Poor young guy murdered a few doors away from me (1 Viewer)

It's also not so much a matter of recorded crimes, it's other aspects of the atmosphere of a city or area of a city. I mean, someone telling you they're gonna bate you would not be recorded as a crime (even though technically it is, the gardai barely turn up as it is, and certainly wouldn't respond to a report of a threat). A sense of ill-content or impending violence can make a place feel dangerous and thus probably increase the risks of actual violence taking place.

So a city might have a really low crime rate, but also have a general vibe of random violence, and make it feel like you're more likely to get a kicking. Not that I think gang crime is an acceptable risk or whatever, but it's at least somewhat avoidable for those who are not in gangs.

Random violence -- even as a threat -- is much scarier because you can't really control for it. It's not about you or how you provoked someone: they were out for blood anyway. I'm still freaked half the time by the two times in recent years that I was attacked, and it doesn't take much -- only a tiny threat of danger -- to send me into a blind panic, even though I was really only injured in one of them, and even then it could have been much, much worse.

I imagine that one random attack would be a much larger contributor to the sense of danger than, say, a domestic attack -- which, let's not forget, is where the risk of violence is greatest for women and children. Women are more likely the be victims of violence, but men are more likely to be on the receiving end of a violent assault in the street. I dunno where I read that. I'm probably fudging it a bit.

Probably Manhattan has a higher crime rate overall, but it certainly doesn't feel anywhere near as scary as O'Connell Street on a good day.

Our subjective experiences of feeling safe/unsafe in places should be taken into account along with official stats. I wonder who/where has done research on the way that the perception of danger/safety contributes to actual crime rates? I'm sure it's been done.

I'm not so sure about that. Up to 3 or 4 years ago, according to the stats, both Cork and Galway had more violent crime than Limerick.

Limerick has shot ahead in the stats in recent years, but again if you take the gang stuff out I'd say Cork would be ahead.

I kind of fits with my impression of nights out in Limerick, Dublin and Cork. There is a air of menace around Patrick St. & Oliver Plunkett St. at night I don't see in Limerick at all.

yes.

always found Limerick pretty cool, s'pose most of the shit happens on the estates

holy crap, that was a bit of an eye opener, knew Dublin west was bad, but to that extent!
i'd love to know what the stats are for crimes solved are. last year we contacted the gards 3 times over things, first time i gave them the name and address of the guy involved (the officer involved had him down as the prime suspect before i gave the details so it wasn't anything they didn't already know), the next day his superior officer contacted me to say there was nothing they could do, couldn't even question him, but if my family wanted to "sort him out", they wouldnt get involved, said they guy was going to get a beating soon enough, might as well be for me. :mad:
also, a few months ago my sister was getting the most horrific calls (always on private number), the guy knew when she was alone, knew the ages of her kids etc, he liked to go into great detail about what he was going to do to my 2 yr old niece (generally sexually explicit things). she nearly lost her new born son just before this happened (because there was no spare hospital beds his condition had to deteriorate to a level that he would be dead in about two days before getting into ICU, so for days and days we had to watch him get worse, the man on the phone knew this too and made jokes about it) so her nerves were pretty frayed already.
my sister reported it to gards , they said they couldn't do anything. the guy got tired of her hanging up so started txting her. my sister gave the gards her phone with the txts and number in it, she got a call a few weeks later saying there was still nothing they could do.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

still makes me angry everytime i think about it.

Patrick's St and Oliver Plunkett St can be dodgy at night, definitely. Lots of dangerous drunks and fights etc.
But I'd find somewhere like O'Connell St more dangerous, I avoid it like the plague at night.

have to agree about O'Connell Street - It's littered with groups of young fellas, the type who you don't know if they will start on you or are just generally saps hanging around.

a friend of mine told me that the media in Cork do a great job of not reporting on incidents in the city to avoid bad publicity.

i can't say i have ever felt unsafe in Cork, but I grew up there and no where to go and not go.
Pubs and clubs are rarely on the North Side so there is no reason to go into that area.
Patrick Street also has very little on it except the Savoy and some taxi ranks. Unless you are walking towards the North Side there is very little need to walk on it at night.

is this a wind up... did mick mulcahy get you to write that or something?

i didnt end that sentence -

the pubs and clubs that i frequent are rarely on the north side!

but to be honest the pubs in the north side of the city are to the best of knowledge local pubs. the city center in cork has pretty much no population, hence the pubs have only travelling clientele. the pubs in the northside have communities beside them and therefore attract punters from the area. hence why you rarely get people going up the northside to a pub bar mccurtain street.

never seen a fight in cork city during the daytime all my life, not even in the summer when every street drinker in ireland and glasgow seems to immigrate there

anyway, most cities are grand, it's all the medium sized towns in the midlands where you're gonna get gay-bashed and accused of frakeisms

Where exactly would be menacing?
Mainly patrick street or the area around north main st/cornmarket st, depends on the number of eyeballing tracksuits. I'm from macroom, used to come in to get records every weekend when i was younger and getting started on or shouted at by tracksuits just about anywhere was a pretty regular occurence.
never seen a fight in cork city during the daytime all my life
Seen an auld fella get his head bashed repeatedly into the kerb on barrack st, seen two norries (do people still call 'em norries?) beat up a metaller in the peace park, seen two girls tearing each other's hair out in front of cash converters, all during the day in the two weeks i lived in the city, summer of 2004.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back