Sexism, god help us (1 Viewer)

But I don't see that girls as a group are generally excluded from sports by their immediate social environments. My own girls exclude themselves from sports, and despite years of rough and tumble play with me are basically wimps.
squiggle has explained twice how it happened to her and others

So are girls are less likely to be interested in sports because of biological or social factors? It doesn't matter. The end result is the same, and there's very little anyone can do about it
of course it matters, because if it's sociological there is plenty that everyone can do about it - that's the entire point that people are making here

of course it matters, because if it's sociological there is plenty that everyone can do about it

Like what? Have you ever succeeded in doing something about a societal problem? I've voted Green my whole life, I've been on protests, I've written letters to the newspapers, I've given money to left-wing think tanks, I've spent uncountable hours arguing with people on real life and on the internet, and I've only ever changed somebody's mind about something once (that I can remember)

are you saying you believe social change doesn't happen?

in which case it's odd that you've bothered doing all those things

Social change happens, but unpredictably.

I bothered doing all those things because I didn't realise how futile it was (and I still bother doing the odd little bit because not to do so feels like a sell-out)

There's not even any way to tell if what you're doing isn't counter-productive. Green party members in cabinet probably ended up doing more harm than good to the environment because they damaged their own credibility so much

black civil rights, gay rights and women's rights are three incredibly obvious examples of social change that have already happened because of changing social attitudes driven by growing numbers of people

@nooly yeah, the abolition of slavery is another

But how did these people's attitudes get changed? Was it through fuckers like me banging on about how awful slavery is to their dinner guests, or writing into whatever the Yank version of the Irish Times was back in 1865?

Or was it just a changing economic climate? Or, I dunno, some change in religious behaviour that had some kind of influence on how people regarded slavery? And did haranguing dinner guests just harden people's attitudes and set the cause of abolition back a few years? How can you even begin to figure this shit out?

yes, it was through fuckers banging on

which is why fuckers are going to keep banging on until other fuckers finally understand that sexism is a problem

But how did these people's attitudes get changed? Was it through fuckers like me banging on about how awful slavery is to their dinner guests, or writing into whatever the Yank version of the Irish Times was back in 1865?

Or was it just a changing economic climate? Or, I dunno, some change in religious behaviour that had some kind of influence on how people regarded slavery? And did haranguing dinner guests just harden people's attitudes and set the cause of abolition back a few years? How can you even begin to figure this shit out?

You make an unimpeachable moral argument and eventually things come your way.

well you can say "it was biology" and shut the entire argument down?

ah no.... pretty weak joke there.

You begin to figure this shit out by engaging in it though, not by throwing your hands up in the air and saying "it doesn't matter, the end result is the same"

nooly said:
yes, it was through fuckers banging on

How can you be so sure?

You make an unimpeachable moral argument and eventually things come your way.

Oh come come. Are you being serious? So that means all we have to do is be morally right and eventually all will be well with the world? What about the dramatic downturn in women's rights and human rights in Iran? What about how things are going for gay rights in Russia?

You begin to figure this shit out by engaging in it though, not by throwing your hands up in the air and saying "it doesn't matter, the end result is the same"
I arrived at the throwing-hands-in-the-air part by engaging in it ("it" being politics in general not women's rights specifically)

I tried to figure it out and I failed. I can't see any relationship between my actions (or anyone's actions, with a few exceptions) and outcomes. That's not the same as saying "it doesn't matter"

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back