What was the first gig you ever went to?? (1 Viewer)

mc moley

Website
Visit site
here's your chance to look old school!
ah no just wondering....

mine was some garage band in new jersey....cant remember their name...lotsa hair.
i went with my mom though so no points for that!

mine was green day in the SFX when i was 13, or possibly fourteen, so i spose it coulda been worse. D Generation supported and they were fuckin painful. And their guitarist dressed like a woman. how... risque

Therapy?
Ash
Joyrider

Ulster Hall, December 30th, 1995

or if that's too much of a concert as opposed to a gig

Trans Am
Olympic Lifts

Auntie Annies, January ?th, 2000

both were fuckin' life changing, natch.

smashing pumpkins, sfx.

the night ash supported, not whipping boy.

pre-mellon collie! the boy corgan still had hair!

then soundgarden/tad/mudhoney/white zombie the next night in the rds.

all very corporate-grunge, i must say.

i did see christy moore when i was 12, though. does that count?

tom. said:
i did see christy moore when i was 12, though. does that count?
christ i hope not, i saw meatloaf when i was 11.

the only thing i know about tad is that he played in a band called Red Set that did nothing but cover 'Entertainment!' by the Gang of Four. Risssspect!

B for the Spree said:
christ i hope not, i saw meatloaf when i was 11.

the only thing i know about tad is that he played in a band called Red Set that did nothing but cover 'Entertainment!' by the Gang of Four. Risssspect!

let me guess: you also have the reissue of 'entertainment!' with the silly quotes on the inside cover.

first gig at all (six years ago) pulp, garbage, the beastie boys and some woeful irish bands that i can't remember, in galway, I only saw pulp tho because i was scoring some guy behind the portaloos

first punk in terms of diy gig (the same summer or the next one, can't remember) tooth in galway

first punk in terms of music gig (2000 I think) - uk subs, the steam pig, control and sir k, in some place on o'connell st.

ITalkShite said:
let me guess: you also have the reissue of 'entertainment!' with the silly quotes on the inside cover.
Well done, Watson. I also have the reissue of 'Solid Gold' with the bonus live tracks.

"CHEESEBURGER!"

I liked the silly quote where Flea takes the piss out of Edge for failing to acknowledge his obvious knicking of Andy Gill's guitar parts.

First for me:
Back in my underage drinking - cira 15years old - 1993 i think..
Stuffed Monkey - a covers band from Tralee doin Mudhoney/Nirvana/Velvats
The Driven - Limerick crowd, still going i think.

Whipping Boy - 2 mile inn limeirck - in 1st year in collage (17/18yrs)

When i started really going to gigs i first saw..i think:
Sweep the Leg Johnny - first tour
God speed You black emperor in galway

first normal - rem or something. belly played too.
first diy gig - hope gig - abinhanda / 2000 strong / low end (i think!) in the fusion bar.

the strange guy said:
First concert - Beastie Boys, RDS 1993.
First gig - Chinaman sometime in early 1996. Don't remember the bands. What an impression they made on me.

Scarily enough, mine was Paranoid Visions and RDF in The Mansion House in Waterford when I was about 15.Therapy played there about a week later I think as well.Or maybe it was the other way around...

propagandhi in the temple bar music centre a couple of years ago. it was a good place to start since they had just become my favourite band a few months before.

i actually saw michael jackson in landsdowne road when i was about 8 or something....leave out the molesting jokes...

First ever gig - a shite soul band called Zoot & The Roots in the Leadmill, Sheffield. 1987. Even then I knew that wasn't what I was looking for.

First ever 'big name' gig: The Mission & Red Lorry Yellow Lorry. Ulster Hall, Belfast 1988. Still not what I wanted.

First punk gig: Joe Strummer & The Latino Rockabilly War on the Rock Against The Rich Tour 1988. Once again in the Sheffield Leadmill. Now we were starting to get somewhere...

First DIY/hardcore gig: Hunt Sabs benefit in the Arts College Belfast: FUAL, Plastic Jesus, Scorched Earth, God Cops (?). February 1989. It has been a slippery slope from then on...

(Seeing Therapy wasn't my first gig, but I did see their first gig...)

B for the Spree said:

Try and track down a copy of the song "Behemoth" by Tad. It may sound silly and dated now, but that was the proverbial shit pre-Grunge explosion.

first show: channel 59/the scofflaws/mephiskapheles, and other no name classic long island ska bands back during the end of the ska craze when i was 14..

first hardcore show: 2 days after that, with crappy lihc bands, and amazingly enough i still have the flyer!!

first gig: shakin' stevens in the national arena (12th June 1981).
I don't count the front row seats at a couple of Dickie Rock shows in the Olympia

first punk gig: ripcord in mcgonagles, 1988 (or was it 87?)
Or it was possibly The Instigators around the same time. Pretty sure it was ripcord though.

first metal gig: Ozzy Osbourne in the Top Hat, 1988

first concert: Blur in the point, i was probably around 14, fun for all.

first gig: For those that remember the baldoyle youth club, "Kreeky" gigs, puget sound played but the crowd prefered the local band. Puget ended up fighting with the organisers cause someone's da took rors sticks off him cause the music was too loud for the civilised suburban folk like are selfs

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back