Red Lentils (1 Viewer)

I bought a bag of them a few days ago but am at a loss as to how to deal with them.

Was thinking along the lines of just cooking them up with some sausages in a kind of thick tasty gruel-ish recipe.

Any other suggestions?

i make soup with red lentils - either a sort of indian-spiced broth with peppers and onions (spiced crispy fried onions sprinkled over the top, nyom nyom) or with coconut milk, veg, and thai spices. i think the red split chaps might be a bit sludgey on their own - i'd use puy lentils for lentils'n'sossies.

i make soup with red lentils - either a sort of indian-spiced broth with peppers and onions (spiced crispy fried onions sprinkled over the top, nyom nyom) or with coconut milk, veg, and thai spices. i think the red split chaps might be a bit sludgey on their own - i'd use puy lentils for lentils'n'sossies.

Oooh sounds lovely. Yeah, I have heard red lentils go mushy easily and are best for soups. Couldn't find Puy lentils so I chose these instead. Thanks Minka :)

okay, one of my favourite soup recipes came off the back off a stock packet.

100g red lentils
2 carrots
1 onion
2tsp cumin
1litre of stock (two cubes dissolved in a litre of water

*fry off your chopped onion and carrots until soft.

*add cumin

*add stock, then 100g red split lentils twenty mins or until lentils are cooked.

*whizz the lot in a blender.

If you're feeling fancy, serve in nice bowls with a blob of natural yoghurt and a bit of chopped coriander.

Hope someone tries this one, it's so cheap and really warming.
I was only telling someone today how much I preferred this recipe to any of the cully and scully soups...

I'm mad into the Spanish style lentil stew. Similar enough to high fidelity's recipe, but totally different.

Lentils (good load)
1 tomato, peeled, seeded, chopped (half a tin of chopped tomatoes will do)
1 garlic clove crushed
1 onion chopped
1 glass of red wine
1 cup of hot water/stock
Chorizo thinly chopped
Salt, pepper
2 bay leaves
Mixed herbs

Chop the onions, crush the garlic and fry until soft and slightly brown in a good load of olive oil (at least 2 tablespoons). Add the chopped tomatoes and slowly cook for 10 minutes. In the meantime, throw in a load of lentils, add the wine, salt & pepper (a good load), bay leaves and herbs and bring to the boil and immediately simmer if red lentils (and pretty soon after, you should be adding the onions and tomatoes to stop it turning to mulch), or boil for a further 10 mins if green lentils. Add in the onions and tomatoes, stir around and let it simmer for a while. Towards the end get a chunk of chorizo, remove the skin, slice it in half down the middle and chop in thin slices then throw it in to the lentils. I'd say 15 minutes for red lentils, 30-40 for green.

I usually turn it off altogether (before adding the chorizo) and let it cool so the flavours intensify. If I make loads, I'll take what I want into another pan and slowly heat it with the chorizo - I've found leaving the chorizo in causes a bitter taste.

This recipe is way better with puy lentils. It's dead easy to make. Brilliant with duck and a Keith Floyd of wine.

sweet potato goes really well with a red lentil curry. tinned tomatoes, onions, garlic, peppers, courgettes, maybe chickpeas. lovely with rice, cous cous or in a pitta for your lunch the next day.

My favourite use for red lentils:

Lentil Nut Roast
============
120g Red Lentils
120g Hazelnuts
120g Walnuts
1 large carrot
2 sticks of celery
1 large onion
100g mushrooms
2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp tomato puree
2 tsp curry powder
150 ml water
25g each oil and butter
1 large egg
parsley

Soak lentils in cold water for an hour. Finely chop and fry (in the butter/oil) the carrot, celery, onion, mushroom. Add curry powder and allow to cool a bit while the lentils soak. Mix in the (strained) soaked lentils, nuts, veg, sauces, water, parsley and season. Throw the whole lot into a loaf tin and bake for 60-75 mins @ 190c. You will need to cover the top with some tinfoil for about half the cooking time to avoid it burning on the top. Turn out, slice* and eat

(* I have had varying results with the sliceability of this - sometimes it crumbles, but the resulting mush is just as nice - try experimenting with More recently I have baked it in muffin tins, producing big muffin balls of nut roast. Either way, it's delicious)

okay, one of my favourite soup recipes came off the back off a stock packet.

100g red lentils
2 carrots
1 onion
2tsp cumin
1litre of stock (two cubes dissolved in a litre of water

*fry off your chopped onion and carrots until soft.

*add cumin

*add stock, then 100g red split lentils twenty mins or until lentils are cooked.

*whizz the lot in a blender.

If you're feeling fancy, serve in nice bowls with a blob of natural yoghurt and a bit of chopped coriander.

Hope someone tries this one, it's so cheap and really warming.
I was only telling someone today how much I preferred this recipe to any of the cully and scully soups...

you reckon not adding the onion would make a huge difference to the taste because there are so few ingredients? i try to avoid them as much as possible, they give me heartburn :(

My favourite use for red lentils:

Lentil Nut Roast
============
120g Red Lentils
120g Hazelnuts
120g Walnuts
1 large carrot
2 sticks of celery
1 large onion
100g mushrooms
2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp tomato puree
2 tsp curry powder
150 ml water
25g each oil and butter
1 large egg
parsley
Yay! this was great. i highly recommend it. next time i make it i'll prob fry the onions in a bitta oil, cumin n lemon first and maybe add breadcrumbs. I reckon this would be great for a veggie option at Christmas.

long live red lentils!

carrot and red lentil soup is nice too,
fry red onion, (can add curry powder early on for spicyness) a spoon of sun dried tomato paste. half bag of red lentils, 3 decent carrots grated, 1 1/2 litre of veg stock, blend. nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back