Safe-ish places to lock a bike in/around da city ? (1 Viewer)

Hey Gary, ta for that - I'm cycling into town from the Northside and then taking a train so I want to leave the bike as close to a DART station as possible - so I'd be commuting into town for now and eventually cycling it zll the way to Blackrock once I get fit enough to do 20 miles in one day. Leaving it ideally at Connolly or maybe even Clontarf Road. Not sure if there are any safe places round Connolly at all but that would suit me best. I have a couple of decent "D" locks (but apparently these can be sprayed with something that freezes the lock and then smashed with a hammer) and yeah, these can lower the risk of it being stolen. Will have to spray it black and cover over the gleaming silver finish (which looks shit anyway) to dull it down.

there is a bicycle lock up at Clontarf Road, although i couldn't use it the last time i was there because the guy at the ticket desk couldn't find the key! that was a few months ago, might be worth checking.

Hey Gary, ta for that - I'm cycling into town from the Northside and then taking a train so I want to leave the bike as close to a DART station as possible - so I'd be commuting into town for now and eventually cycling it zll the way to Blackrock once I get fit enough to do 20 miles in one day. Leaving it ideally at Connolly or maybe even Clontarf Road. Not sure if there are any safe places round Connolly at all but that would suit me best. I have a couple of decent "D" locks (but apparently these can be sprayed with something that freezes the lock and then smashed with a hammer) and yeah, these can lower the risk of it being stolen. Will have to spray it black and cover over the gleaming silver finish (which looks shit anyway) to dull it down.

You won't get fit enough to do 20 miles a day unless you start doing 20 miles a day.

Outside Tara St station's always been pretty safe for me. Always use two locks over long periods of time. I also sprayed my road bike frame a dull grey colour, it's still obviously a good bike but hopefully doesn't grab the attention of would be thieves as easily as bright red and white.

DART stations are notorious for getting wiped out in one go. Try not to lock up too close. The problem is,the thief sees the same bikes there everyday. He can then size up what cutting tools he needs and can come back prepared,and with a van. Try to change where you leave the bike as much as possible.
Also,when using multiple locks have them as different as possible. Even down to the type of key. You want the thief to have to work as hard as possible if he really wants your bike. The longer it takes the less chance he'll take. I think the average bike theft is supposed to take less than 3 or 4 minutes.

I've heard more stories of bikes getting taken from outside Garda stations than would be believed.

There should be a manned building in town or something where you could leave your bike. I'd pay a small fee if I knew my bike wasn't going to be pinched. Everytime I cycle in to town I can't relax as I'm walking around fretting about it.

There should be a manned building in town or something where you could leave your bike. I'd pay a small fee if I knew my bike wasn't going to be pinched. Everytime I cycle in to town I can't relax as I'm walking around fretting about it.

Funny you should say that.
I had lunch on Fade St yesterday and parked the car in the car park around the corner. There's a spot there for motorbikes where people are locking their rothars.
There's a window from the office directly across.

Yeah as others have said: definitely lock it with 2 locks, and lock it near others if possible.

lockyourbikehowtolockdiagra.gif

Lock it somewhere where there's generally foot traffic, even late into the evening / night. Near groups of drunk people flowing out of nightclubs is no good though.

The exception to the "lock it where people will be" rule is O'Connel st - if you lock it on the central reservation people on either side are too far away to notice when someone is up to shit. The only time I've had a bike stolen (with the exception to my flatmate's a few weeks ago, which I put down to it's shitty lock) was in the central reseravtion in O'Connel St. I reported it to the garda station on O'Connel St. - thinking that there must be cctv of the guy who did it, but never heard anything back.

I'm sure if you tell us what part of town you want to lock it in, someone can offer you a suggestion.

http://www.sfbike.org/?theft_locking

I reckon there's a lot of bikes that go this way:
Here's a sports centre just off Cork St.:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Someone had another go at my bike yesterday out in howth. Bright sunday afternoon and right down by the harbour. Girlfriend was with me so we had the locks doubled up and all. 3 locks in total and they still had a go in the middle of the day.

if the u-lock hadn't been locked in such a way that the lock was facing downwards they might have got it off. gas thing though was that my girlfriend's cable lock was already broken so she just had it loosly tied around the bikes. Despite battering that one up too they still didn't get that one off :p

what kind of spray paint should I use to blacken the frame out? i'm not going to have to sand it or anything first am I?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back