Older Dublin Venues (1 Viewer)

you might see some venues listed here Document : A Story of Hope

As for old punk gigs. The magnet on pearse street was a regular as was the Ivy Rooms on Parnell Street, now Fibber Magees.

Have you seen the piece on come here to me
Dublin Punk & New Wave Venues (1976-84) | Come here to me!

November 26

Drop Dead, John Holmes

Clodaghs

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

good times

The Underground, Dame street... ( where the left door into Club Lapello now is... )... Small place, weird stage... saw Jam Jar Jail in there several times and a few mates bands...

The Anna Livia in Temple Bar ( when temple bar was dirty and cultural )... now Oliver St John Gogarty's... an interesting spot... Toilets always seemed to be kicked in... Best night I had in there was probably Pet Lamb and Sultans Of Ping ( just before their first EP )...

The Roxy, Little Green Street... ( bridged the gap between Barnstormers and Mulligans on Hill Street for punk gigs ( 1992?? ) ...Female Mud wrestling friday, Punk gigs Saturday... Classy!!!... Now Noor Madina ( asian food warehouse/wholesalers )...

Earl Grattan... Became Nealon's on Capel street... fine spot for small bands... Organised a gig celebrating the death of Ian Stuart Donaldson in there in 1993 - Dr Shitface, Pincher Martin, Onionbreath, Stigmatamartyr... that was a soap opera!!

The Furnace, Round the side of the Virgin Megastore ... Big place... Memorable gigs by Nomeansno ('94) and ( in particular ) Chumbawamba ('95) who were at their peak as a live band...

...also once upon a time it was possible to see regular quality gigs in the JCR & The Buttery in Trinity and occasionally in some of the other colleges ( usually round freshers/rag week etc ) depending on how clued in the Ents officer was... Dance music kind of killed all of this off...
At one point it seemed like The Buttery had stuff on every Friday round 1990... Cowboy Killers, Senseless Things, 7 Kevins, Whipping Boy, Therapy etc...

Jawbreaker played the Furnace,I think,and did Quicksand play the Earl Grattan ?

I'm really surprised at how many of the venues in this thread I (vaguely) remember going to gigs in.

Yup... Jawbreaker played the Mezzanine level in the Furnace, not the main stage... Quicksand played in Charlie's on a Saturday afternoon and then in the social area of Bolton street on the following Monday lunchtime...

Yup... Jawbreaker played the Mezzanine level in the Furnace, not the main stage... Quicksand played in Charlie's on a Saturday afternoon and then in the social area of Bolton street on the following Monday lunchtime...

Quicksand played 3,maybe 4 gigs in dublin I'm sure. Although I'm now thinking it was some other gig I saw in the Earl Grattan. No idea what though.

Mulligan's on Hill street was an interesting one...

Although it was only around the corner from Fibber's, it definitely felt like bandit country to some people... Mulligan's was one of the few pubs in the city that served travellers at the time ( a few people here will "fondly" recall the hiace on fire crashed into the side of the pub one evening prior to a gig ) ...

The venue was upstairs and the top floor had rehearsal space and a recording studio. Very many memorable gigs there including Leatherface, Radical Dance Faction, Chaos UK, Midway Still, Citizen Fish, AOS3, Life But How To Live It, Coitus, early Hellvision / Striknien DC gigs and a bunch of other stuff that memory is unkind to... The RDF gigs ( 2, I think ) were the pinnacle of it all...

Striknien DC, Chaos UK and RDF definitely recorded releases in the top floor studio...

After the pub closed, a certain person still had the keys so the rehearsal space remained in use on a semi squat basis by a small cluster of punk bands into early/mid 1995 ( with electricity tapped from a neighbouring car park )... Last time I ever rehearsed there, the local kids had got bored with throwing rocks and golf balls through the windows whenever they heard band noise... their new adventure was to break into the keg cellar via the pavement and set the place on fire!!... time to move on!!

Today it looks like this...

Screenshot2014-09-04at161715.png

issac butts, although it was pretty shit for gigs.

What was the name of the place below The Mezz? Is that or the mezz still open?

Went to see Mono there a few years ago

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back