• Replies 13
  • Views 989
  • Watchers 1

egg_

nerd/hippy
Supporter
Since 1999
Where dogs wear hats and birds fly backwards
I'm at the age when a few people in my circle have had to deal with long-term illness, and as as result I've gotten nervous and am campaigning to get better long-term illness cover in work

ATM Irish staff get 9 days sick leave, then you're on social welfare. The yanks, by contrast, get 66% of their salary for 6 months, and 60% thereafter. The HR director wants me to supply evidence that the Irish market normally provides better cover than what they currently give us

I realise I'm speaking from a position of privilege here - well-paid tech job, and I actually get some kinda of paid sick leave - but anyway those of ye who are working in tech please DM me if you know what your short/long term illness benefits are

(this includes you @pete especially if you're subscribing to any kind of union-backed income protection thing)

where i work - large multinational:
max 6 months full basic pay (less social welfare entitlements) in any 12 month period, for certified leave. after the six months, that drops to half pay.

In my job if i'm not ill I don't get paid because i'm long term ill.

I honestly think the short answer here is bump up your health insurance to cover you because the bit where you say

then you're on social welfare.

Is the bit where i remind people that disability is poverty in Ireland. If International tech company throw you out the proverbial window that will be your bread and butter if you have a long term illness. If it's a concern to you there are three options

Overhaul current employers national policy (accountants will adore you)
Get some health insurance that covers a long term illness situation
Overhaul current governments disability policy for successive budgets until death

One of these is easy.

*I'm interchanging disability and long term illness because in terms of state cover they are very similar

I honestly think the short answer here is bump up your health insurance to cover you
I'm in the process of doing that, but it costs a lot - 3k/year for 50k/year income protection insurance.

For me at least there's a 4th option - convince my employers that Irish tech employers typically offer much better short/long term illness benefits than they do, and that they ought to follow suit

I'm in the process of doing that, but it costs a lot - 3k/year for 50k/year income protection insurance.

For me at least there's a 4th option - convince my employers that Irish tech employers typically offer much better short/long term illness benefits than they do, and that they ought to follow suit

That was the first option of the three in the list.

where i work - large multinational:
max 6 months full basic pay (less social welfare entitlements) in any 12 month period, for certified leave. after the six months, that drops to half pay.
similar here

first 6 months on full pay, but at company discretion.

the next 6 months at 2/3 pay, also at company discretion.

Civil service stuff here.

Sick leave in the civil service - NSSO

Certified

A maximum of 92 days on full pay in a rolling one-year period
Followed by a maximum of 91 days on half pay in a rolling one-year period
Subject to a maximum of 183 days paid sick leave in a rolling four-year period

Critical illness or serious injury can be taken into account and those periods increase.

Uncertified

7 days in a rolling 24 months.
Can only be 2 days in a row.

I pay into some scheme that would help me out if i went unpaid.

I have Personal Liability insurance through the union.then I looked at personal injury insurance. i probably could have done with it this year, but it would have been 30% of my income, and that was never feasible in the first place.

There's govt things, but since I always thought "there's work tomorrow", I didn't take advantage. Zero hour contract kids!

Until recently enough I worked for a part of revenue that mainly dealt with employers and anecdotally I can’t think of any of the big tech companies (or pharmaceutical etc) that don’t offer paid illness leave for their staff. Honestly can’t think of 1 and I’ve dealt with hundreds over the years.

I am labeled as ill in the head and I get 220 Euro per week plus other benefits for doing no work.
I am very happy with this since the mid 2000's (before that the money wasn't great and I didn't have broadband internet).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back