Ungdomshuset Evicted (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter W.
  • Start date
  • Replies 359
  • Views 42K
  • Watchers 15
i'd have thought those raised fingers were for the benefit of the riot cops more than for a photo..
anyway speaking of sexy fascists, some of those danish pigs are pretty hot.

Ungdomshuset_175425i.jpg

some of the masked up posturing by various groups / indvdividuals ive seen in dublin over the years has been funny and brightened up my day

But even if the city retained ownership the collective running the building argue that they had renovated it sufficiently after the fire. The eviction is obviously more to do with the nature of the organising going on in the building and a europe-wide scheme of evicting social centres (quite likely because of the central role they played in the 1999-2003 summit mobilisations). Both sides have a claim, the state has the better legal claim at this point, unsurprisingly, but the squatters have 24 years of use of the building which certainly counts for something.

I dont know why turbonegro dont just get their best mate bam to buy a new building for the youth.

I have no bias against the squatters. People who know more about it than me say the space provided a valuable service and that's fine by me.

But the more I hear about the circumstances surrounding the eviction the more I believe the squatters have only themselves to blame. Undoubtedly the squatters were treated unfairly but they seem to have been living in a parallel universe as far as dealing wih the council is concerned.

They were happy to deal with the council that they had a history of conflict with on the basis of a nod and a wink and a shure your grand the building is yours. Instead of ensuring the building was put in trust or that they got the deeds or a long cheap lease.

It's hardly biased of me to point out how fucking colossally stupid that was.

I have no bias against the squatters. People who know more about it than me say the space provided a valuable service and that's fine by me.

But the more I hear about the circumstances surrounding the eviction the more I believe the squatters have only themselves to blame. Undoubtedly the squatters were treated unfairly but they seem to have been living in a parallel universe as far as dealing wih the council is concerned.

They were happy to deal with the council that they had a history of conflict with on the basis of a nod and a wink and a shure your grand the building is yours. Instead of ensuring the building was put in trust or that they got the deeds or a long cheap lease.

It's hardly biased of me to point out how fucking colossally stupid that was.

I think shorty's post clears this up though, no?

Look, the original contract in 1982 gave usage rights to the youth. There was a new contract signed in 96 that the council claimed nullified the previous one, which it can't legally do under danish law. (this is sending this discussion into a very legalistic trajectory, which is bullshit anyway). Recently, as in November, there was a mild scandal in that one of the politicians dealing with the case of ungdomshuset hadn't even seen the original contract. The selling of the house may have had something to do with rent, I'm not sure, I can ask someone here, but I also heard something about claims of drug use/sale and then the "illegal" activities being organised from the house (I can only interpret the latter in political terms) as a precursor to selling the house. Recently, there was also another mini scandal in the police saying that "No, we never said that about the house back in 99" in reference to the drugs and illegal activities. Also, there's no allegedly when it comes to the sale of the house. In fact Faderhuset had made an offer and had been declined as being unsuitable, basically being right wing christian fundamentalist nut jobs. The whole selling of the house is a corrupt farce, with the lawyer in charge of selling it setting up fake companies. The house WAS sold to Human A/S and then the company itself, not the house, was sold to faderhuset, wtih them effectively owning the house and (this part don't understand in Danish legal terms) the council losing the right to buy back the house.

What I've just posted, I feel, is irrelevant at this stage and I'd agree with weelers arguments about the house being put to use versus any supposed profit through sale, development, speculation. Though on a related point and one that revelas the inherent logic of the state and the police (as a wing of the state) as social control, the amount of money that has been spent on the police operation and the last few days would have been enough to have bought the house for the youth in the fist place, 20 (if not more) times over.

One other point, (which again is bullshit, as I support the right of squatters to have somewhere to live and thus for free) the house has only been lived in for the last six months as the threat of eviction necessitated a 24hr presence. So most of the conservative "free loader" sentiment arguments are pretty much also irrelevant but it's good that people were countering them anyway.

It doesn't really its just more of the same rumour and confusion. If they had made sure that they owned the thing or at least had security of tenure then they would still be there!

I know that is harsh but there you go.

It doesn't really its just more of the same rumour and confusion. If they had made sure that they owned the thing or at least had security of tenure then they would still be there!

I would strongly dispute that, the leftist autonomen movement is a thorn in the side of the danish state they wanted them gone regardless, from here I am certain you will see the gentrification of the autonomous region of Christiania in Copenhagen.

I would strongly dispute that, the leftist autonomen movement is a thorn in the side of the danish state they wanted them gone regardless, from here I am certain you will see the gentrification of the autonomous region of Christiania in Copenhagen.

That will probably be the outcome all right.

But regardless, if they had done what was necessary and sensible in their dealings with the council they would still be there no matter how much of a thorn in anyones side thay were.

To say the state wanted them gone regardless does not excuse how easy the task was made for them in the end - legally I mean, the roiting is a different matter.

I could be wrong but everything I have heard from the squatters side explaining the situation sounds more like playground rumour than summary of legal fact. And if they had thrown a few lawyers at the problem years ago perhaps they wouldn't be reduced to throwing cobblestones now!

Like I said I could be wrong and I dont mean to sound insensitive, and I am certainly not biased against the squatters (I am biased against the rioters - and doubly so againt people who travel abroad to riot, you can shoot them cunts as far as I am concerned)

That will probably be the outcome all right.

But regardless, if they had done what was necessary and sensible in their dealings with the council they would still be there no matter how much of a thorn in anyones side thay were.

To say the state wanted them gone regardless does not excuse how easy the task was made for them in the end - legally I mean, the roiting is a different matter.

I could be wrong but everything I have heard from the squatters side explaining the situation sounds more like playground rumour than summary of legal fact. And if they had thrown a few lawyers at the problem years ago perhaps they wouldn't be reduced to throwing cobblestones now!

You are aware that they had a long legal battle?

I am biased against the rioters - and doubly so againt people who travel abroad to riot, you can shoot them cunts as far as I am concerned

Fuck you, it's called solidarity. Fair fucks to anyone who travelled to defend the place.

You are aware that they had a long legal battle?
Yes

Fuck you, it's called solidarity. Fair fucks to anyone who travelled to defend the place.
No doubt there are many genuine people who went to show solidarity with their friends. But there are also plenty of riot tourists who are only a couple of Chomsky quotes above soccer hooligans.

No doubt there are many genuine people who went to show solidarity with their friends. But there are also plenty of riot tourists who are only a couple of Chomsky quotes above soccer hooligans.

I'm sure you'd like to believe that. Perhaps if you could back it up with any evidence I'd concede the point but as it is you're just stereotyping.

But that person didn't actually book a flight and travel over, it's just a remark on the internet.

You said that people who travelled over should be shot and then said there was a mindless element to it. The person you cite certainly didn't travel over.

But there are also plenty of riot tourists who are only a couple of Chomsky quotes above soccer hooligans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back