sabbath album.

Neu! Neu!
Neu! Neu! 2:
Hallogallo, is there anything better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back