SULTANS OF PING FC Temple Bar Music Centre (3 Viewers)

thickaspigshit said:
What a fuckin night. Thought this might be a bit cheesy but far from it.

Gig of the year/decade

Some pics here http://www.photoboxgallery.com/245445

I'll second that. Ten times better than their gigs last time I saw them 96/97, and nearly as good as they were when I first saw them in Berneys in 1992. Yes my gig of the year - Mikabomb a close 2nd.

(Isn't it a bit ironic though that one of NOF's favourite themes back in the day was bashing "arty-farty" lefties and now he's doing an ultra-arty-farty masters degree in the History of Ideas or some such in Oxford?)

I wonder is it possible - just possible - they might get some sense and get back together permanently?

Jim A. Morrish said:
sultans trivia:

nof of the sultans wrote most/all of mika bomb's 1st album and was, for as time, wed to mika herself i'm semi-reliably informed.

I didn't realise they were married - I knew they were romantically entwined sts - but you can certainly hear NOF's influence on Mikabomb's 1st album - it was NOF who came up with he name Mikabomb. Apparently by the 2nd album, Mika and NOF had gone their separate ways, both musically and romantically, but the odd thing is that the 2nd album still has a NOF feel to it in places.

SULTANS OF PING
U TALK 2 MUCH: Live At The Cork Savoy Theatre
DVD Release Date: 4th DECEMBER 2006
Cherry Red Records (Pinnacle Distribution)
www.sultansofping.com ::: www.myspace.com/thesultansofping

Tracklisting:

1 Back In A Tracksuit
2 Give Him A Ball
3 Teenage Punks
4 Mescaline
5 Two Pints Of Rasa
6 Michiko
7 Five Years
8 Teenrage Rock n Roll Girl
9 Veronica
10 Wake Up And Scratch Me
11 Scar On My Face
12 Kick Me With Your Leather Boots
13 Stupid Kid
14 U Talk 2 Much
15 Let’s Go Shopping
16 Japanese Girls
17 Where’s Me Jumper
18 Turnip Fish
19 I Said I Am I Said

THE SULTANS OF PING RETURN

A HISTORY LESSON

The Sultans Of Ping FC start in early 1989.Their first demo is recorded in 1990 and includes "Where's Me Jumper".They headline Eurorock 1990 as the token local crowd pulling band. Ian Wilson, producer of the Dave Fanning show on RTE, loves the show and offers them their first radio session. In June 1991 the Sultans are again invited to be the closing headline act, this time at the Cork Rocks Festival. Martin Heath of Rhythm King Records catches their set by accident and promptly offers them a deal. The band play their first UKshows in November 1991.

"Where's Me Jumper" is released as a single in january 1992 and instantly becomes a cult classic. It becomes the biggest selling single of the year in Ireland beating off competition from Bryan Adams' "Everything I Do". The Sultans release two further singles that year "Stupid Kid" and "Veronica" which strengthens the band's profile even more.

Their debut LP "Casual Sex In The Cineplex" comes out in January 1993 and crashes into the top 30 of the UK album charts. The fourth single "U Talk Too Much" also makes the top 30 singles charts. The Sultans spend most of the year touring in the UK, Ireland, Europe and Japan clocking up 150 shows during the year playing in places as diverse as Letterkenny and Hiroshima while still finding time to write their second LP. By this time the band have dropped the FC from their name in a bizarre attempt to be taken seriously. Three singles from the upcoming lp are released -"Teenage Punks","Wake Up And Scratch Me" and the classic "Michiko".All make the top 75 of the UK singles charts.

The second LP "Teenage Drug" is released in 1994 but doesn't have the same impact as their debut. The band decide to adopt a harder more American influenced sound and recruit Sammy Steiger (ex Golden Horde) to their ranks to beef up the guitar sound.The Sultans continue to tour incessantly to smaller but still enthusiastic audiences. In 1995 the "Of Ping" is quietly dropped from the name and the band are now just known as Sultans.

Third lp "Good Year For Trouble" arrives in 1996 but fails to sell well despite good reviews.The band are dropped by their record label and the writing seems to be on the wall. The Sultans get back to doing what they know best, playing live, and they set off around the UK, Ireland and Europe again. They support The Ramones on their last european tour as well as supporting The Sex Pistols in France.
1997 sees the band still on the road but starting to run out of steam. Their last show takes place in Cork in December 1997 and the night is ruined by aggressive bouncers who spend the evening attacking sultans fans.The band split up after the show.

THE PRESENT

The Sultans "Where's Me Jumper" is voted 2nd best Irish song of all time by listeners to the Ian Dempsey show on Today Fm in 2004. The songs get played again on the radio and everyone wonders when the band will resurface. 8 years after their last show the Sultans return to the fold with some Irish shows in December 2005. Four original members remain - Niall O'Flaherty on vocals, Pat O'Connell on guitar, Morty McCarthy on drums,S ammy Steiger on lead guitar. They are joined by Ian Olney (ex Power Of Dreams) on bass who replaces Alan MacFeely.

2006 sees The Sultans continue to play sporadic gigs.Cherry Red Records will be releasing a DVD that captures the band playing live in front of their hometown audience in December 2005.

jim,do you know of any sources that have the sultans documentary that was shown in the quad a few years back as part of the film festival, Trying to sell your soul when the devil wont listen.(or something along those lines).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back