Safe-ish places to lock a bike in/around da city ? (2 Viewers)

cyclotron

Since 2000
...so is this just a pipe-dream or is there any place on town where I can lock a bike (I'll even pay for the damn privilege) in RELATIVE safely without it being kicked/beaten/smashed/raped/purloined by Dubbelin's bike-orcs ?

outside pearse st/store st garda stations,if someone can rob a bike there and get away with it i reckon they earned it!and seriously i always used to park up there with no problems.

That works.

Or out on that central island on Dame St facing Starbucks. Gets very little foot traffic.
Or on the road side of that rail facing Rick's burgers. I've never had trouble there.

Tell me this people, is there an echelon of Dublin society with an embarrassment of bikes? It doesn't seem to matter where you live; bike theft seems to be rampant. SO WHERE THE FUCK ARE THEY GOING? Are there chisslers somewhere with a bike for every day of the week and one for nights out too?

I'm still sore over mine being swiped. Gah.

I reckon people must sell them for scrap metal. Most stolen bikes couldn't possibly be resold as most bicycles are utter pieces of shit.

I walked down the canal from North Strand to Ballybough this morning, and only saw 2 or 3 bikes in the water, so they're not going there contrary to popular belief.

Then there's a lady called "Eileen the Fence" in Dublin who I read about here, though I don't know much else about her.

Also, there are proper bike thieves, who'll case your gaff and all, if they know you've got fancy bikes. By which I mean, 3 or 4 bike that cost over €1000. I don't know what they do with these bikes, as they could only resell them to people that know about bikes, who could tell therefore if a bike was robbed or not. Maybe they dismantle them and sell the components.

The wierdest thing is, no one I've ever talked to has ever had the slightest inkling as to who the mysterious bike thieves of the world are.

I was sorry to hear about your bike misfortune kirsty.

To answer the original question, I would say park beside a nicer bike than yours, but with an inferior bike lock to yours.

Why do you need to lock your bike in town? Is it all day while at work? In the evening on a night out? Or just nipping in to pick up a few bits and bobs?
Also,I reckon a lot of bikes are stolen for the hell of it. Just because it was easy. I've seen a lot of clearly stolen bikes around,being ridden by people who have no reason to be on such a bike. Pulling skids and wheelies on road bikes,one wheel way too small,brakes disconnected etc and the bike is something really nice. I reckon they get stolen,ridden into the ground and then tyhey steal another.
Buy some(note plural) really good,probably heavy locks and leave the bike in clear view of as many people as possibe.Dull down the look of the bike as well. It'll probably still eventually get stolen,but just try to put it off as long as possible

In my experience,most people buy shitty locks.

I've cycled in Dublin for years. Never had a bike stolen or damaged. Simple. Lock it properly so it's stable, locks through both wheels, one lock for each. Lock it beside other bikes. They'll only have one lock and some will just be locked through the frame. So when Fitzy the knacker comes along and scans the bikes, he'll go for the one that's got one lock or lying flat because the lock's through the frame.

I've cycled in Dublin for years. Never had a bike stolen or damaged. Simple. Lock it properly so it's stable, locks through both wheels, one lock for each. Lock it beside other bikes. They'll only have one lock and some will just be locked through the frame. So when Fitzy the knacker comes along and scans the bikes, he'll go for the one that's got one lock or lying flat because the lock's through the frame.

I lock my bike like that every time.
Some knacker had a go anyway with a hammer the other week. He was not successful but he did knock a few lumps out of my beautiful rothar.

It's how you lock it and where you lock it.

Why do you need to lock your bike in town? Is it all day while at work? In the evening on a night out? Or just nipping in to pick up a few bits and bobs?

Buy some(note plural) really good,probably heavy locks and leave the bike in clear view of as many people as possibe.Dull down the look of the bike as well. It'll probably still eventually get stolen,but just try to put it off as long as possible

Hey Gary, ta for that - I'm cycling into town from the Northside and then taking a train so I want to leave the bike as close to a DART station as possible - so I'd be commuting into town for now and eventually cycling it zll the way to Blackrock once I get fit enough to do 20 miles in one day. Leaving it ideally at Connolly or maybe even Clontarf Road. Not sure if there are any safe places round Connolly at all but that would suit me best. I have a couple of decent "D" locks (but apparently these can be sprayed with something that freezes the lock and then smashed with a hammer) and yeah, these can lower the risk of it being stolen. Will have to spray it black and cover over the gleaming silver finish (which looks shit anyway) to dull it down.

Good stuff. You lock in the same area all the time ?

Just drive into town and lock your bike in the boot of the car.

Yeah, maybe I should just learn to drive and stop using these stupid upper legs of mine. Driving in Dublin is seemingly inevitable but I'm still trying to stave it off for a little while longer...

I lock my bike like that every time.
Some knacker had a go anyway with a hammer the other week. He was not successful but he did knock a few lumps out of my beautiful rothar.

It's how you lock it and where you lock it.

Hmmm...my cousin's a black belt in karate, maybe I should lock it to him...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back