laptop 50hz noise? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter ogy
  • Start date
  • Replies 10
  • Views 1K
  • Watchers 0

ogy

hi folks,
recording a friends band in their house over the last few days and came across this problem for the first time. When the laptop is plugged in i get some crazy noises through the monitors, a rhythmic stuttering (possibly 50hz electricity frequency?) and other stranger noises which are like filtered white noise.

so to get round it before i hit record i have to plug out the laptop and while this is workable its a bit of a pain in the arse especially if we do a lot of takes then have to take a break while the laptop recharges.

ive tried using extension leads to plug the speakers and laptop and audio interface into different plugs all around the house in different combinations to ensure its not because two things are plugged on the same spur or whatever (you may have noticed my grasp of electronics is pretty vague). ive also tried plugging out or turning off the oven, washing machine, toaster, tv etc:)

anyway just wondering if theres any crafty ways round this or anything i can buy in maplins (other than a load of spare batteries) that will sort it out?

thanks

I had the same thing, as I said in the thread linked above, the only thing that really worked was plugging everything audio in the same socket, and using only balanced cables.

i have this chronic, it was pisssing me off so much that i recorded a bunch of it and amplified the shit out of it just to figure out what it was. Taxi's. taxi radio, you can hear the engines accelerate and the break in the engines as it goes to muffled dialogue when they were taking a call. i just try and work between 5am and 7am if its going to be a real quite recording. no cabs about then. there's no dell in my gaff though.

i have this chronic, it was pisssing me off so much that i recorded a bunch of it and amplified the shit out of it just to figure out what it was. Taxi's. taxi radio, you can hear the engines accelerate and the break in the engines as it goes to muffled dialogue when they were taking a call. i just try and work between 5am and 7am if its going to be a real quite recording. no cabs about then. there's no dell in my gaff though.

You must of had a field day over the weekend with all the petrol heads and their cb radios.

ah it doesnt come through clear enough to pick up any pearls of wisdom from the rally community, but i did time the recordin for 9-10 as all the shams were in the mt errigal for the prizegiving around then.
the buncrana fyts on utube now. sorry for thread hi-jacking.

ah it doesnt come through clear enough to pick up any pearls of wisdom from the rally community, but i did time the recordin for 9-10 as all the shams were in the mt errigal for the prizegiving around then.
the buncrana fyts on utube now. sorry for thread hi-jacking.

Cunts.

Just two cents... Tear down to the nearest Go Harvey Go! (ex-employee) or DID and pick up a monster hts1000 powerboard. Power cleaning socket boards actually help a bit. And monster time correct instrument cable is quite good too. I never would have thought the quality cable and power supply helps as much as it does. Either way, i've got train tracks right out back. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back