Just signed up for Bluesky (1 Viewer)

Bluesky saw a total of 53,585 new signups by the end of Tuesday, September 19. The new users gained in that single day make up 5 percent of the platform's entire user base of 1,125,499 total accounts.

Meanwhile

Within the first few hours of its launch on 5 July, Threads garnered 5m user registrations and within less than a week at least 100 million people had signed up for the app. But, three weeks later, active daily use or the number of users who engage with the site on a daily basis has dropped, from a peak of 49 million on 7 July to 12 million on 22 July, according to Similarweb.

Even on its busiest day, usership of Threads was less than half of Twitter’s, according to the data. Twitter averages more than 100 million active daily users.

“Most of those who still use Twitter regularly will continue doing so at about the same rate,” said David Carr, senior insights manager at Similarweb.

In my own bubble, about 40% of the Twitter activity i see is marketing, just people and companies posting links to their content from other sources - links to news articles, brand marketing stuff, new threads from your favourite message board - and the replies to these. Lots of this is completely automated.

About 20% is people posting politicalish/activismish stuff.

30% feels like ads.

There’s very little of the actual humans organically talking to each other that was a mainstay of Twitter BACK IN THE DAY.

Bluesky seems to have cornered that… at least for now.

In my own bubble, about 40% of the Twitter activity i see is marketing, just people and companies posting links to their content from other sources - links to news articles, brand marketing stuff, new threads from your favourite message board - and the replies to these. Lots of this is completely automated.

About 20% is people posting politicalish/activismish stuff.

30% feels like ads.

There’s very little of the actual humans organically talking to each other that was a mainstay of Twitter BACK IN THE DAY.

Bluesky seems to have cornered that… at least for now.

"Football twitter" has remained for the most part mainly functional and lively up until quite recently*, but I've noticed a lot of the people that I used to talk have in the last couple of months quietened down, I think the general bad vibe around the place is making people ease off even if their own personal sphere works ok.

* Once you ignore the really horrible toxicity WRT football culture that has always existed there

I've kept a bluesky tab open on my browser for much of this week. It seems quite slow paced in terms of new posts compared to the looking at the matrix fly by nature of twitter a couple of years ago.

I have literally low single digit days on Bluesky so far so I might be completely wrong.

I really only drop into Twitter when I get a notification now. Almost all of “my” activity there is automated.

For the moment I suspect the point where they stop it being an invite gig is the point where it becomes useful in any way to me.

The kids love tik tok , snap is becoming a legacy messenger, insta has somehow remained pure. Twitter 2.0 isn't of interest under a certain age/culture line

That said, if signing up helps extract millions of euro from Elon Musk in public then I'm in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back