Government funding (3 Viewers)

Kermit McDermott

9.Goverment involvement in pop music?Now I know your kidding!

There's a short documentary on utube with a load of irish bands talking about government funding for the arts. They make a good point in that, if your an artist or a classical musician you can apply for grants, but if you in a pop/rock band there's nothing.

There's a part where the singer from Humanzi says theres funding to train doctors & scientists and being a musician is as important as being a doctor :):):):):)

He's right. This country needs more people in skinny jeans and leather jackets.......gas

Re: Road Records - A message from the staff

There's a short documentary on utube with a load of irish bands talking about government funding for the arts. They make a good point in that, if your an artist or a classical musician you can apply for grants, but if you in a pop/rock band there's nothing.

There's a part where the singer from Humanzi says theres funding to train doctors & scientists and being a musician is as important as being a doctor :):):):):)

He's right. This country needs more people in skinny jeans and leather jackets.......gas

that was gas, "like, give me 10 grand and send me to New York to make an album, y'know"

knew the camera man on that actually, got the lowdown on John o' Donoghue storming out when they asked him unscripted questions .|..|

It's not quite as absurd as it sounds. Canada gives (or at least gave until the recent elections) grants to musicians that don't exist in the classical realm and it seems to have worked out for them.

It's not quite as absurd as it sounds. Canada gives (or at least gave until the recent elections) grants to musicians that don't exist in the classical realm and it seems to have worked out for them.

Sweden does too as well as subsidising instruments and rehearsal spaces for kids over 13(i think)

but we're talkin' about Humanzi here

I think its a great idea. There should be something there, especially the rehearsal place thing. How much do they give the GAA every year?

I think its a great idea. There should be something there, especially the rehearsal place thing. How much do they give the GAA every year?

they had about 5 million earmarked for grants. As far as I know thats been stopped now since the recession hit.

But thats not really comparing like with like. I disagree with the GAA thing, but in that case it was only the elite that were going to be getting anything.

I spent my life playing Gah. I put as much into it as any of these lads do into their music. But I wouldn't have seen a penny of that money.

Not that I disagree with whats being said. I'd love for there to be money there to help bands starting out, but for fucks sake, as a taxpayer if I thought a penny of what I was paying was going to mainline or humanzi I'd be less than happy.

Sweden does too as well as subsidising instruments and rehearsal spaces for kids over 13(i think)

yeah, but they all grow up to be silver spoon shitheads who take everything for granted.

in all seriousness though, i've never been able to figure out why sport, with all its emphasis on competition, winners & losers, etc, is so heavily encouraged and funded for kids, while music, which would surely open young minds to cooperation, creativity, making compromises, et al is pretty much ignored.

yeah, but they all grow up to be silver spoon shitheads who take everything for granted.

in all seriousness though, i've never been able to figure out why sport, with all its emphasis on competition, winners & losers, etc, is so heavily encouraged and funded for kids, while music, which would surely open young minds to cooperation, creativity, making compromises, et al is pretty much ignored.
such qualities do not a profitable sub-contractor make

Yes Shaun Humanzi, the Goverment doesn't pick up on the need to stop buying new test tubes for scientists.

What do FMC actually do? Like they have their CEO agreeing that a music board should be set up, when in actual fact they ARE the music board, who employ full time to staff, who organise a festival every year to promote Irish bands by bringing over Scottish and Canadian bands. Brilliant.

That sort of attitude is why you'll never win a Meteor dude.

because sports keeps you fit.

Cause WHAT'RE YA GAY OR SOMETHIN???

I disagree with the GAA thing, but in that case it was only the elite that were going to be getting anything.

I spent my life playing Gah. I put as much into it as any of these lads do into their music. But I wouldn't have seen a penny of that money.

I don't think that's a fair statement, I'd safely say every club in the country has received grants or funding for new facilities, pitches etc. The money may not be going directly to players but they certainly benefit from it.

The GAA money definitely has influence in funding decisions at local levels. A lot of county councillors are involved in GAA clubs and they are the ones who approve /reduce funding decision. There's been a move in the past five years towards placing more and more conditions on grants for capital projects and of all the organisations I've worked with I've seen the GAA stand their ground and refuse conditions and still receive money in some cases. They aren't totally reliant on grants as they have plenty of money to fall back on in most cases and are just applying for funding because it's been on offer

I'm against Govt involvement in independent music. I think it's bad for both sides: a waste of taxpayers' money and will only create a two-tier scene of those who get grants and those who don't. I'm also against aosdana and a lot of existing funding for the arts - why does the middle class audience for classical music and theatre get a subsidy for their entertainment, while the working classes who race pigeons or go to the cineplex get nothing. (I'm exaggerating but you get my point.)

Best thing they could do is to reduce the VAT on small pressings, as they are collecting on the double at the moment because if you're a small act it's not worth your while to register as a company and claim the vat back, so the VAT gets paid twice: once at pressing stage and once when the album is sold.

Kevin Gallen/My Bro Woody got some money from Offaly County Council according to the liner notes on his (rather excellent) album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back