RAG Party this Sat 10th Nov (1 Viewer)

on social construction though, i reckon what we think has to play a role along with how our brains actually work. our language, history, traditions, economy, religion, etc, etc, etc. all mediate how our bodies perceive and experience the world. i think that while biological gender differences are very relevant and that they must have some influence over what we do and how we behave, there are often big logical jumps made. science has a great history of explaining things away (that includes the social sciences).

surely the point of science is to give us a snapshot of where our understanding on these issues is at a certain place in time, most scientific experiment is based around trying to disprove what has gone before it. But surely the basis of science and therein social science and the findings of such give us a far more logical understanding of things than simple philosophical pondering.

I agree that environment and religion and millions of other factors make people who they are but there are basic hormonal and neurological differences between the sexes make ups. people seem to freak out at the concept of this, that difference somehow means better or worse but it doesn't.

How we are as humans is a physical fact.
How we treat each other in regards to this fact is something taught from word go.
pink = girly = weak
blue = boy =strong
and don't get caught on the wrong side of that line son.
Same as racism, homophobia etc. gender is bullshit. you're still only seeing what's outside.

This has been really interesting reading.
Oh and while I'm at it:
wispa's wha?

And I'd love to be at the dinner table in the Sheehan's house, must be some mad debates going on.

And tom talking about being self employed and tax returns in the kopi whilst I think is punk as fuck, I'm not sure if all the german fucked for lifers would aggree.

Oh and I :heart: rag

pink = girly = weak
blue = boy =strong

how do we explain the use of pink in male fashion and the use of the colour blue to represent menstruation on TV?

00002v.jpg

pink = girly = weak
blue = boy =strong

[quote from here]
the Ladies Home Journal of June 1918 is cited therein asserting that "pink [is] a more decided and stronger color [and] more suitable for the boy," while "blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is pertier for the girl."[/quote]

Red is a colour associated with power, and historically women wouldn't have been allowed to wear it, for that reason. Blue was always associated with women. That only changed relatively recently.

Jesus lads it's not about the fucking colours it's about the way we are trained to act and treat each other (the colours were only an example of how people condition our young to act a certain way cos they do or don't have a micky).

Oh yeah, Señor Dial. We're all like zombie insects, reacting to the environment in clear, discrete blocks of mechanical thought which we associate with which set of genitals we own. Yaaaaaaaah RIGHT LOIKE!

Jesus lads it's not about the fucking colours it's about the way we are trained to act and treat each other (the colours were only an example of how people condition our young to act a certain way cos they do or don't have a micky).

my point is that the "rules of training" change. how, where, why and over what period of time... etc.

So Oly, ed being made feel a fool cos he's molested is a purely physical reaction from his co-workers?

So ed being made feel a fool cos he's molested is a purely physical reaction from his co-workers?

attempted molestation boss !ninjaaaa (can't really get in logistics with confidentiality and such work crap!)

but basically in the same scenario with male co-workers it would probably have been the same reaction....so essentially my feeling on the matter would be the majority of people both men and women are fuckers who don't give two shits what happens past the end of their nose

Señor, I'm not discounting the role of society in creating gender role expectations. Obviously it's not a common occurrence for a woman to attempt to molest a man. Do you blame society for making her think it was ok to do that to our spuded?

No but I blame society for is expectations that spud should be able to deal with a situation whilst a women no matter how much bigger and stronger than poor wee spud would have been treated very differently....

No but I blame society for is expectations that spud should be able to deal with a situation whilst a women no matter how much bigger and stronger than poor wee spud would have been treated very differently....

i however just blame people for being fuckers :p

anyway on a lighter note

Santas warned 'ho ho ho' offensive to women

Wed Nov 14, 11:04 PM ET

SYDNEY (AFP) - Santas in Australia's largest city have been told not to use Father Christmas's traditional "ho ho ho" greeting because it may be offensive to women, it was reported Thursday.

Sydney's Santa Clauses have instead been instructed to say "ha ha ha" instead, the Daily Telegraph reported.
One disgruntled Santa told the newspaper a recruitment firm warned him not to use "ho ho ho" because it could frighten children and was too close to "ho", a US slang term for prostitute.
"Gimme a break," said Julie Gale, who runs the campaign against sexualising children called Kids Free 2B Kids.
"We are talking about little kids who do not understand that "ho, ho, ho" has any other connotation and nor should they," she told the Telegraph.
"Leave Santa alone."
A local spokesman for the US-based Westaff recruitment firm said it was "misleading" to say the company had banned Santa's traditional greeting and it was being left up to the discretion of the individual Santa himself.

Dialster said:
I can agree with you there.
But I've got an ace up my sleeve.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7095134.stm

Read it and weep.
A man caught trying to have sex with his bicycle has been sentenced to three years on probation.
What the fuck did society do to this fella to make him do what he did?

HOHOHO! Does the Irish Santy go around saying Hoo-wer, Hoo-wer, Hoo-wer?

I can agree with you there.
But I've got an ace up my sleeve.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7095134.stm
Read it and weep.

What the fuck did society do to this fella to make him do what he did?
Firstly I was going to say no but now I'm thinking maybe he's just expressing his how uncomfortable he is with the stereotypes soceity has created to which we feel we must conform to or be chastised.
(oh my catholic up bringing colouring my language there)
and sure I'm sure you'll have a much more interesting reply to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back