Ungdomshuset Evicted (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter W.
  • Start date
  • Replies 359
  • Views 42K
  • Watchers 15
today someone in work said to me (something along the lines of)

"what did they expect. they talk about anti-state activities. they just couldn't defend themselves properly - they have had too long sitting comfortably with a lefty government (since 2001)"

made me laugh anyway

Lets see how many of the 600 get deported!

I read earlier there were roughly 60 foreign activists in prison.

This still doesnt prove your point for a number of reasons; your assumption of guilt for one and if they were rioting it still doesnt mean they are "mindless" - if i was there I would be rioting (and im obviously not mindless ;)).

the fact that people travelled to be involved would suggest that they were mindful of the situation, no?
it's not like they were walking down o'connell street looking for something to rob when out of nowhere a love ulster parade happened along.

It's not like they were walking down o'connell street looking for something to rob when out of nowhere a love ulster parade happened along.

Well, actually..

this may be irrelevant - but you're assuming that state actors are corrupt. I'm not starting with that assumption and I'm not assuming that some of the activities in the social centre are corrupt either.....

ok, but it depends what you mean by corrupt. not too sure what you mean by corruption within the activities of the social centre.

on the politician and state actor side i admit that i am very cynical. i'm not pretending to be objective. i do concede that there are many people in state bodies and so on that are straight up and concerened about shit. but if you have to tow the party line, humour bureaucracy, and limit your actions according to higher politicians and policy makers who may well be corrupt or courting buisness interests then it's gonna be hard for them to work within the interests of such groups when those groups are structured in a much more transparent and much less hierarchical way than their own.

not to mention the issue of agenda-setting and whose interests are being represented in any decision making process.

social partnership is a prime example of why any group with limited resources should be reluctant to engage with state bodies.

it's hard to explain or imagine without specifics and i'm not sure exactly what you were suggesting in the first place.

but i would suggest that the possibility of corruption of those in possesion of power is far more likely than those without it.

anyone know whats happening over there at the moment? i take it the rioting has ran its course.what type of charges can the people that were in the house during the evection be brought up on?and has local support really dwained since the rioting occured as many media reports have stated?

there will be a solidarity demo outside the danish embassy at 2 on friday (i think)

Embassy of Denmark
121-122 St. Stephen's Green
Dublin 2
Ireland

I hope i have these details right, if not i'll correct them as soon as possible

it's hard to explain or imagine without specifics and i'm not sure exactly what you were suggesting in the first place.

i'm not sure if i was suggesting anything really. I was more pondering what options were available for the future - when people have let off steam and out of prison etc. I never thought the centre was enough of a threat to the Danish state to warrant demolition but obviously things change and numerous factors come into play - and sometimes all it takes is one security officer, one senior civil servant, one local politician to say "tear that shit down"

as for engaging with state bodies I fully agree but over the years I have been involved with campaign groups that are dependant on state bodies and some that explicitly lie outside that !ninjaaaa - I had to know where the boundaries lie.

there will be a solidarity demo outside the danish embassy at 2 on friday (i think)

Embassy of Denmark
121-122 St. Stephen's Green
Dublin 2
Ireland

I hope i have these details right, if not i'll correct them as soon as possible

Hi theDonal,

i won't be able to make something dring working hours but make sure you post this to indymedia etc (if the demo was at 1 people might be able to make it over lunch though)

good luck with it

Hi theDonal,

i won't be able to make something dring working hours but make sure you post this to indymedia etc (if the demo was at 1 people might be able to make it over lunch though)

good luck with it

i suspect he wants to make sure some of the embassy staff see the demo when they return from their lunch break of danish pasteries

"but make sure you post this to indymedia etc"
cool, i'll do that, thanks

actually, i never post on Indymedia, i wonder could someone that posts here do it? if i get no replies I'll do it this evening

Maybe people could think about putting back the demo til saturday, as the 10th is a big demo here in copenhagen and they want it as an International Day of Solidarity.

Maybe people could think about putting back the demo til saturday, as the 10th is a big demo here in copenhagen and they want it as an International Day of Solidarity.

I think a properly organised larger demo should be called for sometime next week demanding the release of all the prisoners. I think someone from the wsm will be suggesting it on friday.

That will probably be the outcome all right.

But regardless, if they had done what was necessary and sensible in their dealings with the council they would still be there no matter how much of a thorn in anyones side thay were.

To say the state wanted them gone regardless does not excuse how easy the task was made for them in the end - legally I mean, the roiting is a different matter.

I could be wrong but everything I have heard from the squatters side explaining the situation sounds more like playground rumour than summary of legal fact. And if they had thrown a few lawyers at the problem years ago perhaps they wouldn't be reduced to throwing cobblestones now!

Like I said I could be wrong and I dont mean to sound insensitive, and I am certainly not biased against the squatters (I am biased against the rioters - and doubly so againt people who travel abroad to riot, you can shoot them cunts as far as I am concerned)

Aaaagghhhh! If you go to the interview on indymedia, you'll see the legal process has been going on for the last six years, there have been numerous meetings and discussions with the politicians (in person), the press campaign has been faultless (in respect to what they set out to do with it) as far as I can see and has totally emphasised the social and cultural importance of the house. Ungdomshuset has rallied a huge cross section of danish society in it's campiagn and networked not over several countries, but several continents. But at the end of the day, the politicians and the state fucked them over.

And these continuous conversations about the legal wranglings are framed within a discourse that most of us are entertaining when I think the arguments put forward so far show we should be moving beyond it. Yet we keep getting dragged back in.

As for the last paragraph, I think that's been dealt with (international solidarity). But to re-emphasise what I said in my first post, the vast majority of people were locals and from Norrebro.

Still not sure of the exactitudes of the danish legfal system but the people who were in the house when it was evicted were given 27 days after which they'll be given more time and then they may be given a date for a court case.

www.blackcross.dk

Alot of the foreign people were arrsted in the raids on houses which were specificly targetting foreigners. As a percentage of people arrested, foreigners are quite small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back