Sexism, god help us (1 Viewer)

We shouldn't even be talking about this. Let girls do what they want to do.

I'm sorry but seriously has anyone said any different ? I mean really has anyone said any different ?

right
not because you're wilfully missing the point as always

this is a thread about sexism. i don't give a fuck about sport. i give a fuck about both genders getting equal support to do what they want to, that could be painting warhammer figures or making sand sculptures or playing the kazoo on a unicycle, i'm not about to go out and start coaching those fucking things just to gain your permission to speak about sexism.

and surely the sports forum is the place to post about your newfound enthusiasm for women's sport?

Drunk as I may be.

For fuck sake nooly believe it or not I am a feminist I do genuinely believe we are all equal. I do not go around behaving like sexism isn't a thing but I also don't behave like my penis entitles me to an opinion on fatherhood or plumbing. That's been my point all along. Women's sport, women's fucking anything brings out this feminist attitude that totalises everything in line with the orator's experience. If you don't give a shit about sport don't disparage people who do genuinely give a shit about women's sport from having an opinion on it. Having a vagina does not give you that right.

You posted this banging a head against the wall gif when I posted about how a feminist journalist ostensibly boiled all women's sports coverage down to the idea that the only reason it was broadcast was because it involved scantily clad women.

Well right then lets talk about that.

If you genuinely believe that article then go and call every woman who practices those sports mentioned a whore. Because that's the amount of respect those women are being treated with in an article like that and aparantly that's the same amount of respect that us sports fans have for them too.

"Best in the world is it ?"

"Yeah I won at the olympics"

"Yeah but you wear a leotard, so the only reason anyone gives a shit is because they have their dick in their hand"

"Ehhhh ...wha?"

Well that's not fucking true.

But wait you don't give a fuck about sport, so that's okay is it ?

Well it's not okay in my book and why ? Because the fucking journalist writing the piece also does not give a fuck about sport.

And that's my point. I'm not wilfully missing any fucking point.

Sexism is real. I get it, fair enough. I can't empathise because I'm not a woman I'm not a minority and I understand that the way I carry myself on thumped will result in misunderstanding and that is my fault I admit it. But being female does not give you the right to speak for females in every capacity or walk of life because your experience does not always reflect theirs.

and while I'm at it @Squiggle I asked you some genuine questions none of which you answered. I was not taking the piss (although I was pissed at the time) I was not being facetious, I was being genuine. And by the way if you had a coach who pushed you out of a sport you loved you have my empathy and fuck them cunts.

Man United's women's team doesn't exist anyway.

arsenal_1385161c.jpg

Zingggggggg

So I'm wrong am I ?

Tell me again how I'm wrong.
facilitating them with balanced political and social values
direct quote from snakybus

nooly said:
given egg's complete lack of insight on gender issues i have no idea how
he could be facilitating them with balanced social values
direct reference to direct quote from snakybus - i don't agree that refusing to acknowledge sexism can be described as having balanced social values

i notice you liked his children being brought into the argument when it suited your agenda

For fuck sake nooly believe it or not I am a feminist I do genuinely believe we are all equal.
if you're a feminist stop shouting people down or making argument-baiting sexist jokes every time there is the barest mention of gender or sexism.

because all i see you do is aggressively overreact to any attempt to discuss gender issues.

why, if you're a feminist, do you react with rage when other feminists try to make themselves heard?

Being a parent is a huge responsibility. How we treat our children at home, the toys we give them, the books we read them, the chores we assign them and the activities we do with them, will influence their sense of self, and identity, regardless of their gender.

So if parents raise their children to think that it is ok for them to be excluded from activities on the basis of gender, or that there are "boy" activities and "girl" activities we are restricting them.

That works both ways, not teaching boys how to sew a button, wash their clothes or cook a meal is just as bad. If we treat them equally when they are young and the differences minimal then they have a better chance of making their own life choices, rather than being heavily influenced by our preconceptions of what is boy or girl... which unfortunately seem to be based on what is man and woman, and the extreme results (thankfully not too common) of this are little girls running around in "sexy" clothes and little boys acting like thugs off a soap.

It starts at childhood, my Dad treated us all equally, and encouraged our interests regardless of whether they were "gender appropriate". If I wanted to shoot, fish, work on the farm, help him fix tractors, sort the tools in his workshop etc instead of cooking and cleaning then that was fine with him, and when I wanted to do Engineering for the Leaving Certificate and had to fight the school for the right (they felt I should do bookkeeping, or maybe home economics) I knew he had my back if I needed him.

Even the most empowered of Disney princesses lives a severely limited life, breaks free in a moment of rebellion, and ends happily ever after by marrying the first man she meets, and presumably settling down to be a good little dutiful wife. What role models!

Seeing as I am slightly responsible for getting this ship off the rails…

There are a number of issues being conflated here. Eggs original article is about coverage of women’s sport, as opposed to participation.

When it comes to coverage, I can’t find fault with the article. What’s covered on TV and in newspapers is what sells TV and newspapers. If there was genuine interest in women’s soccer, LOI soccer or any number of “minority” sports, then they would be better attended and would warrant more prominent coverage. That’s not sexism – it’s economics. You can argue edge cases like American Football played in underwear etc, but they are that – edge cases.

Women’s tennis is very well covered on TV and in print – why? Because it’s a better sport, than men’s tennis, draws big crowds and big sponsorship. Women’s golf is also well covered.

Participation is a different issue..

There’s work to be done by parents to ensure what happened to Squiggle doesn’t happen to their kids. But these attitudes are fading away and fading fast. One of the highest participation sports (apparently) in the country is tag rugby with mixed teams, and the country’s patron saint is a female boxer.

What’s covered on TV and in newspapers is what sells TV and newspapers.
yes, but there's a very obvious feedback loop between what people are into and what they're shown in media

the shift in tone of the coverage of gaza was a very good example - you could say it's because what's happening this time is so bad that of course more and more people are going to be outraged by it but israel has been acting the prick for decades and it only generated opposition from the usual outspoken left-wing types who sought out information outside of mainstream media
when the tone changed in mainstream media suddenly everyone's facebook feed was flooded with outraged posts from people who'd never engaged with it before

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back