Pissed off with the budget? Join the students. UCD - 20/11/08 (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Vin
  • Start date
  • Replies 76
  • Views 8K
  • Watchers 4
So they're having a march for free education then?
Sure they only lost that fight about 10 years ago. Maybe if they'd kicked up a big enough stink then they wouldn't be looking at €1500 per year now.
Sure most of the students probably don't give a shit cause their ma and da are paying it for them anyway.

Most of the students organising this march were 8 and 9 when you say the students "lost (the) fight" for free education. You can't blame them.

The last mass student militancy was around 2002/3 when the government tried to bring in fees again. Ministers and motorways got blocked, students caused a "big enough stink" and they won.

The €1,500 increase in student registration is only the start. The government wants to bring in full fees again either on a threshold basis (that will get lower and lower) or on a loan system, crippling students in debt before they even leave college.

Students aren't going to let this happen. !ninjaaaa

As for raising education by €550, unfortunately most people who don't get a grant and don't get money off their parents can't afford to go to university anyway, whether the fees are €950 or €1500.

yeah agreed. there's always the back to school thing for over 23's. if people are really adamant on studying and are totally broke, they'll be able to find a way.

dermot desmonds , bono s, denis o briens,chris de burghs kids deserve free third level education , and when dermo,bonehead ,dennyboy and cuntbag get over 70 ,free medical cards too!! god bless them one and all!!

i think i'll go in this blockade... just so i might get the chance to break one of their faces, a minister or a student or whoever

YES! That's the spirit. Need to be supplementing your dole through mugging students. And its at the Quinn business school, so thats handy for finding rich students.

Most of the students organising this march were 8 and 9 when you say the students "lost (the) fight" for free education. You can't blame them.

The last mass student militancy was around 2002/3 when the government tried to bring in fees again. Ministers and motorways got blocked, students caused a "big enough stink" and they won.

The €1,500 increase in student registration is only the start. The government wants to bring in full fees again either on a threshold basis (that will get lower and lower) or on a loan system, crippling students in debt before they even leave college.

Students aren't going to let this happen. !ninjaaaa

Brave words. I'll believe it when I see it. I'm not saying it won't happen, but I am pretty skeptical that there are enough students at the current time willing to actively resist this increase in the budget.
In 2000 I was on most of the marches etc. up North that were organised against student fees. But that's pretty much all they did, march. There were nowhere near enough people ready to actively disobey the fees, and not pay them.
That was when fees were just introduced at £1000 per year. Now fees up North are £3000 + per year, and when they are increased there's barely a whimper of discontent. Seems to me that once the students realised they were going to have to pay, it doesn't matter to them how badly they are getting ripped off when they know they are getting ripped off.

Of course the whole thing for me is utterly ridiculous. My brother, who is a year and a half older than me, went to university for free. But when I tried to go, all of a sudden I'd have to pay £1000 for it. Sound.

The grants got me through but they didn't cover registration which was about 700 yo's and went up a lot every year i was in college. They need to squeeze some money out of all the celtic leeches, people who have more than one gaff and allow cheap education for the younger people so we all have something to fall back on when the world is fucked and don't ending cleaning english people's gaffs again. That's all we have here, brains and cows, and the cows aren't looking the best

Brave words. I'll believe it when I see it. I'm not saying it won't happen, but I am pretty skeptical that there are enough students at the current time willing to actively resist this increase in the budget.
In 2000 I was on most of the marches etc. up North that were organised against student fees. But that's pretty much all they did, march. There were nowhere near enough people ready to actively disobey the fees, and not pay them.
That was when fees were just introduced at £1000 per year. Now fees up North are £3000 + per year, and when they are increased there's barely a whimper of discontent. Seems to me that once the students realised they were going to have to pay, it doesn't matter to them how badly they are getting ripped off when they know they are getting ripped off.

Of course the whole thing for me is utterly ridiculous. My brother, who is a year and a half older than me, went to university for free. But when I tried to go, all of a sudden I'd have to pay £1000 for it. Sound.

Cheezis, you're getting like an old man these days, whats up with ya atall?

The overwhelming majority of 3rd level students come from those areas of Dublin/Ireland with the highest income levels. That's fact. Some of these rich types really should be paying, IMHO. You could set the income bracket relatively high and still reign in a good few million from it without hitting middle-income families who miss out on grants cause they're slightly above the margins, or simply too honest about how much money they make.

Same goes for child benefit. EVERYONE is entitled to child benefit, no matter how much money/assets you have, which is pretty ludicrous, but going there would obviously be politically impossible. I'mn seriously considering giving it to charity if one day I somehow find myself in a relatively financially stable position in life.

Nobody with the ability and the will to excel in their studies will be unable to attend uni. Worst case scenario is waiting until they're 23.

Rich wasters who feel it's their human right to study their favourite Leaving Cert subject for three years while smoking it up and turning their Euro tokens into bottled beers can go and shite.

If you get less than a distinction you should be forced to pay back all grants and maybe even pay a fine for wasting everyone's time.

Fuck you, waster scum!

They should be fined so heavily after fucking up uni that they'll work too hard to have
children or at the very least be unable to raise them properly thus ensuring early, tragic deaths.
It's kinder than all out eugenics.

Hmm, yes, that would lead to conditions similar to all-out eugenics but without the bad nazi after-taste... interesting.

I'm glad I didn't get a job and wasted enough time so that I can go back to college for free, maybe I'll fuck it up again though, ha, that'd show me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back