7 - No tomorrow

Feisty
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
On a platform shaped like a HIV positive foetus, a
Website
theppk.com
I've only recently become aware of some people's downright hatred of popcorn.
An ex despises the stuff because of the noise and smell and moves away from popcorn eaters in the cinema.
I had never really considered it knackery before though.

Anyway, a bunch of cinema chains in the UK are banning it, in part because of 'the cultural idea of it'.
Ridiculous, says I.

It's 'The End' for popcorn at the movies

A growing number of cinemas are barring the snack because it is too downmarket and messy

Madonna says she lost her post-baby bulge by snacking on it, Samuel L. Jackson suspects no one can be trusted who puts sugar on it, and Patricia Arquette threw hers over Christian Slater to get him to notice her in True Romance.
Popcorn has become an integral part of cinema-going. Audiences are willing to double the price of their ticket by forking out up to £4.50 for the snack. But the dominance of popcorn may be at an end. A growing number of cinemas are banning it, and next month the largest art-house chain will introduce popcorn-free screenings.
'Popcorn is a contentious issue. Lots of people absolutely hate it and have asked us to ban it, so we're going to do exactly that,' said Gabriel Swartland, head of media at the Picturehouse Cinema, a chain that comprises 19 Picturehouse-branded screens across the country, including such non-branded venues as the Little Theatre Cinema, Bath. Throughout September, the Picturehouse's Cinema City screen in Norwich will hold popcorn-free screenings at 7pm every Tuesday. 'If it's a success, and I've no reason to suspect it won't be, we'll roll it out across all our cinemas and make it a permanent fixture,' said Swartland.
The Picturehouse has a reputation for pioneering new cinema approaches. They introduced the first 'Mother and Baby' screenings in 1998, a concept picked up by virtually every cinema in the country. 'Going by our experience in the past, it seems likely the bigger chains will pick up on the idea once we've tested the water,' admitted Swartland. 'People either love or hate popcorn. It makes sound business sense to cater to both these audiences.'
Some other cinemas are going further and banning popcorn altogether. Daniel Broch, owner of the Everyman cinema in London's Hampstead, recently bought 17 more venues, including London's Screen on the Hill and the Screen on the Green.
'I will de-popcorn every new venue I acquire,' he said. 'It has a disproportionate influence on the space in terms of its overwhelming smell, the cultural idea of it and the operational problems created by the mess it produces. I'm not saying no popcorn is better than popcorn,' he added. 'But I am saying there is no way in which it fits with the culturally sophisticated brand I wish to sell.'
Nicolas Kent, artistic director of the award-winning Tricycle cinema and theatre, puts the case in stronger terms. 'Popcorn is horrible stuff and I won't have it anywhere near my cinema,' he said. 'It's a form of junk food and that encourages junk entertainment. Its smell is all-pervasive, it makes huge amounts of mess, and it distracts and annoys people intensely.'
Thanks to the immense amount of bulk produced from a relatively small number of kernels, popcorn is the single most profitable product a cinema sells. Depending on its price, it can yield more than 90p on every £1 sold. It also, conveniently, makes customers thirsty for drinks, another high-margin product.
Phil Clapp, chief executive of the Cinema Exhibitors' Association, said: 'Because of the profit made by cinemas on ticket prices, they would struggle to be viable without popcorn.' He admitted, however, that the decision to go popcorn-free could be a canny one. 'These cinemas considering going popcorn-free are creating a radically different model to any we've had before in the industry. But revolutionary as they undoubtedly are, there's also a very sound financial case for their decision.'
Cinema audiences have remained static for the last five years, at about 170 million admissions a year. 'These new-style cinemas are quite rightly seeking to draw in new audiences by transforming the cinema experience,' said Clapp. 'I would expect that, if this pilot trial is a success, it is something the bigger screens will inevitably look at introducing themselves. Not as an overriding policy, but in the same way they have done with other select screenings.'
James Hannaway, owner of the Rex in Berkhamsted, agreed. He restored the Rex to its original Art Deco glory in 2004, replacing the rows of seats with tables, to which waiters bring cheese platters and dishes of olives, chocolates and fruit for between £1.50 and £4. He admitted he could make larger profits by selling popcorn. 'Popcorn is hateful stuff. It is the anathema of everything I want the Rex to be and the decision to ban it was one of the first I made,' he said. 'It's trashy, it makes a mess and it smells. The multiplexes have to sell it because their ambition is to make as much money as possible. My ambition to make a night at the Rex a glamorous, dignified and civilised affair. People dress up to come here. It's special. Popcorn isn't.'
But other chains have found they must compromise. The independent Curzon chain of five cinemas only relinquished its popcorn-free ethos when audiences demanded the snack.
'Audiences in three venues - the Soho, Mayfair and Chelsea Curzons - began asking for popcorn, so we provided it,' said Richard Napper, marketing director. 'Our two other screens - the Renoir and the Richmond Film House - remain popcorn-free.'
There are, Napper adds, distinct differences between audiences. 'The non-popcorn cinema goers are more arty and studious. The non-popcorn cinemas have a very distinct atmosphere too: they're quieter, more sophisticated places.'

Fuckin' eejits. I have a problem with the way popcorn is frowned upon in the IFI. I really like the place other than that horrible manifestation of the otherwise pleasant-enough snobbery.

WILL_SELF_narrowweb__300x390,0.jpg

I demand a compulsory health test with every ticket bought so I don't have to sit through another movie with some prick hacking their lungs up for two hours.

Popcorn is life! I have often bought large bags in the cinema, just for me and then brought it home and eaten the other half for lunch the next day.

Not because I'm poor, but because cinema popcorn matures the same way a lasagne you cook one day tastes better microwaved the next.

Will I apologise for this? Never...

No one really needs to get themselves a gigantic box of Popcorn and/or GIANT soft drink when they go to the cinema though. I really don't get this. Is it related to childhood? Do these people equate cinema-going with sweet treats? If so, why? They're usually always fat bastards anyway. Shouldn't they just grow up?
I've nothing against popcorn itself. Cinema concession stands are often the only way smaller cinemas have to make money but i am against filthy bastards who invariably can't finish their gigantic tubs of popcorn and usually just dump it on the ground when they're done. Harrumph.
Here's hoping they all contract popcorn lung.

And yes ban the talkers, mumblers, sweet packer fumblers and Oap's who talk to the screen.

I hate popcorn at the cinema..During the short time I worked there I burned popcorn every time I tried to make it..it was a nightmare..

I really like popcorn in the cinema but every time I eat it I get a migrane, too salty but soooooooooo good. I went to the cinema yesterday n got ice cream, jesus the girl went over the top with the servings, so much ben and jerrys....yum.|..|.|..|.|..|.|..|

But yeah ban talkers.mobile phone fiddlers etc before popcorn!

mmm cinema popcorn, i cant really see them ever taking it out of the big cinemas tho. cant stand babies crying in the cinema, eps when its not a kids movie, theres newbies shows in most cinemas so patents can get to see 15a movies and bring their babies with them. pisses me off as ive gone to the hassle of getting someone to mind my kid so why should i have to listen to theirs for two hours?

I miss buttery popcorn at the cinema, if I want to clog my arteries with lovely, liquid butter so be it.Fascists bastards trying to keep me healthy

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back