the RTE thread (3 Viewers)

I don't own a telly and probably never will.

I have no opinion about RTE televison.

I have major opinions about the radio though.But they're not for public discourse.

At least not until I have a few drinks in me anyway...:)

I will say this..the docos and drama are great.They should have a play on every night.

Yeah the book on one is class.

Great when yer driving home and you've heard enough riffs

Actually..now that they've pastured out that Mooney fella.theres not much bad to be said about radio 1.Although..I still won't be listening at that time cos Moncrieff is on

If they just axed Murray and Creedon and put someone decent in those slots it'd be decent round the clock.

John Murray has no business doing light entertainment and John Creedons taste in music is abysmall

..after the break we'll have great tunes from the wonderful Elaenor Shanley covering an Emmylou Harris cover of an old Willie Nelson tune no one likes..and The Blind Boys of Miniskosha throwing some pots and pans down the stairs .....but first .....Manhattan Transfer!...

Cue terrifying ads for water charges,tv licences and go harvey go

To the best of my knowledge yes.

This is exactly how your TV licence fee is used · Business ETC
not listed on this

• RTÉ One – €58.01
  • RTÉ Two – €31.21
  • RTÉ Radio One – €13.40
  • RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta – €8.33
  • RTÉ Lyric FM – €4.79
  • RTÉ Performing Groups – €9.26
  • RTÉ Support for TG4 – €6.39
  • Broadcasting Authority of Ireland levy – €1.75
  • TG4 Deduction – €6.71
  • BCI Sound and Vision fund – €10.53
  • Collection Costs from An Post/Communications and Social Protection Departments – €9.62
though this says differently from 2014 2fm in licence fee row | The Sunday Times

THE Independent Broadcasters of Ireland (IBI) will complain to government about RTE’s allocation of €5m in licence fees to 2fm, its pop-music-driven station.

RTE has designated the heavily loss-making music and talk station as the beneficiary of the subvention. Until recently, the broadcaster boasted that the station did not get a slice of the licence fee.

The subvention will be raised by the IBI at a meeting with Pat Rabbitte, the minister for communications, at a meeting next month.

“It is highly questionable that a state-owned pop music station should be allocated such a major amount of scarce broadcasting funds,” said Peter McPartlin, chief executive of Today FM. “The real question is, what is the station going to deliver for its public that isn’t already being delivered for free elsewhere?”

John Purcell, chief executive of the IBI, said RTE’s policy on 2fm had been “puzzling, contradictory and inconsistent”.

How does this jibe with TV3 and RTE 2?

What's wrong with John Murray? I haven't heard him for about a year but I used to like him.
He's got no personality.

He's very professional and efficient but rather uncomfortable sounding around anything humourous.Strained almost.

I expect its its years as Fine Gael or whoever the fuck it was ,spin doctor sucked the joy out of him

He'd rock at serious news I'd say.

Where is The House of Lords in Dublin?

Bank of Ireland, College Green.
Obviously the Bank used to be the Irish parliament building before the Brits shut it down with the Act of Union in 1800. The building got sold or more likely given to the bank, with the proviso that they keep the House of Lords intact - so they decided to use it as a board room.
They redeveloped the rest of the building a bit, so the regular bank area where the House of Commons used to be isn't quite laid out the same way as the Commons would have been. One of the other conditions of them getting the building off the Brits is that the House of Commons was to disappear so it would not look like a parliament building.
The House of Lords is still there, and still intact in pretty much pristine condition. It's a pretty cool room really, lush red carpet and all this fancy shit, big board table in the middle, and tapestry-like pictures of King Billy and King James on the walls. If you walk into the bank during regular business hours, they'll let you just walk in to have a look around it, no bother. Sometimes they even have a lad doing a wee tour guide type thing for it. I often take visitors to Dublin in to have a look, cause it's a dead good way to waste 15 minutes.

also Ryan Tubridy. His radio show is something like the 26th most listened to on radio, which is appalling. Even Gerry Ryan would have been top 10 almost always. Yet Tubridy is among the 5 highest paid by RTE.

I have nothing much against Tubridy. I'd say hes a nice lad to know, but his show is pretty terrible. Surely an astute bit of business would have been to cut him loose the time they bought back Ray Darcy.

John Creedon's is the only music show I really like on radio1. I met John Murray a couple of times (he was sound by the way) but his show is like a slicker Derek Mooney. I switch to Newstalk at the 9am news.

really enjoyed the shay healy profile earlier this week (even if it was an obit in waiting). lots of good archive footage - where RTE have options others can't compete with.

(for contrast, last night bbc2 showed Stick It | Film review and movie reviews | Radio Times - hardly public service broadcasting either (i was hooked, while flicking, by f.o.b. on the soundtrack and lasted all of 20 minutes))

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back