Northern Ireland (1 Viewer)

The quoted cost is actually not very far off what the UK exchequer itself currently spends on NI a year.
The latest figure made public I think was 15 billion gbp which also tends to increase on year.

As I understand it some of what the UK treasury puts on the cost of NI is a bit of an accountants trick, not them being tricky, it's just that things need to be accounted for.

Like say the UK MOD budget, "someone" has to be paying it so they load some of it onto the cost of running Northern Ireland. (and Scotland, and Wales, and so on) but in a post unification scenario the North wouldn't have that amount allocated onto its running costs.

Obviously it'll cost something in a financial sense to do it but there seems to be a lot of noise about the figures. Those that are agin' it will find a really big number, those for it will find a less big number.

There's also the potential financial plusses to doing it to consider.

Ultimately it'll come down to vibes and not money. I drove to Donegal via Tyrone last summer and it stuck me harder than ever just how geographically absurd the border is. That won't matter to the people in the north who don't favour change, they just want to stay British, they've got Brit vibes. Similarly if you're for unity, whether you're from the north or south arguments against it WRT costs or losing whatever is actually better about being part of the UK as opposed to letting Dubin handle something won't wash much, your vibes are unity vibes.

My feeling is that it's surely inevitable. It'd be a bad idea to run a border poll until they're sure it'll pass. In the meantime there's an awful lot we can do as a country for ourselves that might as a bonus lessen some of the bad vibes felt by the people who aren't going to be happy about it at all. I know there'll be people who feel another day is another day too long but in the grand scheme people's lives in the North won't be disrupted too much day to day because it won't really matter if you're governed by cunts in London or not because when we got rid of our London cunts we just let another bunch of cunts take over. I think Connolly said something like that with fewer "cunts."

Having said all that, maybe 14 years of Tory rule, being dragged out of the EU by the English and the Welsh etc might have done something to move the needle for some of the more practically minded unionist population. Ultimately you don't need to love the country you live in, you don't need to have any particular loyalty or affection for it, you just need to be able to live there. Demonstrate to people that their lives might be better as part of a single island nation maybe you'll get a yes on a border poll sooner.

Ultimately it'll come down to vibes and not money. I drove to Donegal via Tyrone last summer and it stuck me harder than ever just how geographically absurd the border is. That won't matter to the people in the north who don't favour change, they just want to stay British, they've got Brit vibes. Similarly if you're for unity, whether you're from the north or south arguments against it WRT costs or losing whatever is actually better about being part of the UK as opposed to letting Dubin handle something won't wash much, your vibes are unity vibes.
I'd say people who don't have a position one way or the other might be more common, and to them stuff like cost and how much of a pain in the hole unification might be are what will decide how they vote

We wont actually have to do it ourselves though. People on TV will do it, just like brexit and what not, so it it'll just be bad TV for three years.
I requires a lot of discussion though. The people who think they live in England and that the English people care about them lost their queen and she was a sorta once in a few hundred years figurehead in ways - normally they don't last that long. The generation of unionists who don't have that will decide which way it blows probaby.

Everywhere looks the same anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back