The Exploited (1 Viewer)

PiperX

Just heard that The Exploited are playing Whelans on Friday 6th June! I've seen them a few times now, (Morecambe, Blackpool, Vicar Street), and they are brilliant live, especially when they keep to their Troops of Tomorrow stuff. Bring it on.

the dodgiest "punk" band of all time. hopefully some dissident republicans will reduce whelans to rubble.

the dodgiest "punk" band of all time. hopefully some dissident republicans will reduce whelans to rubble.

I've always heard different stories about The Exploited, (especially about Wattie) being a facist/right-wing/loyalist/basically dodgey stuff, but have found no evidence of it anywhere, In fact, a lot of their lyrics (see The Massacre album) are all out anti-fa/anti-war/anti-prejudice. I don't know much about the band, but the rumors about them never make sense.

The songs might be anti-prejudice, but on a live version of 'I hate you' he calls Jello Biafra "that faggot"; there is the countless stories of Wattie in the army in Belfast; there is the not so happy reference to jews in a song (i admit i can't remember which one right now); there is the live photos in which is alledged you can see B&H security...ye know, when you get som many of these things, usually if not all, something is true.

The songs might be anti-prejudice, but on a live version of 'I hate you' he calls Jello Biafra "that faggot"; there is the countless stories of Wattie in the army in Belfast; there is the not so happy reference to jews in a song (i admit i can't remember which one right now); there is the live photos in which is alledged you can see B&H security...ye know, when you get som many of these things, usually if not all, something is true.

I know what you're saying, I've heard loads of different things about him, but as I was saying before his lyrics go completely against the rumours. I've never seen any anti-jewish lyrics, and his songs about his time serving the British army in Belfast are about the stupidy and waste of the situation for all the sides involved, and that was the reason why he left the army.
Don't get me wrong I'm not an apologist for Wattie, in fact if I thought they were anyway dodgey I'd be keeping well clear of them. It's just that I always found it intriguing how they have so many rumours about them down through the years, but there's nothing to substantiate it. Maybe somebody could throw some light on it?

By the way, calling anyone a 'faggot' is not on, but if he meant it in the context that Biafra is a bit of a bollix, I wouldn't have a huge problem with that!

The songs might be anti-prejudice, but on a live version of 'I hate you' he calls Jello Biafra "that faggot";

Was this live version when Big John Duncan was in the band, cause they later kicked him out of the band for being gay. A little uncomfortable he'd have been feeling I'd say.

Still if this gig is on I'll be making an appearance. Never actually got to see them before. See If I can start some trouble Hee Hee.

Fergus Madpooka asked him straight out if was a nazi :)

He said he wasn't.

I think Wattie doesn't give a shit- not a very punk attitude I know....

Was this live version when Big John Duncan was in the band, cause they later kicked him out of the band for being gay. .

I read somewhere that John left simply because he wanted to play different stuff.

Heh there are loads of bands that say a thing and then do the total opposite, wouldn't be the first time that someone talks shit in lyrics.
Anyways, can't remember when the live was recorded, it was either 'Live and loud' or 'Live lewd lust'. But that even the original was recorded years after Big John's departure.

But whatever may the truth be, i always thought that Wattie is a bit dodgy and a bit too ambiguous politically. Let's put it this way, i wouldn't be too comfortable at a Exploited gig.

I doubt very much if wattie is a fascist/rascist/nazi/whatever. I've been called a nazi myself by irish punks in the past just for getting in a few rows at gigs. So i'd pay no heed to stories of the same ilk about wattie.

Always regret leaving Cock Sparrer at wasted to go see the exploited..... they were absolute fuckin shite. Sayin that, I think I'll still give em a chance in a smaller venue.

Jesus christ Dregin...from one facist band to another!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back