Question for the songwriters (1 Viewer)

Originally posted by Serpico
Something that has always been a bit of a problem for me and Im wondering has anyone got a tried and trusted policy on it. Basically, you write a song and you like it. You leave it for a bit and when you come back you change some of the lyrics and you think its better. Then you go back and realise the first ones were better. Then you go to play or record a definitive version and cant decide between the two. Discuss.
Im wondering is there any examples of bands that have recorded exactly the same music with two or three different sets of lyrics. Kind of like the Jamaican tradition of using the same backing track for a few different hits only in modern popular music.
Just wonderin...:eek:

In response to your original questions I like to use the same chord progressions or riffs to create 3 different songs sometimes. Its really good practice for your songwriting mind to try to come up with completely different vocal tunes and beats using the same riffs etc. I read this book with interviews of John Lennon and Gearge Harrison, and they both said the more you practice this kind of thing, the easier it becomes to enable vocals to dramatically change direction and become even catchier. You will also find it easier to change key while singing. Actually, sing all of the time. Sing along to any Gearge Harrison song and you'll start to understand the way he works. Also listen to 'Tomorrow never knows' from Revolver. Thats John using the same method.

Re: Re: Re: Question for the songwriters

Originally posted by Beanstalk
I thought 'Tomorrow never knows' has only one chord throughout?

I wasn't saying that. I was saying he tried around 3 completely different vocals over the music. The one he picked was the one which he thought best.

Speaking of the Beatles, here's some good news, they found stolen Beatles tapes from the 1970's, with unheard tunes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/2646921.stm

Actually, now they'll have to redo the Anthology stuff, and re-release it at 35.99 yoyo. I hate the way that kinda stuff is so expensive. Like 'The Wall', I have a dodgy copy of it, and have been meaning to by it for the last 3 years, but everytime I see the price tag I get miffed. Ditto for 'The White Album'

Repetition can lead to genius. Take Wesley Willis for example. He has about 20 albums out, almost always using the same dodgy keyboard backing track. But does it hinder his creativity? Hell, no - check out Rock n' Roll McDonalds or I Wupped Batman's Ass (both on Wesley Willis' Greatest Hits Vol. 2, if I recall correctly), and shudder with, um, awe.

Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius. Repetition can lead to genius.

Originally posted by Knacker
Here... "Hector"... did you get those lyrics from Paul O'Reilly's album?

shall i just ignore you? i mean, this could get messy.

Originally posted by ludwig_zwei
It only works if you're cool.

Actually, was looking at the at site the other day, seemingly Wesley has cancer :(

Rock over London
Rock on Chicago
Shell, it's the world's best-selling gasoline

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back