Pissed off with the budget? Join the students. UCD - 20/11/08 (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Vin
  • Start date
  • Replies 76
  • Views 8K
  • Watchers 4
Also I know FF couldn't do much about the credit crunch and but it didn't help them wasting that massive surplus we had to buy the last election.
I detest FG though.
What I hate about politics in this country is the way some seats never ever change hands, especially in rural areas, it's so tribal, I also think families should'nt be allowed to stand for seats that previous members of their family have had.

I know people who had an extension done last year. They got Irish builders, the work got done on time, the price was a little over what was estimated at the beginning but included loads of extra stuff. The only downside was having to go to the plasterer's first album launch. So, Cormac, your main point seems to be that the English are racist cunts? On the whole, I'd agree.

And no, not sure I know any builders in Dublin really, the only one I know in Cork is now pushing trolleys, but it was a ridiculously inflated market with only the developers winning.

I was told about a scam that they have with each other. Roughly speaking, they all sell each other properties every so often, pushing the price up each time and often forcing out the smaller competition. As all the properties are of equivalent prices each time, nothing really changes hands, but fictitious money is made up each time. Our "bust" is just this kind of shit returning to something like the real world.

I think the whole idea of being means tested for grants according to how much your parents earn is a load of bollix. Once your living on yer own and your over 18, they shouldn't come into it at all, unless they're paying your rent or giving you alot of money. Just because your parents are rich doesn't mean you are.

As for the general relationship between the government and the rich...
well they're not about to bite the hand that feeds, if they can help it, are they?

I think the whole idea of being means tested for grants according to how much your parents earn is a load of bollix. Once your living on yer own and your over 18, they shouldn't come into it at all, unless they're paying your rent or giving you alot of money. Just because your parents are rich doesn't mean you are.

This is true, for people who become genuinely independent and have moved out of the house etc etc.
There's still going to be loads of people getting money off their parents and whatever after they're 18 though. It would probably be a better idea to change the way the means testing crap takes place, to try and give everyone a fair deal, but that ain't gonna happen anyway.
I was in the same situation when I was 18 and going to university. I was living at home, but I wasn't getting any money off my parents (who don't have money to throw at me) so I had to get a part time job and try and do uni work at the same time. But because my parents' income was in whatever bracket, I wasn't going to get any breaks. The means testing didn't take into account the fact that my parents raised 6 kids, so despite the fact they had decent enough jobs and were living comfortable enough, it wasn't like they had spare cash lying around to put in our pockets.

The more mixed messages we send to the government, the quicker they'll fall.

BURN THE RICH
SMASH MEANS TESTING

BATTER THE BOURGEOISE
FREE MEDICAL CARE FOR RICH PENSIONERS

CLASS WAR
MORE CREDIT CARDS FOR THE TRAVELING PUNX

FUCK FOX NEWS
ADD ME ON MYSPACE

FUCK FIANNA FAIL
LISTEN TO US COWEN!!!!

we reject everything you stand for
give us money

we hate the rich
we like money

students are spoilt wankers
more later, i have coursework to finish

a whimsical observation no doubt, but the protests yesterday as pictured in the papers today:

the Pensioners like incredibly angry, and there's a couple of photos that look like a minister is going to get lamped by a granny. they're like a grey haired Baader Meinhoff waiting to happen. going on the pics, you don't wanna fuck with them.

the students on the other hand, look like they're at a Macnas parade at Galway Arts Week.

old folks 1, young folks nil

One of the OAP's interviewed (very very briefly) on the news last night was my next door neighbour.

I haven't seen her in about two years and she used to scare the shit out of us as childers. FACT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back