Pissed off with the budget? Join the students. UCD - 20/11/08 (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Vin
  • Start date
  • Replies 76
  • Views 8K
  • Watchers 4
what do we want?
PANINIS!
when do we want them?
....oh...actually caoimhe brought some, it's ok. any chance of a latté?

Dublin City Council, being nice enough to give me any grant at all, pay my fees for me. This applies to anyone in receipt of a grant. Seems like it will mostly affect the rich little darlings to me.

Being the long term dole scum that I am, I'm going to be far richer in the coming 4 years than I've been since I dropped out of it all in 2001. Best of all, because there's a recession on, signing on for the summer'll be dead easy! And frankly, what with all the back to education, book grants, Millennium grants etc, I don't know what to do with the money. Those rich kids could do with 6 years out to cop the fuck on before they start Uni anyhow.

Fees are scary though. Would they be at all means-tested? There's no chance I could've gone to Uni in the UK, EVER, for precisely that reason.

As for squeezing money out of people with more than one gaff, I'm pretty fucking sure that I'll end up paying my landlord's E200 bill for the place I"m renting - they really didn't think that one through properly. Nor the over 70's medical card thing - it's against the law that they bloody made! Eedjits.

It seems to me that loads of the people I know got off pretty lightly - I don't know many red-wine drinking, fag-smoking over 70's with incomes, mostly I just know beer-swigging, rollie-and-cheap-import-fag-smoking dole scum and students. I'm finding hard to ignore the rhetoric and see the real result of the budget, but it'll come in time, I guess. One recurring thought is that this might be a far too drastic budget for a financial meltdown that is ultimately, in this country, a media invention.

I couldn't help but be reminded of a UK budget about 10 years ago when all duties were put up, apart from on cigars, brandy and petrol, which just happened to be the vices most enjoyed by the Exchequer at the time.

Very simply:

Tax the rich more?

Isn't that what they're doing?
Making the students with rich families pay more fees?
And making rich pensioners pay more medical bills?
And yet you're protesting that the rich should pay more when they clearly got
kicked in the bollocks??

What's your alternative budget when third level education and health are two of the biggest
contributors to the exchequer's spending while taking into account a €9bn deficit?
I'm no fan of FF, but I couldn't see any other kind of budget working, to be honest.
The opposition and the media have turned the medical card policy into a shit storm.
It earns the parties credibility and it sells papers.

If you can afford it - you pay. If you can't - you don't.
That's as fair a government policy as you could get.
If you don't like it - SIGN ON!

NO TAX FOR THE PUNX!

. One recurring thought is that this might be a far too drastic budget for a financial meltdown that is ultimately, in this country, a media invention.

????????????????????explain!!!!!!!please!

Isn't that what they're doing?
Making the students with rich families pay more fees?
And making rich pensioners pay more medical bills?
And yet you're protesting that the rich should pay more when they clearly got
kicked in the bollocks??

What's your alternative budget when third level education and health are two of the biggest
contributors to the exchequer's spending while taking into account a €9bn deficit?
I'm no fan of FF, but I couldn't see any other kind of budget working, to be honest.
The opposition and the media have turned the medical card policy into a shit storm.
It earns the parties credibility and it sells papers.

If you can afford it - you pay. If you can't - you don't.
That's as fair a government policy as you could get.
If you don't like it - SIGN ON!

NO TAX FOR THE PUNX!

"You", singular or plural?

I love reading your old posts about being independent and not living at home with your parents. Deliciously ironic.

I also love how everyone thinks the dole is going to remain at its current rate and as easily accessible.

Hey man, my old posts are classic!
There's 6,198 of them so far, all of them sugar coated with pure sense!

edit: I'm not on the dole though, never signed on in Ireland.
I'm a self-employed, legitimate, taxpaying businessman.
Guess I'm outta the club...

. One recurring thought is that this might be a far too drastic budget for a financial meltdown that is ultimately, in this country, a media invention.

????????????????????explain!!!!!!!please!

The finanical meltdown, as we seem to be obliged to call it, is hitting other places far worse than here; the quick fix of covering all bank deposits has sent money into Ireland's banks, much to the chagrin of the EU and all those who didn't think of it first. For a whole load of hot air from the media, Ireland doesn't seem to be suffering too badly. Apart from all those people who just lost their medical cards.

I've just heard an auld fella I know in Cork lost his card, even though you'd be hard pushed to consider him and his wife well off. The bar's been set so low that anyone with any kind of work's pension loses their medical card.

The finanical meltdown, as we seem to be obliged to call it, is hitting other places far worse than here; the quick fix of covering all bank deposits has sent money into Ireland's banks, much to the chagrin of the EU and all those who didn't think of it first. For a whole load of hot air from the media, Ireland doesn't seem to be suffering too badly. Apart from all those people who just lost their medical cards.

I've just heard an auld fella I know in Cork lost his card, even though you'd be hard pushed to consider him and his wife well off. The bar's been set so low that anyone with any kind of work's pension loses their medical card.

You obviously know very few people in the construction industry. Builders not developers.

I've just heard an auld fella I know in Cork lost his card,

but i thought the budget doesnt come to effect for a while?
like oli said, its people who have the money that will be paying. the people who genuinely aren't in a financial position to afford medical care will still get a medical card.
i think if people find themselves in a situation thats they're fucked , then they can also apply for an emercency med card. not sure though.

You obviously know very few people in the construction industry. Builders not developers.

The only reason there were so many jobs available in that industry in the recent past is that developers were building all manner of shit that wasn't needed. The construction industry was always going to take a massive hit, because in recent years there have been far more buildings being supplied than demanded, which means a lot of people were working when they wouldn't have been otherwise.
In fact, as far as the construction industry goes, the shit probably would have hit the fan years ago if it hadn't been for the massive influx of immigrants coming to Ireland to work and looking for places to live.
The reason they ended up in the shit there is that all of a sudden because of all the recent headlines, rich fuckers have stopped buying their second houses to rent out to people, and shit like that; so all of a sudden there's these brand new houses all over the place that developers have built thinking "Ah we'll make a fortune here" that no-one is buying off them.
It's just another example of an industry utterly dominated by greed. I saw some developer in Galway on the news sitting in front of a brand new housing estate bemoaning the fact that no-one is buying his houses. Guaranteed, he was probably making €500,000+ for himself on that one estate. I probably won't have that much money in my whole life, and this cunt is on the news looking for people to give him cash.
Property developers in Ireland over the past 10 years have made an absolute fucking fortune. Bill Gates is probably fucking jealous of them. But now they've got all these unsold properties sitting about, they're acting like they're all fucking broke and of course the vast majority of the people who lose their jobs are the poor bastards on the shittiest wages.
It is actually probably the case that the current budget difficulties could have been avoided if the government had been taxing the shit out of rich property developers over the years. It would certainly have accounted for millions of extra income. But that was never happening, because most of the politicians are involved in some dodgy property deal somewhere that's set to net them a big bundle of cash, so they'd never try to come down on the people that are making them money. Sure just ask Bertie, that's the sort of shit I'm sure he knows all about.

I dabble in construction.It rocks.The so called economic downturn makes people want extensions instead of moving.kerching

There was a class documentary on Channel 4 there during the week, called "Bobski the builder".
It compared a Polish building crew to an English building crew, both building the same kind of house extension.

The English crew, who get all the work cause people don't want to employ the foreigners, quoted £16,000 and 8 weeks. They spent more than that, took about 16 weeks, and did a completely shit job, the place was near falling down, gaping holes in the mortar etc. etc. etc. At one point they didn't do any work on the property for about 3 weeks. In fact it took them about 3 weeks to dig the foundations. The guy who hired them said he would never ever use an English crew to do building work ever again.

The Polish crew, who get fuck all work because people won't employ them, have to quote £12,800 for an 8 week job just to get work, so they don't make much money anyway. They spent about £500 over that, got the job done in 8 weeks and 1 day, and did a completely bang up job. They made a couple of mistakes but fixed them in the process, and even put in a bunch of extra stuff for no extra charge. They dug the foundations in 1 day and worked 6 days a week usually 10 hours a day. However, the people who hired them were cunts, and were going mental because they were £500 over the price and 1 day over. They said they'd never hire a Polish crew again, because they were wankers basically.

The whole way through the documentary, the boss of the English crew was being a racist cunt and acting like he was doing the greatest job in the world and all this shit. The boss of the Polish crew seemed like a lovely guy, wife and kid and all, I bet he'll get sixty times more work after that documentary than before hand.
Basically the English crew just seemed like the typical builder stereotype, total pricks, whereas the Polish crew seemed sound.

The only reason there were so many jobs available in that industry in the recent past is that developers were building all manner of shit that wasn't needed. The construction industry was always going to take a massive hit, because in recent years there have been far more buildings being supplied than demanded, which means a lot of people were working when they wouldn't have been otherwise.
In fact, as far as the construction industry goes, the shit probably would have hit the fan years ago if it hadn't been for the massive influx of immigrants coming to Ireland to work and looking for places to live.
The reason they ended up in the shit there is that all of a sudden because of all the recent headlines, rich fuckers have stopped buying their second houses to rent out to people, and shit like that; so all of a sudden there's these brand new houses all over the place that developers have built thinking "Ah we'll make a fortune here" that no-one is buying off them.
It's just another example of an industry utterly dominated by greed. I saw some developer in Galway on the news sitting in front of a brand new housing estate bemoaning the fact that no-one is buying his houses. Guaranteed, he was probably making €500,000+ for himself on that one estate. I probably won't have that much money in my whole life, and this cunt is on the news looking for people to give him cash.
Property developers in Ireland over the past 10 years have made an absolute fucking fortune. Bill Gates is probably fucking jealous of them. But now they've got all these unsold properties sitting about, they're acting like they're all fucking broke and of course the vast majority of the people who lose their jobs are the poor bastards on the shittiest wages.
It is actually probably the case that the current budget difficulties could have been avoided if the government had been taxing the shit out of rich property developers over the years. It would certainly have accounted for millions of extra income. But that was never happening, because most of the politicians are involved in some dodgy property deal somewhere that's set to net them a big bundle of cash, so they'd never try to come down on the people that are making them money. Sure just ask Bertie, that's the sort of shit I'm sure he knows all about.

Yes, I know the recent history of this country. I'm not sure if I see your point though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back