Sexism, god help us (3 Viewers)

For what it's worth -- and I'm not sure if it has been said -- I'd say Egg and Egglady are doing far more for women's sports and women's stuff in general by raising two girls, encouraging them to do sports (possibly a wild assumption on my part), facilitating them with balanced political and social values (I can only assume, though possibly he's indoctrinating them with pinkoism, being the dogged lefty that he is), and providing them with a loving home and education, than any amount of shiteing on on the internet would do. Facebook activism really is the pits.
what? are you saying having female children does more to combat sexism than acknowledging or challenging it?

Ah jaysis, can I not say anything without it being reduced to "Because X!"

So there are 2 kinds of society - one where ideas have currency and one where they don't. We live in the first kind, so clearly demonstrating that women are being treated unfairly is going to result in women being treated more fairly?

Simply. Yes.

So there are 2 kinds of society - one where ideas have currency and one where they don't. We live in the first kind, so clearly demonstrating that women are being treated unfairly is going to result in women being treated more fairly?

This isn't really an answer about civil rights, but more to do with power dynamics, but here we go ...

Because people in power want to stay in power, and one stays in power by maintaining the support of the public at large, this is even true in the case of theocracies or dictatorships, it's just that the mechanisms to unseat someone from power in those systems are a bit tougher to get to work. If enough of the public at large are convinced of an idea then it becomes a policy that is advantageous for a leader to pursue. So if you clearly demonstrate to enough people that x is a good thing/y is a bad thing then it becomes more likely that an idea will be adopted within that society. (This by the way is also obviously how repressive laws come into being)

As a leader you can be loved, or you can be feared, or even just disliked but respected, but what you can't be is hated, and one way to be hated is to be seen to be opposed to the will of society at large.

and what the fuck is that contributing to "women's sports and women's stuff in general "?
How is that even a question ?

"Hey daughter"

"Yes father"

"You are equal to everyone else on the planet, no matter their race gender religion or nationality"

"Yes father"

"What would you like to do today?"

"Boxing"

"Right lets find you a club and some gloves"

Is that simple enough ?

How is that even a question ?

"Hey daughter"

"Yes father"

"You are equal to everyone else on the planet, no matter their race gender religion or nationality"

"Yes father"

"What would you like to do today?"

"Boxing"

"Right lets find you a club and some gloves"

Is that simple enough ?
/father leaves room and logs onto the internet to shout down women trying to explain and share experiences of how real world sexism is harmful/

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back