The World Cup (2 Viewers)

Dennis Wilson wrote that, though I don't think he was credited. I don't think I can ever be truly happy in this life knowing all about Dennis.

Alan Shearer actually said that England's probem is they're too honest.

I seriously think that if Nigeria had acted the way other teams do when they were playing France, they would have got a penalty (which they deserved) and won the game 1-0 in normal time. Have to say, I didn't think I'd be saying Nigeria are too honest for their own good!

I was talking to a guy yesterday that used to love football but isn't bothered with it at all any more because of the amount of diving and rolling about that goes on. I can see where he's coming from.

Jesus, I feel sorry for your friend as he's missing out on a brilliant World Cup. The best international tournament in years in my opinion.

Also I don't think there has been that much diving in the World Cup at all. There's been lots of bad defending coupled with hell-for-leather attacking play which has made for a great spectacle.

On the broader issue of diving, I find the implication that there were 'rare auld times' in football free from gamesmanship or cheating really odd.

I read a blog post a few weeks ago about gamesmanship in Scottish football in the late 1800s. Simulation appears to have been going on in one form or another since football was codified.

I actually agree in general that this is the best World Cup in years and there's been some great attacking vs completely shit defending on offer.
I think part of my issue is that I actually really appreciate genuinely good defending that gives balance to a team (as opposed to 'put 10 men behind the ball in our own half and lump it if we get it' Chelsea defending in Europe) and there hasn't been much genuinely good defending going on. I thought Chile defended really well against Brazil, particularly that big stocky fella Medel who was brilliant in that game, but you also didn't see Chile sitting back and lumping the ball to nobody.

But aside from that, there has been loads of diving to hold up play, much more than you usually see. I think as mentioned before that conditions are a big part of it - players are more willing to go down to get a breather because they are playing in 30º heat in a jungle, and that. But I also think that loads of players are doing it because they see others like Cronaldo and Robben not only getting away with it, but winning decisions and getting the other team and booked and that. Like, every time someone goes down, if the camera switches to the manager on the sidelines they are almost always waving their hands asking for a card from the referee.
Also, the amount of times players have gone down in the penalty area, looking for a penalty, and the referee has waved them to get up - BUT NOT BOOKED THEM - is hugely annoying. Like, if a player goes down and starts rolling about and waving their arms and all this shit, if it's not a penalty, then it's a free-kick to the other team, and a booking. Fucking sort it out.

Did ye see Khedira there, getting a stretcher brought over to him for GETTING HIT BY THE FUCKING FOOTBALL???

That's exactly the sort of shit I'm talking about here. Cheating to hold the game up. Just fucking get up and get on with it you total cunts.

You might almost think Khedira plays for the same club as Cronaldo or something.

Did ye see Khedira there, getting a stretcher brought over to him for GETTING HIT BY THE FUCKING FOOTBALL???

That's exactly the sort of shit I'm talking about here. Cheating to hold the game up. Just fucking get up and get on with it you total cunts.

You might almost think Khedira plays for the same club as Cronaldo or something.

Are you Jonathan Pearce and Lawro's love child by any chance?

Hahaha, who the fuck watches the shit BBC commentary anyway? RTE and the lads all the way!!
Lawro is a cunt because he will complain about Khedira doing that, but if it happened to fucking Rooney or Sterling or someone he'd be calling for a penalty somehow.

Oh pipe down. Soon you'll be saying there aren't enough strong female characters.
Hahaha, who the fuck watches the shit BBC commentary anyway? RTE and the lads all the way!!
Lawro is a cunt because he will complain about Khedira doing that, but if it happened to fucking Rooney or Sterling or someone he'd be calling for a penalty somehow.

I have to. RTE player is fucking shite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back